Sign in to follow this  
Aion

My First Japanese trip

So, the time has finally come, I'm going to Japan all by myself :). This would be the first time I'm going to Japan, let alone undertaking such a big travel all by myself. I've been to other cities by myself alfready, but Japan is something different than, let's say, Cologne, Barcelona or Paris :) I know a little Japanese and I'm not too affraid of talking to strangers, so that shouldn't be too big of a trouble. Especially as I know in popular places there are always some people that talk a little English :)

So, do some people have some good advices for me.

Stuff I assembled so far by myself

General Info

Date:

March 2012, probably 6-20 March (need to be back on the 23rd)

Destination:

I primarily want to go to Tokyo, visit some livehouses and explore the city, but I'm also intrigued by Mt Fuji and Kyoto, maybe some short trips (say, Mt Fuji 1 day, Kyoto 3 days?). Maybe even someone can recommend me some stuff that I must see beside my regular planning =)

Travelstyle:

I decided to do everything by myself. Buying a ticket, a 14day railpass, booking the hotel, as I've done similar stuff before and it was the cheapest way :) Maybe someone can recommend me an hotel?

Some points of interest

* I heard something about that Japan doesn't really have a GSM network in the country, so Western mobiles won''t work there, and if they do, it's really expensive... So, how's it with the Wifi in most hotels? Or maybe it's better to also use a small Wi-Fi router, so I can always use my phone as GPS and send my mail. Little bit expensive I guess, but a Dutch travel agency has recommended it... (or at least, as a possibility), Or should I just rent a Japanese phone?

* The Rail Pass is for most travelling in the city and to other cities. Does this also include nighttrains, for example to Kyoto?

Maybe some other peeps can fill me in with other things I forgot to mention or may have forgotten at all :)

(be back later)

Why don't you try couchsurfing? Doesn't cost anything, it would be a great chance to meet new people and also see more places than these usual tourist traps, especially if they're local.

//Oh, and of course, have fun and be safe then. :P

first thing I always do after arrival (depending on arrival situation / jetlag but at least on my first "regular" day);

riding thunder dolphin at LaQua -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Dolphin

best thing to do to get your adrenaline-shot and kind of getting awake - everyone should try!

Only bad thing -> it seems to be closed at the moment (I think to due an accident some time ago?).

But if it's open -> don't hesitate; it's fun.

as for live-houses; you should find all info you need on the nets (tokyo gig guide & others, I'll post some links later on if needed)…

and make sure to check out Shimokita - one of my fav. spots in tokyo (esp. for Indie Lovers).

One of my personal insider-tipps is to visit a midday-live at mona records on a saturday or sunday. Way relaxing - you can get your ticket with some food and enjoy way nice and pretty much unknown local Indie-Artists (more on the indie-pop and singer-songwriter side but I've also seen stuff like post rock there).

as for transportation;

get yourself a SUICA (most convenient way is by just buying the SUICA N'ex ticket at the airport on your arrival)…

also check yourself a place to stay where you're not too far away from subway/railway-stations (best is Yamanote line).

I find Ikebukuro to be a nice spot but that's up to your preferences - the music stpots are usually located around shibuya and shinjuku.

as for hotels; your usual business class hotel should offer wired lag or even wlan which works just fine… I did not need a telephone/handset there - just got everything organized with the internet at the hotel (and with maps and stuff on my phone - but "offline" usage was enough for me).

as for "tourist spots" -> the usual stuff… Ueno Park, Tokyo Tower, Oidaba and stuff…

but for me it was all about visiting live-houses every evening and not so much touristic stuff.

if you need any assistance feel free to ask… =)

I stayed at a hotel in Ikebukuro called Sakura Hotel, the all spoke english at the hotel and there is a cafe next to the lobby so you meet alot of people.

