Zeus

Melt-Banana - Fetch

Score: :4.0: | The Japanese noise rock titans are back!!

...although it's debatable if they ever went anywhere to begin with.

Fetch is a righteous kick in the ass. It has everything I've come to love about Melt-Banana - the chirpy vocals with unintelligible lyrics, the smorgasboard of guitar sounds that even Sigh would be jealous of, spastic drums, meaty bass, and songs that race by at a mile a minute. All has been quiet on the melty banana front for a while, and the three-piece is now a two-piece, but the band proves they still have what it takes to be considered noise rock titans.

Fetch isn't about the music; it's about the experience (much like how you probably don't want to be strapped to the top of a speeding car but the adrenaline rush is undeniable). It's pure energy pressed to disc and the production is acceptably lo-fi, which adds to the overall craziness Melt-Banana embodies. There is a definite improvement over Cell-Scape and Bambi's Dilemma here in that the songs fit together very well. Short songs and long songs work well together and the pace doesn't stop right up until the end, where it slows down just enough to speed right back up and end the album with a bang. Or bang#53, since there are about 52 other sound effects that did the same thing in all the previous tracks. On multiple listens, once you peel back the layers, you'll come to have an appreciation for how well the noise is integrated into the music. It's simple but complex at the same time.

Fetch isn't an easy album to listen to. It disregards a lot of what people have come to expect from their musical experience. It blends noise and music in a way that makes you either like it or hate it. There is no middle ground. If you don't mind high-pitched female vocals, evolving song structures and a lot of experimentation, Fetch may find a place in your heart. Stick with the title track Candy Gun, which serves as a composite for the entire album. If you like it, you'll like Fetch. If you don't, you won't.

Or if you've ever wondered what Pikachu sounds like fronting a metal band, that's cool too.

This release is simply flawless. 

But then again, Melt Banana has always been consistent with amazing releases. This one in particular, is my favorite at the moment, with Bambi's Dilemma coming in as a close second. Which is kind of saying a lot, considering Bambi's Dilemma has been my No. 1 for quite some time. 

One thing that brought me to love Melt Banana was their vocalist and I'm glad she still has that same quirky, high-pitched sound that keeps bringing me back for more.

I had quite a hard time picking a favorite from this album, but I'd have to say "Infection Deflection" is my personal pick. The guitar-work is just fantastic. Not to mention the bass, which really brings out the best in this song. It really gives you this old Melt Banana "vibe",for lack of a better word.

Overall I believe this album really deserves a;  :5.0:

Score: :4.0: | The Japanese noise rock titans are back!!

...although it's debatable if they ever went anywhere to begin with.

Fetch is a righteous kick in the ass. It has everything I've come to love about Melt-Banana - the chirpy vocals with unintelligible lyrics, the smorgasboard of guitar sounds that even Sigh would be jealous of, spastic drums, meaty bass, and songs that race by at a mile a minute. All has been quiet on the melty banana front for a while, and the three-piece is now a two-piece, but the band proves they still have what it takes to be considered noise rock titans.

Fetch isn't about the music; it's about the experience (much like how you probably don't want to be strapped to the top of a speeding car but the adrenaline rush is undeniable). It's pure energy pressed to disc and the production is acceptably lo-fi, which adds to the overall craziness Melt-Banana embodies. There is a definite improvement over Cell-Scape and Bambi's Dilemma here in that the songs fit together very well. Short songs and long songs work well together and the pace doesn't stop right up until the end, where it slows down just enough to speed right back up and end the album with a bang. Or bang#53, since there are about 52 other sound effects that did the same thing in all the previous tracks. On multiple listens, once you peel back the layers, you'll come to have an appreciation for how well the noise is integrated into the music. It's simple but complex at the same time.

Fetch isn't an easy album to listen to. It disregards a lot of what people have come to expect from their musical experience. It blends noise and music in a way that makes you either like it or hate it. There is no middle ground. If you don't mind high-pitched female vocals, evolving song structures and a lot of experimentation, Fetch may find a place in your heart. Stick with the title track Candy Gun, which serves as a composite for the entire album. If you like it, you'll like Fetch. If you don't, you won't.

Or if you've ever wondered what Pikachu sounds like fronting a metal band, that's cool too.

I fully support what you wrote , but i would give them  :5.0:

I guess some people aren't set up to enjoy certain types of music. For me at this point in my life, that is Melt-Banana.

To put it bluntly, I found this album kind of annoying. There were some songs where I didn't mind like Left Dog (Run, Caper, Run) but then there were others that I just wanted to flat out skip. For example, My Missing Link just felt song. The vocals, the guitars, and the drums just felt so at odds with each other. There are certain points in the song where the guitar disappears from the foreground and we have the squeeky vocals and the drums with these awkward tom tom hits and it just feels so wrong.

I'm not about to say that this album is a crime against humanity or anything...there is stuff even for me to like (like the entire first half of Candy Gun). But I can say that I don't think I will ever listen to anything on this album on purpose again. Keep on thinking this sounds like Deerhoof put on fast forward lol.

:1.5:

I guess some people aren't set up to enjoy certain types of music. For me at this point in my life, that is Melt-Banana...

haven't listened to it yet but will later, just out of curiosity, the disliking is more towards this album in particular, or melt-banana in general?

haven't listened to it yet but will later, just out of curiosity, the disliking is more towards this album in particular, or melt-banana in general?

I couldn't tell you, I haven't listened to any of their other work.

Just thought I would mention this since I thought it was cool, but Rolling Stones mentioned this album in thier 20 best metal albums of 2013.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-best-metal-albums-of-2013-20131211/melt-banana-fetch-19691231