Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

PROJECT MIXTAP3 DISCUSSION

Posts, discussion, comments and reviews pertaining to the mixtape thread go here. Basically you can post anything but a mixtape here. Mixtapes go into the mixtape thread here.

Feel free to start discussing! :domo:

Review: Zesshoku's Presents: interference demon

I was already familiar with several of the artists featured on this mixtape (Melt-Banana, for instance, is my most-played artist), but hearing them in close proximity to each other serves to magnify their manic intensity. There's a barely-restrained seething underlying even the less-intense tracks here. I absolutely loved the last two songs - the complete freakout of Aliene Maφriage - 蝕, followed by the tentative catharsis (though perhaps lingering anger) of 殻 - wormhole.

:)

Review: leafwork Presents: Ambient I

The first thing that I should say is that I wasn't in the mood to listen to ambient music when I fired up this mixtape. I was pretty agitated, hyper and energetic and it seemed like such a buzzkill. Normally, I don't even listen to ambient music! Ambient I does a good job of pulling you in and chilling you out. One small fault of mine is that I wasn't paying attention enough to be able to distinguish the tracks from one another but I don't remember hearing anything in particular that I did not like. If you come into the mixtape expecting it to go somewhere or to build up to something you will be very bored. It's like a journey and you go where it takes you until you're done. In that way I found it a pleasant and enjoyable listen.

Since I promised in the 2nd Mixtape Thread to listen to Aion's mix, I did!

So, here's my absolute favorite tracks from the "Aionline.eu best of 2011.2" mix:

I loved that Insect Kids track. Good indie rock sound, with moments of brassy instruments and a noisy layered sound. I thought I'd heard something by them before and the vocals were a bit messy, but they sounded fine here.

宇宙人 had a nice beat and just the right high-pitched female vocals, so that they weren't too saccharine J-poppy. Cool song name too, haha.

潮田雄一 was a great, relaxing acoustic track. I'm definitely interested in hearing more from this guy.

シャムキャッツ was yet another awesome low-key indie pop track. I need more of this too, haha. I already knew of

dry as dust (actually 1 of the only 2 bands I knew on here, haha) and I'm glad you included this fun track.

hemlock had more energy than most of the other stuff that I "favorited," but they had a great guitar sound, what can I say? Unfortunately, they chose an extremely common name and their last.fm page is a mess right now, haha.

Finally, the closer track by ミツメ had some lovely twangy indie pop guitar.

Overall, a good mix/survey of some of 2011's indie offerings. Quite a few bands that I certainly would like to hear more from.

Expect my mix posted probably tonight or tomorrow!

I'm not very good at reviewing music, so I'll just keep this short and simple. I had already heard a few of these bands before, but there were still a few pleasant surprises in there.

These were the bands I liked:

バックドロップシンデレラ

ストロベリーソングオーケストラ

女王蜂

愛狂います。

己龍

And as for OORUTAICHI... I'm pretty on the fence, but it was really interesting to say the least. Even for the bands I didn't particularly "like", they were all pretty solid but just not my cup of tea.

Review: Biopanda Mixtape 2~Angel's Breath~

I already knew some of the bands on here.

SUZZY&CAROLINE reminded me of a christmas song.... but I guess that's why it's called "Winter love song". A silly little song, but I kinda liked it. 16, Piano didn't do that much for me, but it was okay. I already knew and like 桜-SaKuRa-. Nice and oldschoolish. I think I heard some L'LUVIA before, though not this particular song. It was okay, but I didn't find it very special. MELODY and Neo Sonic Art basically suffered from the sort of vocalist I don't really like, though the MELODY song wasn't that bad. GREAT CONFUSION... was kinda weird. But it grew on me after a while. Dear Loving I already knew. They're great. Yay for non-nasal vocalists! Angelique is another bands I knew before, though I couldn't really remember what they sounded like. But... they sounded pretty cool and the vocalist was good too! I can't really say much about the VIRTUE song, it was kinda, uh, non-descript?

Favourites: Dear Loving, Angelique

No thanks plz: MELODY, Neo Sonic Arts

Overall: there was some stuff I liked, and I enjoyed the old-schoolish oshare vibe of it. As you may have already noticed it was mainly the typical high-pitched nasal vocalists that I had problems with. XD I do like some of these kind of vocalists, but not that many.

