Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Besides Jrock

Okay so besides listening to jrock bands anyone else here listen to any other genre of music from japan? Or have any favorite artists, singers bands etc. that aren't in the jrock section?

Well, let me think about it..

The Eccentric Opera : a mix of techno and opera, quite special! It's not everybody who like this music. I do ^^ but they don't really sing in Japanese, actually..

theeccentricoperatb1.jpg

There are a lot of good japanese electro bands..

I love Kaya. His voice is beautiful <3

kaya_16.jpg

oOh thats cool. Know any other good japanese electro bands? I'm into electro too except I don't really know any good electro bands in japanese.

i really like MONO (a post-rock band without vocals), they are especially impressive live.

Darkwave, noise, metal ( it's not rock. >_> ), some classical japanese ( Yoshida Brothers count as that? ), electronica and probably more...

metal isn't j-rock? of course it is isn't it?

ne way i listen to pretty much everything xD except for enka (cuz i don't really like the voices that much) and all those H!P &johnny's type bands (also because i more times than not can't stand the voices =/)

sadly i'm not too good with naming things in other genres but you can always click on my last.fm even though it's not completely accurate but i guess it's better then me trying to name everything and then failing at it xD

i like jpop(ayumi hamasaki, namie amuro, shiina ringo, etc etc) and techno(bespa kumamero, 2 bullet, aura vampire,BAAL, i also like sisen but i know he doesn't really make music but i would love to see him live._.).

Cool cool. I'm pretty much open to any genre so I try to listen to other genres' Keyword try. I can usually only get my hands on Jrock and Jpop.

Any sort of metal (if you don't consider it to be a subgenre of rock) that isn't metalcore, darkwave, industrial, experimental, avant-garde (herp derp), droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone, nu-jazz, electropop and synthpop a'la immi or Yellow Magic Orchestra. I'll listen to basically anything, the same goes for music that isn't Japanese.

I'm not a fan of Japanese pop music, though. Ironically, I do enjoy some Korean pop music. I love Ryuichi Sakamoto a lot too.

Envy is one of the best Screamo band ever.

I highly recommend "A Dead Sinking Story" and "Insomniac Doze".

Japan has also a lot of good post rock bands like MONO and sleepy.ab.

If the above post was directed at me mentioning VK, I don't either! I only brought it up because I'll never understand why VK is so popular. It baffles me and it seemed fitting to compare the popularity or lack thereof of the two. If it wasn't, ignore this!

But how can anything that isn't pop be simply (j)rock?

I forgot to add some traditional Japanese music. I like that too.

Nah, I was more noticing most of the replies in here mentioning other forms of rock and it made me think people consider the term Jrock to only apply to VK.

And I should correct that about the pop....so instead, to me, anything that is basically rock is Jrock. Post-rock, alt-rock, someotherkindof rock.

But like I said, this is a weird thread, lol. It basically got me thinking of pop/urban/electronica acts as opposed to Jrock

Since a year or so I'm digging folk pretty much. For example folk-rock from bands as The Takedagumi, The Emmanuelle Sunflower and TERUCOHAIMEN, but also folk-pop, such as Tenohira, c. cedille, Predawn and NGATARI, to the regular folk as Abe Akira, Nakamura Mari etc

Pop I guess. Nana Mizuki, YUI and Utada Hikaru mostly.

Besides those, I've never really been into genres like jazz, blues, electro, hiphop etc. I can like these other genres but they have to be mixed with rock it seems. For example, Boom Boom Satellites are cool. They mix electronic music with rock.

Rock is pretty much the basic ingredient for me. It just has to be there for some reason.

i wonder if anyone hear depapepe here?

I don't know if they are underrated or not,

what i know is, their music definitely cool.

Everyone, especially them who love guitar and/or guitarist should check them out!

I do listen to some pop like YUI, Shiina Ringo [does that count? Yeah, well.], Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro and such, besides J-rock. Another boybands also ever being there to drug me on.. But now. Not anymore.

Only Mono, Boris and Sigh at the moment :(

Suprised that nobody has mentioned Crossfaith, as it seems to be the shit these days. To be honest with you i'd rather suffocate on my own vomit than listen to them, judging from what i've heard so far.

I listen to a lot of J-pop, mostly boy-bandy stuff (ARASHI, NEWS, KAT-TUN, etc..) Ayu, hikki, Nana Tanimura, Nami Tamaki, and I like some enka, but I only really know Jero. :D ~D

Uh, I forgot Boris! They're so good!

And Crossfaith are not bad, but they sound similar to 38467862 other bands...

Only Mono, Boris and Sigh at the moment :(

Suprised that nobody has mentioned Crossfaith, as it seems to be the shit these days. To be honest with you i'd rather suffocate on my own vomit than listen to them, judging from what i've heard so far.

Lol, I'd have to agree with you on Crossfaith.

Sign in to follow this