Sign in to follow this  
Aion

The Song Review Game!

Yeah, threadname sucks, but couldn't think of anything other to name it xD

The idea is simple. Every reply on this thread has to give a short review of the previous poster's song.

For example

poster 1 -> posts 'metronome - isshuukan'

poster 2 -> gives a short opinion about metronome - isshuukan, and posts ACIDMAN - shinsekai

poster 3 -> gives a short opinion about ACIDMAN - shinsekai, and posts Dir en Grey - Child Prey

etc

It would be nice if you review the previous poster's song with about 5 sentences. Not just 'COOL SONG' or 'THIS SONG SUCKS!!!'. State what you like or didn't like etc.

Most of all, keep it civil =)

So, to start of this game:

carib jams - キエフ

I love the distortion and the punk-ish feel of this song. The name of the band misled me a bit - I was completely expecting something else. First, the bassist is fucking bad ass - I can't get enough of him. The vocalist reminds me a lot of Gendo Takebayashi from Cowpers/Spiral Chord, I almost thought it was him at first. Overall, it's a cool song, but nothing particularly epic.

(Great thread btw)

This song has just been in my head all day. . .:/

Kimonos - No Modern Animal

This never stuck? Wow, gotta bring this back!

I was expecting something traditional with such a name. I like how it does sound traditional with a bit of a funky and tribal like sounds to it. I was also thinking it was just going to be an intrumental, a repetition of sounds, which I would so approve of. When the vocals kicked in, I was taken aback and prefered it with only the intruments. I do like the lyrical repetition and 'na na na na na na's. The vocals itself aren't all that catchy compared to the music, but it works. It's something I wouldn't mind coming back to actually. A really nice jam!

ROBOTS IN DISGUISE - 'The Tears' - Featuring NOEL FIELDING

I've never heard of this band, but this song seems to be a very straightforward, pop-punkish track with a bit of a piano and some random electronic elements. The vocals kind of remind me of the vocalist from scanners, who are also from the UK incidentally. While not "bad" per se, there's not really anything going on in this song melodically (vocally or instrumentally) that manages to grab my attention. Lyrics are also something that I normally don't pay attention to (unless they're strikingly effective in a positive or negative way), and perhaps if I did. then I'd probably have more to latch on to in this song. This is a pleasant listen, but just a bit ho-hum for me overall.

:2.5:

Next:

凛として時雨 - replica

凛として時雨 - replica

I think at this point LTS deserves no introduction among J-indie enthusiasts and perhaps even among most standard J-pop fans these days. "Replica" pretty much goes well for being a straightforward showcase of the way how TK and co. amalgamate the buzzsaw assault of whacky guitar licks, trebled-to-the-max basslines and TK's high key rage with a couple of memorable hooks/choruses. Might not be the most outstanding track in "still a Sigure Virgin?", but surely it's a great song that gets this band's tight, succinct statement across.

:4.0:

NEXT:

Towa Tei feat. Kylie Minogue - Sometime Samurai

Towa Tei ft Kylie Minogue - Sometimes Samurai

This is tough, because on one hand Towa Tei is one of the greatest living Japanese composers/arrangers/musicians and on the other, Kylie is more washed up than Natalie Wood with a vocal range to match. Thankfully her parts are mostly consigned to whispering over some psychedelic backing - it feels more almost more Britpop than Towa, but that may be the 90s house style drumming production. The ending feels cut short however, not a fan of the vinyl needle falling off a warped disc type effect he used. Strange little track but a good one.

:4.0:

NEXT: Keishi Tanaka - 素敵な影の結末 (Sutekina kage no ketsumatsu)

Sign in to follow this