Sign in to follow this  
iSin-Sama

Taking breaks from what you are listening to.

I took a good 6th month breakish, Maybe more, To change up my styles of music and such. Didnt even touch any Vkei or Jrock explored a bunch of the worlds greatest musicians, Found some really amazing stuff. and then Just came back a few days ago to check what is new, Some new bands feel fresh this way, Brand new sounds etc.

Have any of you done this?

I did this a lot.

Not only to more segmented kind of music like VK.

But also a more major ones like Pop and Dance as well.

I guess that is why it is so beautiful that we have so many options out there.

So I always try to be as open as a book to listen to many kind of genres.

And see how it suits with me.

I go through phases. I've never cut myself completely off from a certain genre or scene, but there are times when I listen to a certain style of music more or less than others. I'm like the weather - constantly changing.

I have periods where I briefly stop listening to new artists and essentially "go back" and spend a lot of time rediscovering older artists. I've found some of my most beloved musicians through it. 

I go through phases. I've never cut myself completely off from a certain genre or scene, but there are times when I listen to a certain style of music more or less than others. I'm like the weather - constantly changing.

UR just so poetic with the last line.

Quite similar to CAT here. I listen to so many different types of music that I just have my phases... I've just come out of a whole episode of too much pop music and have been listening to bands like ONE OK ROCK, coldrain and occasional Western bands for the past few weeks.

It all depends on what captures my mind at the moment so I don't actively think "Oh, let's stop listening to this for a while so I can get into something else, maybe." It just happens. And I just go with the flow.

i did this in 2005 - 2007, 2008 - 2009. after listening to some anime theme songs in 2001 to 2004, i paused to listen to contemporary music mostly on music channels. in the middle of 2008, i watched lots of 1980s - 1990s music on youtube and some are recommended by my friends. after some point in 2009 until today, i did not anymore shift to another type of music except when i heard something that catches my attention most likely from tv programs, game shows that i watch. an example of that is the minute to win it theme song.

This is also me, although to really get started with my musical exploration I cut myself off from visual kei for a week. Now it just feels more natural to hop between genres and scenes. 

I've actually cut back on listening to Japanese music too much. I've been mostly obsessed since November with MUSE and reliving adventures of Periphery's music, constantly waiting for news on their new album!

Im the kind of person who cant listen to the same things over and over and over again, they tend to get played out.

So about 3 years ago i decided to venture into kpop and i just didnt listen to any vkei at all and now when i do listen to it its like it's brand new all over again!

also, I looked into some non-vkei bands and found some really awesome stuff!

I used to listen to a lot of mainstream j-rock and VK artists such as Alice Nine, the GazettE, VAMPS (a lot), and L'Arc~en~Ciel. I guess I just got tired of listening to the same sound/style for how long now, which is why I switched to less popular, and albeit underrated, japanese rock bands. One of which is yazzmad, which I absolutely adore.

I did this when I was 16. Before I was super into the hardcore/punk scene, and then my favorite bands started breaking up and stuff. Also, I tried to end my general obsession with non-mainstream rock music. Somehow instead I got really into watching the anime Honey & Clover and only listened to the artists in the soundtrack all the time (Spitz, Suga Shikao). Actually that gradually led me to discover japanese punk bands and visual kei, and veekay gradually led me back to listening to hardcore/punk. Lol, the irony.

that's pretty much me as well

Guest mitsubana

When I went through financial difficulties, I sold a lot of my visual kei music. Then fell out of the fandom for a while because I couldn't afford any new music. So I guess that's when I took a "break" from listening. It's only been a couple years that I've gotten back into it.

I mostly fall back on melodic death metal or thrash metal every so often like I had for the past few days. I've been spitting through my Atheist collection and found myself to get extremely nostalgic up to a further point of almost no return.

It seems to me ever since high school I branch out and become obsessed with a certain type of music every 2 years or so...I was the typical black guy liking only rap and RnB...then around my junior year, I got heavy into rock music especially punk: AFI, Zebrahead, Bad Religion, Alkaline Trio, etc, etc....when I got to freshmen year of college, I got really obsessed with jpop thanks to Ayumi Hamasaki, Amuro Namie, Utada Hikaru, mflo....when I got to my junior year of college it was NOTHING but jrock-ed out, Gazette, Dir en Grey, Asian Kung Fu Generation, Art School, etc...after college, I got into a huge techno dance phase....then after that, I got back into american music and was obsessed with post-hardcore music...now here I am in the midst of my kpop craze. lol...I guess I've never really taken a "break" really, but I have gone through obsessive years with just certain genres...

Sign in to follow this