Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Meshuggah

I must say I'm pleased with the new album. :) Has some pretty sick stuff and cool guitar/drum interactions. On my 2nd listen now.

The Hurt That Finds You First is so sweet~

Marrow is really cool/groovy too, especially that solo part!

Demiurge stood out to me too, crushing stuff!

The Demon's Name is Surveillance and Behind the Sun are my two favorites on first listen. Funny because while I listen to bands inspired by Meshuggah, I've never picked up an album by them before this.

After giving the new album a listen, I consider Koloss to be one my favorite meshuggah albums. It maybe less schizophrenic then some of more their other material, but it’s still very much controlled chaos. And of course there is the exception like The Demon’s Name Is Surveillance and The Hurt That Finds You First which are complete beasts. There are other moments in songs where that controlled heaviness bursts into technical fury. The album is heavy, dark and brooding and employ’s the techniques that meshuggah has become known for. The heavily palm muted power chords and chugging, the use of syncopation and dissonance. I imagine songs like I am Colossus and Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave it Motion is the type of music one would use to hypnotize dragons.

So yeah, it's a great release.

Favorite songs have to be Behind the Sun and The Hurt That Finds You First.

Gave them a listen some time ago. I can always appreciate musicians who are really into technical stuff, even if a lot of their stuff might be over my head or difficult to listen to. It's much better than bands that are just catchy, but superficially so, and have nothing else going for them.

Haven't listened to the new album, maybe I'll download it now :D

The band made a new 2-track EP available for free download, check it! Has one new song and a live version of a previous one. Pretty cool.

Also, anyone else catching them on their spring Europe tour (or in Feb/March in the US)? Hoping to go to Budapest myself, at the end of April.

Scion is awesome with those free downloads. And I had chance to see them last year but I missed out. I wanted to go check them out this time around, but I won't be able to due to conflicting schedules. The day they're playing in NY happens to be my B-day. They have Animals As Leaders as an opening act which is a huge plus. I love those guy. 

The band made a new 2-track EP available for free download, check it! Has one new song and a live version of a previous one. Pretty cool.

Also, anyone else catching them on their spring Europe tour (or in Feb/March in the US)? Hoping to go to Budapest myself, at the end of April.

band has been on my wanna go see live a long time and I know that thay coming finland , new song is sick and that live vers is okay

Trippy vid, love this band so much :D

But where's the love for Catch 33 here? That album destroys the rest of their discography (except for I, but Catch 33 is still better).

Catch 33 is their best album imo. I'm waiting for them to re-release it with I as a bonus track.

Apparently Meshuggah are in my top artists charts on last.fm, and I've seen them live a couple of times so I guess I'm a fan. They're still better than all the kids who claim to see them as an influence.

Catch 33 is their best album imo. I'm waiting for them to re-release it with I as a bonus track.

Apparently Meshuggah are in my top artists charts on last.fm, and I've seen them live a couple of times so I guess I'm a fan. They're still better than all the kids who claim to see them as an influence.

They have, still and always will be better then the people that they influence. Meshuggah is the God in a sea of imitators.

Also a re-releace of Catch 33 would be pointless to be fair :/.

Well...they've released all their other albums in special editions since, always including EPs as bonus tracks...and "I" is a sold out limited run...and Frederick Thordendal is making music with Special Defects again...and the album sounds like plastic because of that drum machine and would not hold out to the super-clean mixing of recent efforts (Koloss and Pitch Black).

Then there's the fact Meshuggah is big enough to release anything they want.

I think it's far from pointless xD

But in another to-be-fair moment, I don't mind Vildhjarta. At least their singer(s) sound like their balls have dropped.

Well...they've released all their other albums in special editions since, always including EPs as bonus tracks...and "I" is a sold out limited run...and Frederick Thordendal is making music with Special Defects again...and the album sounds like plastic because of that drum machine and would not hold out to the super-clean mixing of recent efforts (Koloss and Pitch Black).

Then there's the fact Meshuggah is big enough to release anything they want.

I think it's far from pointless xD

But in another to-be-fair moment, I don't mind Vildhjarta. At least their singer(s) sound like their balls have dropped.

"Well...they've released all their other albums in special editions since, always including EPs as bonus tracks": Which In my opinion is pointless since they had no reason at all to re-releace those albums (unless they were originally limited in print which in that case I wouldn't mind) except for Nothing which they re-releaced due to fact that the production on the original nothing was rushed and they wanted the crushing sound of their 8-string on Nothing so they re-releaced it to get the results which the band originally intended.

"and "I" is a sold out limited run": Print more, simple.

".and Frederick Thordendal is making music with Special Defects again": Fucking W00T!

"and the album sounds like plastic because of that drum machine and would not hold out to the super-clean mixing of recent efforts": The drum machine's fine though. I never saw a problem with it and if anything, it went with the overall robotic tone of the album.

"Then there's the fact Meshuggah is big enough to release anything they want": True, but all because they can doesn't mean they should.

Most of the EPs were limited, yes. I actually hated the re-recording of Nothing (which I owned long before finding a copy of the original). Again, it was mostly the drum machine that made it sound too hollow for my liking. Just I is the only EP they haven't issued as a bonus track of something, and Catch 33 is the only option.

Robotic is good, yes, but the weak drum sample left a lot of empty space the guitars didn't quite fill up. I mean, whenever I play I, I have to turn the volume up. It sounds flat. Besides, the drummer is robotic enough! He's a bloody genius when it comes to what he does. Why replace him, if the aesthetic qualities is no longer something they're after (which it clearly isn't, because they went back to organic studio drumming merely a year or so later).

Of course they shouldn't, unless they do some HEAVY AND SIGNIFICANT remastering. That and limited printings are the only things that justifies a re-release. Maybe not COMPLETELY, but enough not to irk me. I usually just buy the better version and sell the old one.

I don't like they one they use. Drumkit from Hell. It's always recognisable, and always lacking. When a band uses a drum machine with power, it can sound great. '80s bands did it right.

That and the 8-string guitars weren't as distorted as the 7-strings, which meant there was even more space in the mix that should've been filled up with bass and drums.

experimental metal???

I think they're progressive post-thrash metal...

I know they're the pioneer of djent.

Sign in to follow this