But the songs that didn't suffer from helium-vocalists were almost all very good, especially Angelique.

Thanks for your feedback, biopanda!

As long as you heard at least something you liked/experienced some new stuff, then I'm satisfied.

Ideally, I'd like to listen to all the mixes posted, but yours will be at the top of my "queue" so to speak!

I'd like to thank bonsaijodelfish for reviewing my mixtape. Luckily I managed to read the review before the Timetravel-Database-crash swallowed it. XD

I'm glad you enjoyed some of it.

So, let the record show that bonsaijodelfish did post a review, so if he wants to add a mix to the mixtape thread, he's free to do so. ;)

I'd like to thank bonsaijodelfish for reviewing my mixtape...

haha, glad you got to read it^^ i'll look how much i can remember what i wrote about my mixtape to repost it once more, the forum better not timetravel this time :) *crackingfingers*

Leafwork - Ambient 1

I also don't listen to much ambient music but I have been listening to a lot of music that uses ambient passages and electronic music in general. I'm actually in the middle of creating my first EP and it borrows from techno, to ambient, trip-hop and orchestral stuff. So the album as a whole was interesting and inspiring to listen to. Creating long songs with textures, or minimal sounds is challenging in itself. I think this type of music isn't for everyone but it'll get you in a relaxed mood. The second half of the album was my favorite. I've got new electronic artists to look up now.

Review: Good Songs to Feel Bad by bonsaijodelfish

Kill my bleeding smile: It was tagged as sludge and shoegaze, but I actually found it kinda doom-ish, which I liked. Maybe could have been a bit more interesting over the lenghth of the song.

Mare: This one had some nice parts and some rather boring parts. Overall okay, but nothing I would listen to a lot.

Chelsea Wolfe: This on the other hand was pretty cool. Very relaxed and atmopheric.

Mucc: I remember this song and Zekuu was wuite a coll album in general. I haven't followed them in recent years, but back then, they were pretty great. In retrospect, the vocals kinda remind me of Atushi Sakurai here, lol.

Pelican: I was listening to this song and kinda didn't realize that it ended. XD

Shining: Liked this one, it was crazy and chaotic, but not in an unpleasent way.

Electric Wizard: This was okay, but I would have liked it better with different vocals I guess.

Sun 0))) & Boris: Sun 0)) and Boris are cool, not much else to say here. XD

Converge: Didn't like it at the beginning, but it grew on me a lot. The screaming was a bit "meh" though, it didn't seem to fit that well.

Overall: I'm mot really a sludge/stoner/shoegaze fan, but considerign that this was quite enjoyable, especially when the music got more doom-ish.

But as the title of the mix suggests, I guess you need to be in a special mood for this. XD

Yay: Chelsea Wolfe, Mucc, Kill my bleeding smile, Sun 0)) & Boris

Nay: Pelican, Electric Wizard

I'm also planniong on reviewing Pandabears mixtape and if I find the time, leafwork's.

Zess: Interferencedemon

First things first, this mix had an awesome flow. I thought each song nicely transitioned from one to the other. There were lot’s of noisy guitars and walls of sound. I was already familiar with the awesomeness that is melt banana, 101a and School food punishment. But the bands I really liked and want to hear more of are Sgt, obscure and the last artist on the album which I can’t copy and paste. The one that did wormhole. Hands down those bands had my favorite songs of the mix. Enjoyed the whole mixtape

Champ:The Not-so-usual-metal-Mix

The title of the mix definitely lives up to the songs. They’re not your usual metal songs. ( I think I did the complete opposite of this mix with my own metal compilation.) I like the variety of the songs and how a good song flow was still maintained. There’s some epic sounding songs too. Heard everything from pianos, saxophones, organs, wind instruments and funky guitars. There wasn’t any song I didn’t like, but my favorites ones have to be, Elephant, Shining Human Skin, The Curse of Gypsy and The Opposition. Want more of the bands who did those songs.

Will review the remaining mixtapes later.

