Sign in to follow this  
Spike760

Verizon + Google = EVIL!?!!

OK this is ridiculous! I love the combination of Verizon and Google, ask anyone! But this is ridiculous and almost makes me want to abandon my Android phone.

Verizon wants to charge tier the internet and make you pay extra to access certain sites, from what I understand.

Source: NY Times

The internet could end up looking like this:

40580_469196114072_748744072_6368251_5766909_n.jpg

This would normally enrage me to no end and summon a tirade from the depths of hell but then I remembered how useless accessing the Internet from a phone is. I've never had a situation where I've needed to get online to do something, and if I need to do something computer related I'd need MY computer. Phone internet just doesn't cut it for me :\

It's upsetting that they'll try to suck people dry any way they can.

if i use mobile for internet, i always trust Opera mini.

it's by far the best browser, even skyfire cannot compete with.

but with this package, i guess Verizon will block the GPRS/3G connection if not using

default browser of the phone.

Oh crap, I just read "abandon phone" and I thought this applied to the phone Internet. If this applies to regular Internet....

I just had to suppress my anger there. If that happens then I'm blacklisting Verizon. If all companies want to charge tier like this I'm going to go to coffeeshops for my Internet needs.

Yeah I used to have Verizon FiOS but I'm glad I have Time Warner now, even though it's slower and less reliable, because that's bullshit that they are gonna charge extra. D:

especially, i don't see why one must get charged for visiting Yahoo, Google, last.fm, Twitter and such?

this is monopoly.

if it's internet TV, ok, i can understand.

but search engine and social networking websites?

From what I've read on slashdot and various other sites, someone claimed that Google and Verizon were discussing about the possibilities of making Google-sites faster than other sites with slower Internet, so afaik it's not exactly as you said. And no one has even presented actual proofs about this.

eh, i actually looking forward to have my first android sometimes next year if anything goes well.

But if all android will only by Verizon with this kind of package for internet. I'd rather use the wifi on it than 3.5G connection whenever i have to access internet from mobile lol

From what I've read on slashdot and various other sites, someone claimed that Google and Verizon were discussing about the possibilities of making Google-sites faster than other sites with slower Internet.
Yeah, that's what I heard as well. Meaning, if you're a Verizon user you can pay extra to get faster access to Google-services like Youtube. While this surely isn't a nice thought, it's nowhere near to what you mentioned. For example, Verizon couldn't really charge people for accessing a site like eBay or CNN, unless those sites agreed to it. Because if they did they would basically make money off of eBays or CNN's content, while eBay or CNN didn't. Actually eBay and such would probably loose money, because many people wouldn't bother to pay and thus stop using their services.

There's no way that this would have any legal standing. That would be like Batsu charging people for visiting TW. (Well, not quite, but you get the idea. :P )

You guys aren't understanding they're not talking about mobile internet. This is the internet your computer uses. It'll only affect FiOS, but still, the thought is ridiculous.

And also there's an Android phone for just about any carrier. Here's my recommendations for the main carriers:

Verizon: DROID 2, DROID Incredible, Fascinate

Sprint: EVO 4G, Epic 4G

AT&T: Captivate, Aria

T-Mobile: Vibrant, MyTouch Slide

So they make you pay extra for faster access (that's the rumor anyway). Big deal.

The graphic you posted is a hyperbole. It's not what they're actually planning.

I know the picture isn't what they're planning but theoretically that's what it could end up looking like.

I told some of my co-workers about this at my work today, and one of my co-workers had already heard about this, and he told me that Google already said this was false. And they have spent a lot of money in net neutrality so for them to do this, would be quite contradictory. That was a big relief when I heard him tell me that.

Sign in to follow this