jurideluhi

What made you addicted to Japanese Music?

Japanese music are more unique than other countries like Korea and Taiwan imo.

I listen mostly to visual kei songs so yeah

Now you guys to share your opinions about the topic ;)

yeah! we love japanese music esp. j-rock and visual kei

the sound attract me, the name is unique. i love it when they go international.

it has lot of variations, it is not boring, i want to see more, explore more, search more, do more, to attract more fans and share beautiful and fabulous music to them.

idk, i guess the variety. even in pop there's a lot of variety. and artists/bands don't typically stick to only one style. oh that and they release so quickly. i tend to forget about bands/artists that don't release an album a year, lol

Actually I don't know. It's something different and it doesn't sound like current... "fashion" in the musicworld. (= Usually it's not like rap or something) And I've always liked style of unique. And I haven't never liked going with the flow. (Yes, I didin't "go with the flow" when I discovered J-music - I found it myself, with nobody telling things about it)

I grew up with it.. But I think that the fact that it isn't that known also had something to do with it.

The melodies - japanese people are gods when it comes to coming up with epic melodies and melodic choruses. Thats one of the reasons that makes me addicted to japanese music. Then there is alot of great unique stuff to be found in japanese music that cant be produced anywhere else in the world.

For example, a white person could never come up with something epic such as nogod's "Ring-a Ring-o/ZESSHOKU", Sound Horizon's "Jinsei ha ireko ningyo", Versailles "God Palace" or Mucc's "Libra". Its simply out of question.

So yeah, there is alot of variety and some really awesome, more or less unique stuff, while in the american music scene nothing really stands out at all.

Then i think they look pretty awesome ^^

Well thats just my two cents and excuse my shitty english, im a swede :D

Will come back with more reasons later!

CHEERS!

Japan is a smaller place, so the music scene is easier to explore, in my opinion.

The good and bad stick out better, unlike in the European or American scenes where there are so many artists and countries and genres to wade through to locate the good and isolate the bad.

Japan is a smaller place, so the music scene is easier to explore, in my opinion.

The good and bad stick out better, unlike in the European or American scenes where there are so many artists and countries and genres to wade through to locate the good and isolate the bad.

Wait. You do know the Japanese musicscene is the second largest music industry in the world after the USA?

Wait. You do know the Japanese musicscene is the second largest music industry in the world after the USA?
Yes, I know that. But from my perspective, it being one country - it is a lot easier to find stuff when compared with finding stuff within multiple continents and countries. I hope that makes sense. :unsure:

For example, a white person could never come up with something epic such as nogod's "Ring-a Ring-o/ZESSHOKU", Sound Horizon's "Jinsei ha ireko ningyo", Versailles "God Palace" or Mucc's "Libra". Its simply out of question.

Well, except that the beginning of God Palace is lifted almost 1:1 from Nightwish' "Wishmaster".

And seriously. There are an abundance of symphonic metal bands all over the world that can produce similar songs. Don't get me wrong, I like Versailles and I like this song, but if there is one thing they're not it's unique.

I hate this thread already.

It's going to be full of herp Japan is so unique, white people can't make music this good derp derp

What a stupid, close-minded mentality to have.

Well, except that the beginning of God Palace is lifted almost 1:1 from Nightwish' "Wishmaster".

And seriously. There are an abundance of symphonic metal bands all over the world that can produce similar songs. Don't get me wrong, I like Versailles and I like this song, but if there is one thing they're not it's unique.

I give you that but i still cant come up with any other single western band that keeps releasing songs such as Princess, Ascended master, Aristocrats symphony, After cloudia etc. But yes, Versailles wasnt maybe the best example to put there then. No offense!

It's going to be full of herp Japan is so unique, white people can't make music this good derp derp

Guess you are referring to my post and well, I didn't write like that but sure take it however you want :D

What i meant isn't that white people cant make music, im listening to alot music from america (avenged sevenfolds newest album kicks ass!). But if there is something that still stands out in in the music industry nowadays, much of it is definitely to be found in japan!

Off to Ikebukuro!

Keep posting guys!

