Sign in to follow this  
cullucoo

GUNIW TOOLS

Guniw+Tools.jpg

[1992~2000, 2011(???)~(???)]

Originally starting in 1989 as Full’s creative outlet called GUNIW, GUNIW TOOLS became what it’s known as today after Jake joined in 1992. GUNIW TOOLS’ music ranges all over the map, from rock, to industrial, to shoegaze, to jazz-influenced, to inspired by the folk music of countries like Nepal and India. GUNIW TOOLS never really had a typical visual kei image, instead opting for a more dadaist, dreamlike visual presence. Before they became major, Asaki joined the group as a support guitarist, but joined officially after becoming a hit with the fans. In 1996 they were signed to Victor Entertainment, a major record company, and quickly released their first album, NIWLUN.

Jake was responsible for the musical style on their first three albums, writing almost all of the songs, with some duties falling to Full and Asaki. Asaki added an industrial influence to many songs as well as providing backup vocals and took a much more prominant role following the departure of Jake.

Vocals and leader: FULL (GUNIW TOOLS → Nookicky → SHILFEE AND TULIPCOROBOCKLES, TAFUCA, OCQ)

Guitar and programming: ASAKI (GUNIW TOOLS → BUG, AGE of PUNK)

Former members

Guitar and bass: JAKE (GUNIW TOOLS → super soul sonics → cloudchair)

Discography:

1996.04.24 NIWLUN

1996.10.23 - FANCY PINK

1997.01.22 - ヨモギの心 (Yomogi no kokoro)

1997.01.22 - OTHER GOOSE

1997.08.21 - SPARKY

1997.12.17 - DADA

1998.03.21 - LIVE SPARKY

1998.08.21 - HUSH and COOL

1998.08.21 - DAZZLE

1999.04.21 - 真鍮卵 (Shinchuran)

1999.07.23 - GREEN CARNIVAL

1999.10.21 - FICKLE BOON

2000.05.24 - CULLUCOO VISION

2000.11.22 - GUNIW 2000Ls BEST

Videography:

1996.02.21 GUNIW TOOLS 1992-1994

1996.05.22 VV NIWLUN

1996.10.23 VV FANCY PINK

1997.04.23 VV OTHER GOOSE

1997.09.22 VV SPARKY

1998.02.21 VV DADA

1998.03.02 VV LIVE SPARKY

1998.09.23 VV HUSH and COOL

1999.09.22 VV DAZZLE

2000.12.16 VV SINGLES

2003.07.23 GUNIW VALUE SET

Let's talk about these guys.

They're probably one of the most underappreciated bands among visual kei and Japanese music fans but hey, they just don't fit any music stereotypes and explore really weird venues. Their music genres are all over the place, which takes a lot of musical open-mindedness to take in, and I guess they look too weird for most people but yet not visual kei enough for vk fans.

Their sound and their creativity make each album different from the others. Listening to NIWLUN you wouldn't think they're same band that made DAZZLE.

I love both Jake and Asaki's different styles, and I think both carry Full's voice beautifully.

Some songs: モラリストの事 - Plenty of flour - SOUP - baby's one do - VANITY

Favourite band EVER. <3

Yay for Guniw! :D

Yeah, they were pretty unique. Just when I thought "omg, this sound so different!" when getting into visual kei, along comes one of their videos, sounding even more different from those other VK bands, lol. xD I think my first exposure to them was the Looser Sugar PV or the Baby's One Do live footage (

), can't remember exactly. All that I recall is that I initially thought Full was so creepy and so cool at the same time, weird/fitting voice too.

Shame that their stuff isn't so easily obtainable nowadays (even their albums), like on CDJapan or other online stores. They had them in stock a few years ago, and I was so foolish to just buy the Sparky album (remastered/reissue with bonus tracks). It's still my only GT stuff. I treasure it though, great album. :)

My favorite release has to be the Other Goose album though, such great and memorable tracks! Especially Distortion and Billy What Wild Cool Night (classic XDDD). My fave song is not from there though - it's Dearly Dark Nap. The other albums are almost equally good too, particularly going with all the PVs and stuff. They had such a cool and controlled artistic vision, totally doing their own thing.

