4. Egoist

5. CODE7203-KineSicS

6. Cla vi us

7. Charlotte

8. gaudie

9. Scar.

10. Toon factory

Guest o hai itz will

Well that's really it. The language barrier and the fact they're japanese is whats kept them from getting a bigger fanbase. Do they deserve more recognition? I'd say so. But do they deserve to sell out STADIUMS across the world? No. I could go on about why they deserve such recognition, but I won't bother.

I guess in the grand scheme of things the world needs to recognize many other bands such as D'espairsRay and MUCC more. They are very deserving of attention but don't seem to get much of it.

When it comes to bands in the world of J-Rock, I would say bands such as FujiFabric, DaizyStripper, and EAT YOU ALIVE are VERY underappreciated.

But when it comes to Japanese bands in the world of music (i.e. consisting of all bands, not just japanese), Dir en grey is easily at the top of the list.

ixy1zo.jpg

No.

Guest o hai itz will

Yes. You kids love to say that, but yet nothing to back up your narrow claims. Whatever xD

Well, the style diru is doing just isn't popular enough to get worldwide attention actually. Name a similar western band that is well-known around the globe and has multiple chart-hits? Fans within the genre do know diru even though they're not familiar with the Japanese musicscene. I know a fairly big share of people that have heard of them even they've got nothing with Japan, only with the musicgenre. So in that case I wouldn't call them undervalued.

In that case artists as Ayumi Hamasaki and UVERworld would be more undervalued since they are pop

Guest o hai itz will
Well, the style diru is doing just isn't popular enough to get worldwide attention actually. Name a similar western band that is well-known around the globe and has multiple chart-hits? Fans within the genre do know diru even though they're not familiar with the Japanese musicscene. I know a fairly big share of people that have heard of them even they've got nothing with Japan, only with the musicgenre. So in that case I wouldn't call them undervalued.

In that case artists as Ayumi Hamasaki and UVERworld would be more undervalued since they are pop

The style they are currently approaching, is Metalcore. They have been slowly inching towards the Metalcore/Deathcore genre for sometime now. It started way back on Marrow of a Bone, and just progressed from there (even though UROBOROS was largely a prog-metal album).

And not popular? Here are some of Dir en grey's current influences:

Bring Me The Horizon (Hageshisa to progression is very similar to a lot of their songs)

Opeth (this was shown in Vinushka, and I guess you could say reiketsu nariseba)

Korn (infamous "nu metal" band that inspired DEG for 3 songs or so. Lie Buried With A Vengeance being one of them)

These bands in the world of metal, are huge, especially Opeth.

The band has been playing the right music to get attention, but the fact remains that it's largely because they're Japanese. People immediately jump to conclusions and state that if they can't tell what the vocalist is saying, then they refuse to listen to it. Eliminating this mentality would surely through the band into much higher status than they are now.

I would also like to say that to the NEW generation of J-Rock fans, I would say all of the old VK and J-Rock bands in general (aside from X Japan and Luna Sea) are completely underappreciated. Bands such as color, D'erlanger, Kuroyume, etc. all played a crucial part in Japanese music, but people nowadays always forget about them. It's depressing.

I think you're only picking Diru because they are arguably the most popular Japanese band with a Western audience. But that doesn't make their music any better or more worthy of appreciation than a shit ton of other Japanese bands. One could easily argue that there are many Japanese bands are worthy of more international attention.

But what's the point? Generally speaking, unless you sing in English, you will NEVER be widely popular with an American audience. That's just how it is. And since America has the biggest music industry, and Japan has the second biggest, what other market is there for them to go for besides America? I don't think Diru deserves to be recognized any more than any other Japanese band. And there are plenty of Japanese metalcore bands with the above influences, jsyk.

Guest 膣分泌液
Yes. You kids love to say that, but yet nothing to back up your narrow claims. Whatever xD
The amount of festivals the do overseas, the fact they're constantly in the rock magazines here, the amount of times they've sold out in London (srsly, gtfo out of Koko. Love that place. It doesn't need an awful former-Kuroyume cover band there.) and the crazy fans they have - when they played my uni there were freaks camped out two days in advance for it.
I understand where Will's coming from, it's pretty much true really.