This review will probably precede my own mixtape by a long shot, seeing as I suck at making mixtapes. Or at least I'm not always very content with the way my mixtapes turn out. I decided to give Zess' mixtape a try, since Zess has the ability to surprise me with good music from all types of genres.

I liked how noisy this mixtape was, but still managed to give a sort of darker, calming feeling. It was all over the place but at the same time it wasn't, very hard to explain. This is music I could get into the with right recommendations and starting artists, so I can say I'll definitely give school food punishment a try after this, since their song really impressed me. I expected the Mutyumu song to be from Ilya, since you like that album so much. Overall, a really cool mixtape, will be keeping this entire mixtape in my iTunes library (except the Aliene Mariage one, I didn't like that one too much since in my opinion it didn't match the rest of the mixtape that well)

Review: Weird, Wild, and with a Side of Wacky… Wtf Japan? (fitear1590)

Chose to start with this one as the title says "you have to like this"

I'm writing this review exactly while listening to it, so it will be something like a "first-impression-review" or something like that.

I'll also take a look at the description for reviewing as it kind of hyped me about this mixtape :D

1. バックドロップシンデレラ (Backdrop Cinderella) - ツェッペリンを聴きながら

Pretty fast and straight song, kind of weird and catchy "chorus" if you can even call that a chorus :D

Awesome part with that hall of the mountain king riff

2. ぐしゃ人間 (gusya ningen) - ゆーeye歌

First thing that came to my mind: "We need more distortion!"

Creepy female vocals with some unexpected guttural sounds, fast-paced drums, shred-riffs and an incentive and persistent bass. Neat track, that met my expectations of this mixtape.

3. ストロベリーソングオーケストラ (Strawberry Song Orchestra) - 狂れた埋葬虫、電波、赤マント!

The only song on this that I already know. Still one of my favorites of SSO. The vocals and the jazzy elements are turning the song into a firework of sensation.

4. OORUTAICHI - YORI YOYO

This song gives me a "We ♥ Katamari OST" feeling. Really something else, than the tracks before, but definitely weird.

5. 女王蜂 (Ziyoou-vachi) - レザー

Speechless... :D This is so Japan. Unbelievably colorful song, that reminds me on animes like K-ON! and Lucky Star UNTIL the male vocals are starting. I feel a bit mindfucked now - it's only a male singer, isn't it?

6. 愛狂います。 (Aicle) - くるくる。と胎児は廻る

Strange fade-in, confusing riffing, old-schoolish vocals. One of the more normal songs on this. (feels strange to write that after describing the song).

On the whole a nice song, but in my opinion "too normal" for this.

7. THE ACT WE ACT - First inspiration

Pretty much in-your-face-ish song. The vocals are strange and energetic, and the saxophone-thing is making me laugh as it's an intense contrast. And wow, what kind of solo was that!?

Definitely worth being on this.

8. 神聖かまってちゃん (shinsei kamattechan) - 死にたい季節

Ouch my ears! the vocals sound like moon kana - by the way - where is she? would match the concept, too, wouldn't she?

Normal rock song if the vocals weren't so creepy.

9. Bogulta - 福一ータ来来来

HURGH IEAH....HEGH HURGH...

Too bad the song doesn't stay that way, but the synthesizer sounds combined with the br00tal shouts surely are weird

10. 己龍 (kiryu) - 朱花艶閃

Interesting intro followed by typical kiryu-weirdness. Sick lead riff, exploding vocals and abrupt changes of mood and speed. Definitely weird.

11. Kulu Kulu Garden - 上げ膳据え膳

Again female vocals, that remind me on Kana, but much easier to listen to...for some mysterious reason. disharmonious riffs and the vocalist going insane at the end of the chorus are making the song really sick.

Overall:

Loved this mixtape. the songs are totally meeting my expectations. Really weird and sick stuff and still every song is different.

Recommended for everyone who likes veeeery different music.