For sure these guys have a unique look, it may take me a while to fully appreciate this band, but I do like their artistic/contemporary feel they have with their dancers and look. It reminds me of watching a really old play with cheesy/strange props, but that's probably what I find so interesting about them.

I still remember the day when I got NIWLUN and listened to it. It was like approaching another world - loved the unique songs and still do!

I also like their other releases, but NIWLUN is my favorite.

Cool topic, i've been meaning to listen to this band.

I recently found out about Tafuca and SHILFEE AND TULIPCOROBOCKLES (which are both great). Guniw Tools was next on my list, haha.

I'm checking out Niwlun first since it was mentioned a few times!

Niwlun basically sounds like you're listening to a weird fairytale, at least to me. It's prob my fav of their entire catalogue

So Full and Jake had a small revival live called 『SOLOSOLOGUNIW2』 today and here's the setlist:

1.頭上の石

2.未練は思い上がり

3.From the inside

4.Either Wise Or Fool

5.Fade Story

6.冬のうぐいす

Encore:不断の窓

So awesome :3 it was also released a DVD with a lot of unreleased videos from 1992-1994 era. i'm really looking forward to it!

So Full and Jake had a small revival live called 『SOLOSOLOGUNIW2』 today and here's the setlist:

1.頭上の石

2.未練は思い上がり

3.From the inside

4.Either Wise Or Fool

5.Fade Story

6.冬のうぐいす

Encore:不断の窓

So awesome :3 it was also released a DVD with a lot of unreleased videos from 1992-1994 era. i'm really looking forward to it!

just wanted to say sth like "wow, they played [...]" and then I realized that I would have to count every song they've played :D

too bad I won't be able to get that DVD ._.

still totally need it ._.

Asaki and Full also had an event with their respective bands last month called 『Solo Solo GUNIW Tell Miracle』 and together they played...

En:

-Guniw Tools-

01.Looser Sugar

02.SOUP

03.Chain Drug

04.TIN MAN'S HALF CIRCUIT

05.ヨモギの心

06.Fancy Pink

Here's a vid of them talking about it in case someone missed it:

5UPmaW3WVY0

They should just get back together. All three of them!

Guniw Tools' shoutbox on last.fm is even worse than Dir en grey's one these days. : <

Not really, just a few plagiary whiners disturbing the peaceful community...

On a relevant note tho, did Full say anything about "open covering" of "Looser Sugar" (which is, according to most fans, a cover of "Sugarcube"-song) ? And about other songs overall (when it comes to fans complaining about "ripoffs") ?

Guniw Tools' shoutbox on last.fm is even worse than Dir en grey's one these days. : <

Not really, just a few plagiary whiners disturbing the peaceful community...

On a relevant note tho, did Full say anything about "open covering" of "Looser Sugar" (which is, according to most fans, a cover of "Sugarcube"-song) ? And about other songs overall (when it comes to fans complaining about "ripoffs") ?

The only thing he said was something like "after Jake left, Asaki made all the songs" on a facebook post some months ago (I think he deleted it now).

The one of the last.fm guy asked Jake on facebook about steel leaf (lol, Jake wasn't in the band when it was released) and he said "I don't know anything after I left the band".

Also, on LOOSER SUGAR's pv on youtube I saw some comments saying "This is actually a straight cover. Just different lyrics. Forget the original song." and "as far as i can remember, no, they cited yo la tengo as composers of this song, at least in my guniw collection cd...". I don't own guniw's best of (I guess that guy was talking about it) so I can't check myself.

That's all I know, and I don't really want to bother Full with more questions.

Sign in to follow this