Ikebukuro is in the yamanote line with includes most of the big stations in Tokyo, (Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akihabara ) So it was really easy to get around.

my only advice is spend as little time in Tokyo as possible (maybe catch a concert or 2 and gtfo). You won't regret it. Head to kansai or kyushu most of your trip. Since you are tourist you can get railpass I'd recommend it. Also if you buy the railpass then staying in Tokyo is also wasting the money you paid. That time of year is quite nice, but going much more North of Tokyo will be colder if you don't mind? Also business hotels are always great place to stay. Almost always have space and affordable. Kyoto/Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka are all great cities to visit.

I also have in plans going to Japan at June/July 2012. It's organized by a Japanese language school in Warsaw, mostly it's a two week trip for students. As for the payment term I need to bring there 3000 zł (around $9818 in recount) until the half of January. So I keep the hope that it gonna all achieve.

I'm going to visit Tokyo and Shizuoka. I've been at the conversation week ago and I received most of the detalis. I'll have to prepare a short presentation about my country, as well the organisators mentioned that I'll be with other students taking part in a local dance festival. Mostly this will be a trip when I'll attend to local Japanese course where I'll be able to write and pass JLPT at N3 level.

I'll be staying at Japanese family's home, also there's going to be several free times to visit the towns.

Anyway, Aion I hope that you will have a good time in Japan.

as for telephone/celly problems.

if you have quad band or penta band fone, you need not to worry, it will working there.

because Japan have different radio wave for their cellphone (2100 band) and most part of the world did not use it.

all you need to do is to buy local SIM card there and you're set.

yes the price will be high due to roaming fee.

but if you have locked fone, ask your provider if they have service on that part of the world.

usually the major carriers have partners all around the world.

also, currently there is news that radiation issue is getting more serious.

the Japanese government have to stop their rice export because of this.

Maybe you may want to consider this or if you like to reschedule.

I'm not afraid of the radiation of any sort to be honest. If it was such a big health issue, half of Japan would be under quarantaine... As long as that isn't the case, my 2/3 weeks of being there shouldn't do much harm...

As for travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto and back i would go with the night buses but it depends if you know just a little bit japanese to reserve the ticket online. If no still worth to try to find site with english service. You just get this bus in the evening and get to Kyoto in the morning same thing you can do with travelling back to Tokyo. It's safe nice and get few stops on the way where you can get some hot tea or coffe:)

As for the hotel everytime i was staying in some hotel in Shinjuku cause it's close to station so you can get everywhere from there plus a lot of places where you can eat just around the corner. Oh and of course Marui one department store with nice visual kei clothes, cds etc. I was staying in shinjuku sunlite hotel but i would recommend west wing hotel - its even closer to center.

Ahh i can't wait till i come back there:)

I'm planning to use the Toyoko Inn-franchise which varies between 5500 and 7500 yen a night... Going to get a membership then which offers a discount and every 10th night free stay...

in my time in Tokyo I will try to spend most of it in Shimokitazawa and Ikebukuro, they seem the most enjoying for me...

niw, haven't mentioned it here...

Bought my ticket a few weeks back

Will be in Japan from March 6-20, current planning

6-8 - Tokyo

8-12 - Osaka (with one day Kyoto)

12-14 - Nagoya

14-20 - Tokyo

Could change though, first week is sightseeing, 2nd week primarily leisuring (live-houses etc)...

Ow! Have you book your accomodation yet?

I guess it will be best to book in advance,

since pricing can be higher if you book in person while there.

As for travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto and back i would go with the night buses but it depends if you know just a little bit japanese to reserve the ticket online. If no still worth to try to find site with english service. You just get this bus in the evening and get to Kyoto in the morning same thing you can do with travelling back to Tokyo. It's safe nice and get few stops on the way where you can get some hot tea or coffe:)

Willer Express has a great site in English and you can pay with credit card. I was thinking of taking their night buss but then I figured I can't sleep in a buss anyway, and didn't wanna miss a night's sleep at the time, so took a day bus instead. Which is like 9 hours, but it was a nice rest after all the walking and seats had screens for movies. It's less than half the price of the slowest shinkansen, which is pretty expensive, even with Puratto Kodama Economy Plan! But if one plans to buy a railpass and use it, it should be a lot cheaper than individual tickets anyway.

Sign in to follow this