Zess: interferencedemon (this is not really a review, more a grateful nod :P)

i wanted to do a review for this earlier but never got to it.

just now i sort of listened to the whole thing "by accident", the tracks were lurking around in my winamp playlist and the player just feasted down the other tracks there to finally munch up this mixtape :D

since i already knew most of the tracks on it i didn't really notice it went on, just that at some time i realized to be quite well entertained and had to look "what the heck is this?"

the list has a nice flow to it, and in terms of sound and overall tonality and emotion it all fits together really well.

pretty chill and dreamy actually even due to some of the quirkyness/noisyness and hectic to some/(most) of the tracks.

i may have to check some of those bands out later on...

thanks

nay:

some of the tracks sounded just to noisy, not in a good way, more in a crappy cameraphonesound-way:

夢中夢 and Aliene Marriage

yay:

everything else

Biopanda: Angels Breathe

Normally I don’t listen to visual kie bands except for a handful of them. In that aspect it was interesting taking a listen to all of the artists of the mixtape since I absolutely knew none of them. There’s a lot of old school sounding tracks, (at least they sound old-school to me) and the songs do seem to naturally lead into one another. My favorites were Winter Love sing by Suzzy&Caroline and Morning Glory by Angelique. I enjoyed other songs like the one by 桜-SaKuRa--, but was at odds with myself with other tracks since I enjoyed the music but couldn’t stand the vocals. So yeah, I’m far from being a VK fan, but I did find a couple of good songs I like.

Fitear: Weird, Wild & with a Side of Wacky… Wtf Japan

I love the crazy acid trip cover. The whole mixtape thing was pretty awesome. Definitely lots of weird, wild and wacky things were happening in all of the songs. Crazy drum beats, grooves and Japanese people yelling at me through my computer speakers. I loved all the songs and I’m gonna keep them all, but the first three tracks were my favorite along with the last one. This was a really fun listen.

Guest Magatsu

whoops I did read it wrong..

oh well here my review of:

fitear1590's 3rd Mix: Weird, Wild, and with a Side of Wacky… Wtf Japan?

If I looked in the thread only those bands could might interest me...

But was it a success?

01 a really wtf vocal. it's really not my style of music....

02 female voice? and not even an beautiful voice. However the music is played quite well.

But because of the voice, I can't really listen to it. (>_<)

03 mmmm.... is all music like this? the vocals are really a mess.. but it's played once again good.

Just the vocals.. not my thing

04 should this be in Enka style? no then just please give me real Enka. and not this piece of crap shizzel who sound this bad.

05 nya nya nya nya... is this an Anime song or what?... it's really not something what I would put on.

06 again horrible voice.. and very bad played.

07 Just could be a pretty cool song.. but no... it failed somehow.

08 mm what about this one? again kinda anime bad song style.. don't know what to think.

09 did start nice.. but ended.. not.. nice for my ears

10 I know this voice and band. mm. their style is not that bad. But I know better VK shizzel.

11 Just some good music and a horrible screaming female voice T_T

over all.

It's a real good WTF mix tape. with.. just WTF style of music into it.

who I will happy delete from my PC!

I think that a WTF mix tape could be very beautiful and little bit nicer for my ears too.. but this one.

No not for Ryu

This one was even hard to review because this mixtape is just so bad for my ears.. and mind..... (>_<)

I'll update this post with 2 more review!

-----------------------------------------------

Metalz from Pandabear

Metal? I'm always open for Metal so let's see.

Yes this one is quite nice, only to bad that there are not a few softer metal songs. but only hard very powerful metal! But I really do like this kind of style too. and it's nice for my ears.

Thanks I keep it.

Biopanda mixtape 2

Wow this one start very nice the first songs have nice vocal. But the tune itself could be stronger.

But then playing some more songs... it turns into bad vocal and bad tune... (>_<)

Lucky it end with better tune and better vocal...

But somehow those vocalist and also the tunes don't touch my heart.

But it's quite a soft album. if someone would put this on.. I could listen to it.. quite for a long time... but minus a few songs :P

Metalz from Pandabear

Metal? I'm always open for Metal so let's see.

Yes this one is quite nice, only to bad that there are not a few softer metal songs. but only hard very powerful metal! But I really do like this kind of style too. and it's nice for my ears.

Thanks I keep it.

Thanks for the review. Glad you liked it. And yeah, when I was making the mixtape, I went for the more heavy stuff. And this reminds me, I have yet to post reviews for the other mixtapes. I wrote them, but never posted them. And maybe I'll make a new mixtape now. Metalz 2.0 or something else entirely.