Rize

Meku from GALEYD leaving the band due to musical difference

"Something big happened and this is a really bad cover for it. The main composer doesn't suddenly leave the band because he doesn't like the direction the music is taking."

It does happen, though. And based on Meku's statements, it sounds more to me like the leadership role on which he basically founded the band is being wrested away from him by having to compromise on things and it has been that way for a long time.

Usually, I'm the first to call bullshit on the "musical differences" excuse, but this IS a legitimate thing that comes up sometimes and drives bands apart.

Don't take it so literally and think that it necessarily means differences in the style of music. I'm sure it does to some extent, but "musical differences" can very well cover differences of opinion between band members on other things in the band -- ie, what kind of performances to put on, what kind of offers to take and from what kind of companies, what kind of costumes to wear, what kind of behavioral/financial/whatever values to adopt.

It's like a marriage. Maybe it takes being in a band yourself to really get it, I know; from the outside it doesn't seem like it could work that way.

But producing ONE package (performance, public image, AND music) between four or five people takes a lot of compromising and a lot of flared tempers at times. There are going to be things that are "smaller" than the purpose of the band that you just disregard and keep moving forward, but when the very basis of the existence of the band or your part in it has been nullified, there's no reason to continue on in the band. When problems get that big, you leave.

It's not always about someone stealing money, sleeping around, skipping practices, being an egomaniac, or committing "inhuman acts" (harhar).

Meku can't function in GALEYD anymore. It is what it is.

@Zess

You would be very surprised to know there are many guitarists at that level in Japan =P Every year the amount of HUGE talent that graduates from MIT and other places is bigger in number. It is not impossible or unlikely they could get a new guitarist at Meku's level. However finding someone who can match the same STYLE is an entirely different story. The only people that come to mind when I think of Meku's style is Leda. Im sure there are others im just not aware of.

My point is, people should stop saying that its unlikely to find someone at meku's level because he isnt a beyond god guitarist. The skills he presented are only above average of what you can expect form anyone at that age who is serious about guitar in japan.

P.S. Toki is also a composer and driving force of the band. Meku didnt create EVERYTHING in Galeyd. The sound style of revolution and flee from reality and beyond is what Meku doesnt like very much.

Read what the person below you wrote. It's about more than Just raw skill, although that is going to be the biggest stumbling block for GALEYD in terms of finding a replacement. Meku Did a lot. A whole lot. He may not have done everything but he doesn't have to in order to be irreplaceable. Finding a guitarist at his level willing to fill in permanently and take over his old Position is a Hail Mary. Guitarists like Meku tend to Want to start their own band not Join one. Unless they have a Replacement already or are hellbent on changing direction entirely I don't have a clue how they want to progress.

At the end of the day it's Meku's guitar playing that made GALEYD stand out from everyone else in their scene. They cannot afford to lose that.

"Something big happened and this is a really bad cover for it. The main composer doesn't suddenly leave the band because he doesn't like the direction the music is taking."

It does happen, though. And based on Meku's statements, it sounds more to me like the leadership role on which he basically founded the band is being wrested away from him by having to compromise on things and it has been that way for a long time.

Usually, I'm the first to call bullshit on the "musical differences" excuse, but this IS a legitimate thing that comes up sometimes and drives bands apart.

Don't take it so literally and think that it necessarily means differences in the style of music. I'm sure it does to some extent, but "musical differences" can very well cover differences of opinion between band members on other things in the band -- ie, what kind of performances to put on, what kind of offers to take and from what kind of companies, what kind of costumes to wear, what kind of behavioral/financial/whatever values to adopt.

It's like a marriage. Maybe it takes being in a band yourself to really get it, I know; from the outside it doesn't seem like it could work that way.

But producing ONE package (performance, public image, AND music) between four or five people takes a lot of compromising and a lot of flared tempers at times. There are going to be things that are "smaller" than the purpose of the band that you just disregard and keep moving forward, but when the very basis of the existence of the band or your part in it has been nullified, there's no reason to continue on in the band. When problems get that big, you leave.

It's not always about someone stealing money, sleeping around, skipping practices, being an egomaniac, or committing "inhuman acts" (harhar).

Meku can't function in GALEYD anymore. It is what it is.

I consider That "big", Don't you?

Oh I'm very well aware that it happens. One of my favorite bands never was the same after the primary composer left. So you are right in that regard. What I've learned from my time in the scene is that we can never tell what's really going on in the present. Hindsight is a wonderful gift. Maybe in a few months we'll be able to say for sure what happened (or didn't). For now we have to take Meku at his word and wait for the band to respond With their plans for moving forward.

Oh I'm very well aware that it happens. One of my favorite bands never was the same after the primary composer left. So you are right in that regard. What I've learned from my time in the scene is tjat we can never tell what's really going on in the present. Hindsight is a wonderful gift. Maybe in a few months we'll be able to say for sure what happened (or didn't). For now we have to take Meku at his word and wait for the band to respond qith their plans for moving forward.

