Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Listening Test: kHz - How high can you go?

What was the first tone you couldn't hear?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first tone you couldn't hear?

• > 14kHz
    • 15Khz
    • 16kHz
    • 17kHz
    • 18kHz
    • 18.5kHz
    • 19kHz
    • 20kHz
    • 21kHz
    • 22kHz

This isn't an audiophile test, but it involves listening anyway. A bunch of tones are played in this video. How high can you go?

Turn down the volume before you start!

Turns out the video was bogus, as proven below. Yasu's test works better and is verified to work. Check it here.

Vote in the poll above if you do!

highly depending on eqipment though. whatever the specs may say, "common" equipment rarely goes above 18/19khz. let's see how much i can get...

EDIT: ok, seems to be 19 for me, but i'm highly suspicious about that audiofile aswell, 44.100hz can not go higher than 20khz of audio-material anyways so i doubt there's any sound left up there... (and that is even before the lossy aac-compression)

EDIT2: yup, as suspected, 19 is the last one that is actually in the file, and that one is already 11dB below the 8khz one. so everyone who heard 20khz and above has to thank the placebo-effect :P

if you want to hear above that, you'd need to go for 48.000 file or higher. in addition to that due to lossy compression in that soundfile one often only hears aliasing-frequencies as opposed to the actual sinewave, so what comes out at 19hz is hardly actually that. i've made a 48.000 wav-file with 16khz, 18khz and 20khz right here which should be a little more representative...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7899279/MP3Test/sinetest.wav

I forgot that YouTube re-compresses audio no matter what format you upload it in. That means I have to re-try and see if I can hear past where the video gave out.

Ok so I tried this and I heard everything up until 20kHz, but for 20kHz I heard a very subtle rumbling / crackling sound, so I don't know if that means anything or not, and I didn't hear that sound at all for 21kHz or 22kHz.

Edit: Also that 'clicking sound' went throughout the whole video, but the crackling sound didn't.

So I don't know if I should vote for 20kHz or 21kHz?

On bonsai's file I got up to 18khz. I can tell when 20khz ends, but that's mostly because I cheated. So I suppose my vote still stays the same.

I heard all of Bonsai's sounds.

Also for the poll I'm just going to go ahead and vote 20kHz, since even though I heard a noise, it wasn't what it was supposed to be, obviously.

I forgot that YouTube re-compresses audio no matter what format you upload it in. That means I have to re-try and see if I can hear past where the video gave out.

rofl, come on, Zess! You should have known better!

So I always find these frequency response tests kind of iffy. They require a few different things:

1) The file needs to be uncompressed to make sure those frequencies aren’t cut off

2) You Headphones/Speakers need to have a range above 20kHz

3) What you hear isn’t necessarily the high frequency sound. Keep in mind that a speaker is a moving part and what you hear past 20kHz may well be the driver trying to create that sound. This also happens with low frequency sounds and some people mistake a speaker “chuffing” for actually hearing the sound.

All these things said, I hear the sound in Yasu’s test at about 20kHz

I think I heard something at 18kHz but I'm sure I heard something at 17kHz. I know my hearing isn't very good, I've probably been to too many concerts without using ear plugs, maybe 5 times or something. Nowadays I always use ear plugs but what's gone is gone :(

Sign in to follow this