Not specifically, no. I was referring to the original post, yours, and any that might follow. If you can't find anything unique or "epic" outside of Japan, you aren't looking hard enough.

I guarantee most of your favourites rip off American or European bands. DELUHI, for example, borrow riffs from thrash and heavy metal acts overseas. Versailles, dozens of European symphonic metal acts. Even I'm not so oblivious to my favourite band lifting from Marilyn Manson, KoRn and Edguy. That's not "unique."

In addition, the most unique bands I have discovered thus far happen to be from Canada, Sweden, the UK and America, respectively.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a good, unique band within Japan. I'm saying the examples given are bad and this post is going to breed more "no one makes music like the Japanese, ehehe" and that mentality is close-minded.

Since OP asked for opinions, there's mine. :spin:

Not specifically, no. I was referring to the original post, yours, and any that might follow. If you can't find anything unique or "epic" outside of Japan, you aren't looking hard enough.

I guarantee most of your favourites rip off American or European bands. DELUHI, for example, borrow riffs from thrash and heavy metal acts overseas. Versailles, dozens of European symphonic metal acts. Even I'm not so oblivious to my favourite band lifting from Marilyn Manson, KoRn and Edguy. That's not "unique."

In addition, the most unique bands I have discovered thus far happen to be from Canada, Sweden, the UK and America, respectively.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a good, unique band within Japan. I'm saying the examples given are bad and this post is going to breed more "no one makes music like the Japanese, ehehe" and that mentality is close-minded.

Since OP asked for opinions, there's mine. :spin:

Got a few more mins to write one more reply B)

Even if you have no proof backing up that Japanese rock bands borrow heavily from western bands (in b4 2-3 examples), let me put it like this. There is alot of music from japan that stands out while there isnt too much from the west that stands out, that said the music cant be good, but there simply come things from japan that cant be produced anywhere else - while what comes from america is being produced everywhere else. Also in japan.

I cant really imagine an american band releasing a song like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8RtxcYRfQ

or this:

Korn, In flames and so on. It's cool but brings nothing new to the music scene.

Do you understand what i mean?

Unique was maybe the wrong world, "stands out" fits better.

I should note that, per se, there's nothing wrong with not being unique. Likewise, being unique is not always a guarantee for good music. It's more important that you do whatever you do well enough.

If I had to come up with unique japanese bands (in the sense that you won't find it outside Japan) I'd point to bands that actually incorporate traditional japanese elements, (granted, there are a few non-japanese bands that do this too). So in that terms, any enka singer is certainly more unique than Versailles (unique to Japan that is, not necessarily unique within Japan). Heck, even their pop scene is somewhat more unique, at least I don't know many 29374-member girl bands ranging from age 8 to 18 with ridicolously high-pitched voices outside of Japan. :P

But your average japanese rock/metal/goth band isn't really that different from their western counterparts, except for the language. And some of them will do it better than some western bands and others not. And of course there are exceptions to every rule and your surely can find unique bands within these genres as well.

But I think that also answers the original question: I'm not addicted to japanese music, there are japanese bands I like, love even, just like there are bands from any other country I love.

I cant really imagine an american band releasing a song like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8RtxcYRfQ

That right there? Generic metal, buddy. The only thing that makes it "stand out" is the fact that the vocalist is singing in Japanese.

Regardless, I agree with the above, for the most part. Particularly

But your average japanese rock/metal/goth band isn't really that different from their western counterparts, except for the language. And some of them will do it better than some western bands and others not. And of course there are exceptions to every rule and your surely can find unique bands within these genres as well.

Yeah, totally agreed with Champ.

So what if a band isn't nescessarily a special snowflake if YOU love them and you think they do a fine job, that's all that matters anyway.

And personally, I think there are rock and metal bands in Japan who do certain things a whole lot better to my liking than certain bands that "did it first" in America or Europe.

i liked Nujabes, i heard his works alot.

But i am not going to call myself addicted to Japanese Music just yet. I still listening to many other language music and genres, besides Japanese music.

