Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Meshuggah

Meshuggah1.jpg

Meshuggah is an experimental metal band formed in Umeå, Sweden in 1987. Meshuggah's line-up has primarily consisted of founding members vocalist Jens Kidman and lead guitarist Fredrik Thordendal, drummer Tomas Haake, who joined in 1990, and rhythm guitarist Mårten Hagström, who joined in 1993. The band has gone through a number of bassists, but the position has been held by Dick Lövgren since 2004.

Meshuggah first attracted international attention with the 1995 release Destroy Erase Improve for its fusion of fast-tempo death metal, thrash metal and progressive metal with jazz fusion elements. Since its 2002 album Nothing, Meshuggah has used downtuned eight-string guitars. Meshuggah has become known for innovative musical style, complex, polymetered song structures and polyrhythms.

Meshuggah has become known for its innovative musical style that evolves between each release and pushes heavy metal into new territory, and for its technical prowess. Hagström comments: "We try never to repeat ourselves." Rolling Stone labeled Meshuggah as "one of the ten most important hard and heavy bands", and the Alternative Press named it the "most important band in metal." Meshuggah has been described as virtuoso or genius-bordering musicians, "recognized by mainstream music magazines, especially those dedicated to particular instruments". In 2007, Meshuggah earned an in-depth analysis by the academic journal Music Theory Spectrum. Meshuggah has found little mainstream success but is a significant act in extreme underground music and an influence for many modern metal bands.

Meshuggah - Bleed

qc98u-eGzlc

Meshuggah - Rational Gaze

D08JDW_vZ5c

I've only heard their last 3 abums so far, but I've been meaning to check out their older stuff. I love their experimental side and of course their musical composition/instrumentality. They got so much stuff going on in their songs, it makes a good music theory and ear training study.

Negative OldCheesey comes back. I gotta admit, this is THE absolutely worst band that I know of. I can listen to their debut without dying too much, but I find everything else to be horrible. It actually sounds like a bunch of guys have terrible spasms and recodign it. I cannot seem to understand how that can be listenable to anyone at all.

CHUG CHUG CHUG SPASM SPASM SPAM! :P

Negative OldCheesey comes back. I gotta admit, this is THE absolutely worst band that I know of. I can listen to their debut without dying too much, but I find everything else to be horrible. It actually sounds like a bunch of guys have terrible spasms and recodign it. I cannot seem to understand how that can be listenable to anyone at all.

Actually I know some other people who feel this way. They don't really seem to be for everyone and with all the complex song structures and odd time signatures, poly-rhythms and all those odd musical techniques their using, it makes it hard to discern their music.

Well, it's no the complet structures, odd musical tequincs or something that bothers me. That's stuff I can live with. It's just that all their riffs sounds like people with instruments getting spasms. It's all chugging from begining to end, in most of their songs. I just don't get it :S

DJENTDJENTDJENTDJENTDJENT

I like Nothing and Chaosphere, that's it. The rest of their material is pretty shit.

I like to listen to them from time to time, but not something I can always listen to. xD I don't really like their very old stuff (when they were more "regular thrash"-like), but the other albums are more or less equally okay for me.

Destroy Erase Improve is the only album of theirs I enjoy listening to.

Destroy Erase Improve is the only album of theirs I enjoy listening to.

THIS

Their current djentdjentdjentchugchugchugging style sucks

:arg:

I seriously need to ask: what the fuck is "djent"? I've seen lots of people use it, but no one ever told me what on earth it is. I'm newb when it comes to stuff like that. Tell me, tell me!

It's a reiteration that people think is an awesome way to describe a heavily distorted palm muted chord. I think the term was coined by Misha Mansoor from Periphery.

I tried hard getting into this band for ages, but simply couldn't. They're nothing but incredibly boring and repetitive chugging to me.

Also, Bleed is one of the most overrated metal songs ever!

It's a reiteration that people think is an awesome way to describe a heavily distorted palm muted chord. I think the term was coined by Misha Mansoor from Periphery.

well frederik (meshuggah) started with the term to describe the sound by muting with one's palm. mish started to use it to search for guitars which had a heavy "djent(ly)" sound. since he is quite famous for his work ppl started to copy his terminology and that's how the (imo ridiculous and stupid) "djent-wave"

although i admit that i'm into those "djent" bands, i rly hate to use that word as a genre, since it's just plain technical and prog metal - nothing more and nothing less

well frederik (meshuggah) started with the term to describe the sound by muting with one's palm. mish started to use it to search for guitars which had a heavy "djent(ly)" sound. since he is quite famous for his work ppl started to copy his terminology and that's how the (imo ridiculous and stupid) "djent-wave"

although i admit that i'm into those "djent" bands, i rly hate to use that word as a genre, since it's just plain technical and prog metal - nothing more and nothing less

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I don't know much when it comes to "djent" terminology.

I also like a shitload of bands slumped into the category of djent and I can't stand the word either unless I'm using it sarcastically.

sry if i sounded like a smart-ass :P but yeah, the whole thing started like this forum when i comes to jrock - there a some big sites about djent, introducing new bands/promote existing ones. for those who're interested, ie: got-djent.com

to get back to meshuggah: the funny thing is, although the whole "djent-thing" started with this band, all the other newly-emerged bands who use "djent" to identify themselves DON'T sound like meshuggah at all.

to get back to meshuggah: the funny thing is, although the whole "djent-thing" started with this band, all the other newly-emerged bands who use "djent" to identify themselves DON'T sound like meshuggah at all.

Just like with "nintendocore". Started off as a joke and Horse the Band themself despises the term, but a lot of bands have taken it to use after them. However, I have yet to find a single band that sound anything like Horse the Band. None of the other bands have nothing at all to do with the sound of Horse the Band. I find stuff like that to be retarded as fuck.

New album out on March 27! :)

Will definitely be giving it listen. I'm interested in what they'll be putting out this time and what type of reception it will receive.

Sign in to follow this