29mufd1.gif

1. LOGiQ <<<< do u guys have any news of them?.? they r on hiatus or what =.=

LOVE THEM, they're alive kinda it seems - Kain have been gigging a bit and they're often also in the billing. Their OHP (now dead) says they went on hiatus in Jan though. I need an album, they haven't released a single bad song yet.

Guest o hai itz will

lol @ Herpes. You do realize that despite the love for them in the media and the music industry itself (supposedly some members of Metallica enjoy them, Slipknot wanted to tour with them, etc) the average fans of music still want nothing to do with them? Why? Because they're Japanese. I don't even know how many times I have to say that. Due to the language barrier, no one will give them a listen, which has been plaguing them for sometime as a band.

Former Kuroyume coverband?! LOL! They started their career (under the name under La:Sadie's and then DEATHMASK) covering Luna Sea and X Japan songs. EVERY BAND DOES THIS! lol. Kyo was just a Kuroyume roadie for a while (which is not uncommon for musical artists) before he formed La:Sadie's. Everyone has to start somewhere, correct?

oh you kids these days.

Guest 膣分泌液
lol @ Herpes. You do realize that despite the love for them in the media and the music industry itself (supposedly some members of Metallica enjoy them, Slipknot wanted to tour with them, etc) the average fans of music still want nothing to do with them? Why? Because they're Japanese. I don't even know how many times I have to say that. Due to the language barrier, no one will give them a listen, which has been plaguing them for sometime as a band.

Former Kuroyume coverband?! LOL! They started their career (under the name under La:Sadie's and then DEATHMASK) covering Luna Sea and X Japan songs. EVERY BAND DOES THIS! lol. Kyo was just a Kuroyume roadie for a while (which is not uncommon for musical artists) before he formed La:Sadie's. Everyone has to start somewhere, correct?

oh you kids these days.

Riiight. Not everyone's as close-minded as you massively generalise, and I mean the genre they play is nothing but heavy riffs and screaming - who the fuck listens to metal for the lyrics? Hasn't stopped bands like Boris, Loudness, or Sigh and Japanese Noise artists are amongst the most respected worldwide.

(Plus Billboard agree you're wrong too! from their wiki (source there):

Billboard commenting on the group's international fanbase, that the band "has transcended the language barrier in the United States through its music" and "gained its audience without singing in English") oh snap.

Lolol and someone has clearly never heard Kuroyume's Cruel and Feminism albums or seen their look at that era. Compare it to early DeG, not La:Sadie's (the only talented member quit, good move Kisaki).

Oh Dir en Grey fans. Can't blame them though :-/ , listening to that would damage my cognitive functions too bb.

Bands such as color, D'erlanger, Kuroyume, etc. all played a crucial part in Japanese music, but people nowadays always forget about them. It's depressing.

That should be "played a crucial part in visual kei."

And "DEATHMASK" is a Kuroyume song, so I don't see how they weren't at one point in time trying to emulate the band even if they weren't nescessarily their cover act.

@Herpes: Kisaki was the most talented member? Wow, they must have been CRAAAAPPPPY!!!

Guest o hai itz will

"nothing but heavy riffs and screaming" lol. Your view on music is very narrow, I will not comment further on that.

I'm sure we've already been over this (media acclaim =/= success). Billboard only commented their accomplishment of making it on the Top 200 Billboard chart, and furthermore, know nothing about Dir en grey. You do not know the DEG fanbase (which is made up of mostly weeaboo vk fans, anime fans, and a FEW legitimate music enthusiasts), and nor does Billboard. Dir en grey became very popular amongst the niche of J-Rock and VK fans around the world. Those fans became dedicated followers, which is why magazines also state that the DEG fanbase is like a CULT. The band picked up a few fans here and there from their Deftones shows, and their Korn support shows, but that's it.

Boris: got a fanbase from indie crowds who like pretty much any kind of music. The largest venues they play are, at max, 600 person venues as opposed to DEG 3,000 capacity venues.

LOUDNESS: Were much like any other phase and soon died out. They supposedly have dedicated fans, but the largest shows they play now in the states are Bars and venues around the 300 or so.

