Maiku

eReaders/eBooks

How do you guys feel about eReaders? I'm not really talking about tablets because ... they are tablets. I'm talking about eReaders with eInk displays and such. Dedicated Reading Devices. Blah blah blah. Anyway, I've been thinking of making this giant technological leap and was wondering if anyone on the board uses them or is interested in getting one.

The current eReader I want the most is the Barnes and Nobles Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I was pretty much sold when I saw this pic on the website.

comparison_popup_v6.jpg

Plus it has expandable memory up to 32gb via SD Card slot. Kindle does not~. Plus the new kindle touches have terrible defects or so I've read/seen.

Anyway, book stores have died pretty much. The closest one to me is nearly an hour and a half a way so it's much easier to just get books from Amazon and pay for shipping and end up not spending nearly as much on gas. It'd be pretty easy to get more books on an ebook but... I could really just buy more books from Amazon and not get an eReader. But then I'd kill so many trees. ;__; AHHHH I CAN'T DECIDE. ;__;

Doesn't really need it. Still have my netbook for PDFs.

Otherwise i'll read the real book. There's still a few book stores around.

Attack of the show told me to buy the nook with the fancy light if I didn't already own an ereader. So get the nook. :P

Z93TnvJ8Lxw

I don't really like eReaders, they give me a headache. I just prefer reading the stuff on actual paper.

Nope. :'D They are made with eInk and are pretty much like giant digital watch screens that you can read books on.

Also, since it's eInk it uses a lot less power because once it's displaying the image it doesn't use any power until you turn the page. They are really cool. ;O; For real electronic books. 8D Plus they are cool for reading manga. :o

Manga-on-Kindle1-660x495.jpg

8D Plus they are cool for reading manga. :o

But the fun of reading manga is flipping over the pages with manga chop sticks! :3

Especially if one is collector. Wouldn't wish to ruin the page with finger prints.

8D Plus they are cool for reading manga. :o

But the fun of reading manga is flipping over the pages with manga chop sticks! :3

Especially if one is collector. Wouldn't wish to ruin the page with finger prints.

I mostly read manga on the computer. :P

All I can say is I love my Kindle DX. I am sad that Amazon has stopped making a large format size...apparently the demaned just isn't there. That said, I am very happy I got one while they were still making thing. I could deal with a smaller one for just reading (and honestly, it would probably work a lot better for just bringing it around places), but it just wouldn't work if I ever wanted to read manga on it (which is a huge part of the reason I got the Kindle DX).

Guest MaddAdam

I really want the new Kindle Paperwhite really bad. ;__; My mommy said she was gonna get me one this week but she bought my brothers new phones instead. :| So now I have to wait another two weeks.

It would be really cool if they made a Kindle Paperwhite like the DX~.

The larger formats just didn't sell. If you look, you won't find any large format ereader anymore, they are all these super small ones. I am hoping that as the years go on, they keep on reducing the size of the bezel. This would me we might eventually see a ereader just a bit bigger than the paper white but with the same screen size as the DX.

On a side note, my mom has the paper white, she hasn't used it much, but if all you are doing is reading, it is pretty darn slick.

I got my mom's old ereader...

it's an Archos \o/ 7 inch.

archos-70-e-reader-large.jpg

But so far I only use it to read PNR that I haven't bought (yet) and english translations of light novels...

I do so much more on my tablet than just read, so I would never consider an eINK device. I actually think they're quite ugly. The technology is cool, but not practical in my needs.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I use to use the Kindle app, but have since switched over to Google's Play Books - partly due to the technology behind the book formats.

We live in the 21st century. While I do see the joy in picking up a book and plopping down on the couch and flipping through the pages (I have an entire bookcase and boxes packed away full of books I've read), I don't think we should be limiting their eBook counterparts to the same level. There is so much more information, data, and visuals that can be captured and presented to the end user in a book now. Wanna learn about a character in the book? Tap their name and their profile pops up spilling the details and facts. eBooks can have their own "encyclopedia" linked to them to provide an extra layer of immersion that you can't get in a paper bound book or eINK reader.

EDIT 

One reason I forgot to mention why I switched from Amazon's kindle format to Google Play - Google Play's books can be access from any device, unlimited times. Doesn't matter if you have an iPhone, Droid, iPad, Android powered tablet, an old eReader (you have the ability to download your book purchases as ePub or PDF which you can then transfer to your eReader), or sitting at your computer. You can access and read your books from where you last left off. Everything is in sync.

And quite honestly, Barnes and Noble is a joke right now. I absolutely love their stores, but their eBook/tablet shit is ridiculous.

Vj9Ktog.png

I do so much more on my tablet than just read, so I would never consider an eINK device. I actually think they're quite ugly. The technology is cool, but not practical in my needs.

The display is 100% the reason I got an ereader and not a tablet. Would I enjoy all the other stuff that having a tablet would offer? Oh hell yeah! But I hate reading on a screen. Ereaders just do such a great job of emulating the look of real ink on paper...If you are just reading a book, they do the job 100x better than a tablet (imo). Same goes for reading manga (though formatting it is kind of a pain), though it is pretty much negated for all of the smaller screen ereaders.

I have a Nook Simple Touch (the first edition Nook) and it's absolutely perfect. I would definitely recommend it more than anything else because it looks just like paper. I have a Galaxy tablet and reading books on it is absolutely terrible. Tablets are not for reading lol, especially if you're going to read all day like I sometimes do. With the glare and all that crap, I'm sure it's bad for your eyes.

Nook vs Kindle:  The memory on the Nook is expandable, meaning you can actually add an SD card unlike the Kindle which comes with a very limited amount of space. I heard you have to pay to view their library ._. Nook library is 100% free!

However, with the Nook Simple Touch, you can only read in daylight unless you buy the Lira Light or use a flashlight lol. If you would like to read at night you can buy the Nook with the glowlight. I heard it's just as effective and the price is very reasonable.

BARNES & NOBLE RULES!