For me music is just like the base,

if music is a play doh, the musicians are the people who playing with play doh. Making it into many kind of shapes and colours. But it still a play doh.

So any language and any race, music is music.

Unique, maybe. I guess every music produced from around the world have their own unique points.

It just how people appreciate the music itself.

One people may impressed with one song, but the others may not.

It's subjective, really.

So what if a band isn't nescessarily a special snowflake if YOU love them and you think they do a fine job, that's all that matters anyway.

agreeing with this.

loving the band and their music is the most important.

its a personal opinion though.

There is alot of music from japan that stands out while there isnt too much from the west that stands out, that said the music cant be good, but there simply come things from japan that cant be produced anywhere else - while what comes from america is being produced everywhere else.

Bias. Bias. Bias. That's all that needs to be said.

Music is universal. Artists from all countries take things from their country just as much as they rip off and borrow things from other countries. As a matter of fact, this happens so much that if you were to maintain "principle" and not listen to music that got an idea or a riff from somewhere else you'd pretty much just ignore music altogether. It's like Champ said, it's not about how original your ideas are, it's about how well it's done.

The Japanese do music just as well as any other country does it - it's just that you prefer the way it's done in Japan compared to how Americans do it differently, Canadians do it differently and Swedes do it differently. Anything that can be produced can be copied and made better or worse.

And agreed with SUBLIMINAL:

What was OP thinking? -___-. This place is full to the brim of VK fanatics that think that any artist that doesn't dress up in more than four colors isn't worth listening to. I saw this faggotry on a last.fm shoutbox where someone stated loosely that Fear From The Hate would be a better band if they were VK. No. But that's getting off topic.

To be on topic, I'm not addicted to Japanese music anymore. I was addicted when I had the notion that only they could make music and that everyone else sucked. When I finally realized a simple truth that all stopped.

And this was the simple truth: VK is relatively underground in Japan. In order to stumble across it you have to actively search for it. That means everyone on this forum went actively searching for UNDERGROUND MUSIC! Once you immerse yourself in it overseas you get this delusion that VK is rampant across Japan and that everyone listens to it and knows who Dir en grey or MALICE MIZER is. This is wrong. To find good music anywhere, you have to scratch past the surface and dig deep. The problem here is that plenty of fans dug deep and found VK and are now content with where they sit so they don't want to dig again in another country and find more good music because this is good enough to them. This is my personal experience and I'm sure someone else may share it.

To find good music anywhere, you have to scratch past the surface and dig deep. The problem here is that plenty of fans dug deep and found VK and are now content with where they sit so they don't want to dig again in another country and find more good music because this is good enough to them. This is my personal experience and I'm sure someone else may share it.
in that way i found my favorite artists and bands. try to explore more about japanese music not just the new ones but the old ones also. the more i become addicted to it the more i explore and search for more beautiful and cool music. DONT BE CONTENTED.

^ that song so popular back then. Anyone who have parents/family who live/was lived in Asia, ask ur mom, dad, aunts or uncle. I bet they familiar with this song when they were a teenager. I know my Dad did xD

try to listen to it, and see how far you can appreciate old skool Japanese music in general (not just rock)

I have to agree with the points Champ, Subliminal, and Zesshoku brought up.

There is wonderful music to be found everywhere. Just look for it...it's surprisingly easy to do.

My favourite thing here is how "western" always means "American". Hell, even Black Metal fans are more open minded than some people here.

Trufax: Japan's music scene is not that unique. Especially their harder rock/metal one. For a country that's incredibly imaginative when it comes to just about anything, music hardly ever seems to be one of them. A lot of the music from there strikes me more as influenced rather than influential. Sigh, Boris and Mono might be exceptions, but they're the only bands that come to mind. The world is huge, folks. And the Japanese aren't some kinda master race. Try exploring a bit. Just stay out of the charts.

And as for VK? Hah. Laughable. After all those stolen riffs/songs in their entirety I had the misfortune of having to cringe through, there's no chance in hell I will ever call it unique. Styling your hair and wearing stupid clothes in this day and age is not unique. David Bowie did that shit in the 70's.

Herp. I'm Bob Sapp.