Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Zess' foray into epic video game making

...which hopefully I won't give up on halfway through and half-ass like last time XD.

So backstory is: I'm bored, I have Java skills that i don't want to deteriorate and an urge to make video games. So I'm making a video game. I put this here because it's half-serious, half a joke and I'm not too sure how far I'll get before I become infuriated and give up with the whole thing.

So today was Day 1. As of today I've started the video game. I've created the frame and nested three panels within. I've also got background artwork for the panel as well as the "whatever is behind the panel" panel. I've also designed the game panel so that it can scroll. The ship is also playable, doesn't leave the game panel and can fire bullets.

This is a picture of my hard labors.

Laugh away.

/ :soam:

Day 2: Learned a whole lot of different ways to accomplish absolutely nothing. Not all was lost though. I got the background to scroll and stay contained within the box that I want it to so now all I need is an actual background to put in there. Cleaned up some parts of the code and replaced some images.

After 9 hours of coding sporadically I FINALLY get a menu of sorts working. I had button issues -___-. OK so the idea was that there'd be a menu where the user could choose difficulty and ship and other stuff before starting the game. When I press the button the panel goes away and the game starts up but the button wouldn't undepress and nothing would happen. I don't even remember what I did but now it works. I just forgot to switch focus the whole time by not calling panel1.requestFocusInWindow(); (or storing it in a variable to begin with) so the game wouldn't play when the magic happened. All fixed now.

I'd screencap but it's just a black screen with a button.

Day 3: I did something completely extra but it adds awesomeness to the game and makes it look more official: I added a pre-game menu. The plan is the user selects ship and difficulty before the game starts to make it a more customizable experience. It doesn't look like much but Java wasn't meant to make video games with and it took all day to do.

I wanted to add background artwork but Java said no :(. Plus, it might make things look hard to read.

As for the actual game I just swapped out some graphics and made the background scrollable. You can't tell from this pic but here you go anyway.

Yay?

Day 4 (so far): Put in some new graphics, score and health is now updated on the side. Taking a zen break until I figure out how to efficiently add enemies. Zen break has been taken and I figured something out. They'll still be a pain in the ass but at least everything looks cleaner.

Oh yeah...

Day 5: The menu looked like it was in super-alpha stage so I decided to go back and redesign it from the ground up. It took a few hours but the result is here. Background image isn't final but I needed something there right now to make sure it worked. You click on the pictures which are buttons to go to the next screen. Final screen propels you into game screen, where frame resizes itself.

Which one is better guys?

It looks good, the blue background.

Still cannot anything with the background for games?

Or at least colour?

Looks kinda funny is all in black white like that :P

/demanding

Keep it up! Don't make me pull my whip out of retirement... or start working on the game I was making a few years back because I just don't have the time for that. D:

OK I should be back to programming this today. I've had cooling problems with my computer these last two days so I couldn't program much.

Sign in to follow this