Touche; it's basically impossible to know if they're telling the whole story or not.

Read what the person below you wrote. It's about more than Just raw skill, although that is going to be the biggest stumbling block for GALEYD in terms of finding a replacement. Meku Did a lot. A whole lot. He may not have done everything but he doesn't have to in order to be irreplaceable. Finding a guitarist at his level willing to fill in permanently and take over his old Position is a Hail Mary. Guitarists like Meku tend to Want to start their own band not Join one. Unless they have a Replacement already or are hellbent on changing direction entirely I don't have a clue how they want to progress.

At the end of the day it's Meku's guitar playing that made GALEYD stand out from everyone else in their scene. They cannot afford to lose that.

I consider That "big", Don't you?

Oh I'm very well aware that it happens. One of my favorite bands never was the same after the primary composer left. So you are right in that regard. What I've learned from my time in the scene is that we can never tell what's really going on in the present. Hindsight is a wonderful gift. Maybe in a few months we'll be able to say for sure what happened (or didn't). For now we have to take Meku at his word and wait for the band to respond With their plans for moving forward.

It seems like you didnt get what I said =( I already agreed finding someone with Meku's musical aura will be difficult. Its just the point of someone on his level of skill isnt as hard.

Also their early releases borrowed a lot of inspiration from Deluhi =P Even during their early lives Meku would play a chord progression while Garo sings the chorus to precious heart in a ballad sense without the bass or drums going, EXACTLY the way Juri would sing the chorus to orion once again while Leda plays the ballad like chord progression intro then they would actually play the whole orion once again song. It was literally almost the SAME chord progression but made for precious heart XD I found it amazing regardless.

But thats one of the core reasons why they got alot of early attention. You could even see it in the comments and a lot of message boards in japan. tons and tons of fans that couldnt get over the loss of Deluhi ether loved or hated galeyd. Mostly loved. Meku put alot of Leda, Syu and even some Hizaki / Paul Gilbert classical play into the songs. Galeyd is in no way a copy of Deluhi but no one with any good music ear will deny these things. It was only until Revolution and beyond that they started to TRULY be stand alone in terms of musical sound. And Meku had little to do with those compositions compared to previous songs. In fact he doesnt like the sound from revolution onward hence the discussion of him leaving since that sound was even conceived.

This is really bad news for GALEYD.   :(

Oh and hi Tsumiya, never knew you were a member here too.

I agree but am hopefully optimistic that Galeyd could potentially be BETTER with a new guitarist as well as Meku sounding even better with his new project since he wont be conflicting with Toki anymore =) 

And yes I have been around here for a little bit now ٩(╹▿╹)۶ Its so great to see you !

Tenten had other bands before chemical pictures ;; actually like meku tenten had this curse of making bands and leaving them 8'D either way galeyd has become one of my favorites but if disbanding is the only answer to them not going the lycaon route... I'd rather they disbanded ;; I get the whole comparison to deluhi.... But I listened to deluhi and I didn't really get in to them I think galeyd still sounds different... But yeah... Leda probably wouldn't join galeyd anyway lol.

Yes, it's true that Meku's skillset can be replaced but that's about it, you cannot replace the thoughts and technique styles that were brought to the table by Meku. Is Meku the sole composer of all songs GALEYD? No, but he might as well be called that. Toki did compose some of his own but even then that's not enough right now what with Meku's departure soon to happen. Toki is basically what Aggy was to DELUHI, most of the time he is barely audible and he took a backseat to most of what went on. Maybe live he's different, but in the studio he isn't. I can be blasting my studio headphones or my beautiful SONY speakers and try to focus only on the bass and I still won't be able to hear him. GALEYD is seriously suffering a major blow right here with the loss of Meku and like Zess said, if they do come back from this then it will be very surprising. Honestly, to me, Meku was the driving force of my passion for GALEYD. Will they maybe find a replacement who can play Meku's parts live? Sure. Will they find someone who can bring forth the awesomeness of Meku that reminds me so much of Leda? Not likely.

All I hope for is that Meku continues on, and to hopefully see GALEYD recover, however unlikely that might be. When you lose a member, the whole band tends to change style. We saw this with Lolita23q (even though a vocalist change is way more dramatic).

SET-LIST at 2013/07/15:

01.Revolution
02.Eyes of Insanity
03.RELADR
04.Hysteric Liar
05.future world
06.I'll be there for you
07.Messiah
08.PANDORA
09.Calling Angel
10.Slip of my Life
11.Eternity
12.FLEE FROM REALITY
drums solo
13.Shangri-la
14.Masquerade
15.D.Z.I.

EN1
01.Mebius Trip
02.Crazy Angel
03.precious heart

EN2
guitar solo
01.Crimson Chain
02.Replica

It basically had all their disco minus DEAD OR ALIVE which was their worst song to date... along with Masquerade. So, all in all, a damn good setlist