Sigh: Practically never play shows but still have a decent following. note: not comparable to DEG's though.

And all of those other japanese noise bands play even smaller venues / only one or two venues per tour in the US. They're just like any other VK band that come here for the first time, play a few shows, and carry on.

@Cibicco: I will concede that Kyo and the other members were trying to present themselves very similarly, but that's how 99% of bands start off anyway. But they were in no way, a Kuroyume cover band. That's just laughable.

On that note, I'm curious as to know what kind of music Herpes likes. That could be quite entertaining.

Guest o hai itz will

Oh and something Herpes should note: Kisaki wanted La:Sadie's to move forward and become famous, at that time the rest of the members didn't have any interest in that -- so he left. But then, Toshiya showed up who is a far greater bassist than Kisaki could ever dream of being.

And on that note, Toshiya is probably one of the best bassists (most skilled) to come out of Japan, ever.

Guest o hai itz will

;_;!

I feel like they're all after me! haha

This whole dir en grey argument is useless, as it's impossible to judge the "value" of a band accurately and objectively.

only one thing is for sure d'erlanger is more underappreciated than dir en grey. although both kyo are good but im in favor for the legendary mr.hiroshi isono. in addition to that their friend x-japan has more fans than them esp. when talking about tetsu kikuchi solos that no one bother to comment in the d'erlanger thread made by me.

-i put lots of underappreciated bands and no one bother to comment about those bands.

Guest o hai itz will

And on that note, Toshiya is probably one of the best bassists (most skilled) to come out of Japan, ever.
Now you're just being ridiculous.
and you have someone better in mind?

Guest o hai itz will
This whole dir en grey argument is useless, as it's impossible to judge the "value" of a band accurately and objectively.

It's not completely impossible. Music can be analyzed objectively and critiqued, but the appreciation of music can not. You can flat out say a certain band is bad, and then make a point very objectively. Such as:

"Toshi is a shitty vocalist". Though this is my opinion, it does hold objective fact. It is just like comparing guitarists and the skills they use to play. Clearly you can tell who is better than the other by sheer comparison.

And if you want to go through the trouble, you can look at a band objectively, and decide from that point whether or not they deserve the success they've received thus far or not.

Green Day and Pearl Jam, two prominent bands in the 90's, I could argue do not deserve the amount of fame they've received. Why? Because they were only signed by major labels to please the markets demand for rehashed-pop-punk and the markets demand for "grunge" -- completely cheating the system and pushing out hits that the record label wants. etc.

So I mean music is not as subjective as people like to think, because if it was, it would completely destroy the art movement on which it has grown from.

So I mean music is not as subjective as people like to think, because if it was, it would completely destroy the art movement on which it has grown from.
Uh, what?

What you are describing is craft, or skill, not art.

Yes, you can compare two guitarists or two vocalists, and objectively pick the more skilled one. But skill doesn't equal art.

It's not completely impossible. Music can be analyzed objectively and critiqued, but the appreciation of music can not. You can flat out say a certain band is bad, and then make a point very objectively. Such as:

"Toshi is a shitty vocalist". Though this is my opinion, it does hold objective fact. It is just like comparing guitarists and the skills they use to play. Clearly you can tell who is better than the other by sheer comparison.

And if you want to go through the trouble, you can look at a band objectively, and decide from that point whether or not they deserve the success they've received thus far or not.

Green Day and Pearl Jam, two prominent bands in the 90's, I could argue do not deserve the amount of fame they've received. Why? Because they were only signed by major labels to please the markets demand for rehashed-pop-punk and the markets demand for "grunge" -- completely cheating the system and pushing out hits that the record label wants. etc.

I agree to an extent, but you're kinda missing my point. In this thread, arguing a band's value accurately is nearly impossible because everyone is on a different page. There are too many factors involved and everyone here has their own idea of what a band's "value" is. Just as someone mentioned earlier, some people are basing a band's value purely on how much they like or dislike that band.

So all you have is a buncha people going back and forth, aimlessly. Now, if the topic were to be narrowed down to something a bit more specific like, "most undervalued bands based on record sales" or anything that we could all refer to on an objective scale...then I think that would be a more viable discussion.

Sign in to follow this