Neon

Last movie you saw.

End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones - Title says it all basically. It was a nice documentary with some fun concert bits and interesting interviews providing a good insight into the legendary band. There were lots of stuff I hadn't known about previously, so it was pretty cool.

Year of the Living Dead - This is a documentary about Night of the Living Dead. It's an interesting documentary, and it's both good and entertaining. Every single time Romero is on the screen you cannot help but to smile and feel good. He's such a cute personality, and the way he talks about the people who was around him and helping him produce one of the best films ever, is heartwarming. However, while I do think it's fine to mention the race war and vietnam war that was both going on at the time of this flick, I think they used way too much time on that, and the way they try to make it sound like NofLD, despite Romero clearly saying it wasn't, is a bit annoying. But desite this, it's a good documentary and worth seeing.

Diva - Diva was the first feature-lenght of Jean-Jacques Beineix, and one of the most important films of the 80's cinéma du look-movent, which was a movement in France in the 80's, and is more or less films that are style over substance. And yeah, this film is style over substance. While the casting is almost perfect here, and every actor is amazing, the story is good and all that, the star of the film is Jean-Jacques Beineix' visual vision. It's a visually stunning film. Turn off the lights, turn up the sound, grab a cold beeer and just enjoy this piece of amazing cinema. Great film!

Master of the Flying Guillotine - Master of the Flying Guillotine is the sequel tothe fantastic One Armed Boxer, and starts off right where One Armed Boxer ended. Let me just say this right now, Master of the Flying Guillotine is one of the coolest film titles ever. It's 100% badass, and 100% representative of the film.

Everything here is better than in the One Armed Boxer. Yu Wang is still the lead actor and director, and it's easy to see that he's gained a lot of experience since One Armed Boxer. It looks better and more interesting, the acting overall is better, the fights are better and the pace is way steadier. All of this makes this a superior film the the fantastic One Armed Boxer. The coreography is immense, and every single fight is breathtaking.

One of the things that makes this film so unique, is the soundtrack which was very unusual at its time. Yu Wang chose to use the music of krautrockers Kraftwerk and Neu!, as well as Tangerine Dream, and that really makes this film stand out from every other kung fu-film I've ever seen. He didn't hae the permission to use those songs, though, but I am glad he did.

Oneof the characters in this film inspired the creators of Steeet Fighter, and Quentin Tarantino have stated several times that this flick is among his all-time favourites, and it's easy to understand why. Such a great and badass film. He also used Neu!'s Super 16 in Kill Bill. Super 16 was also used in this film.

Borderland - Very cool, but a tad disappointing, thriller that is very loosely based on Adolfo Constanzo, his cult and their human sacrifices. It's obviously very far from the true happening, but it's good anyway. But they should've used more time on the cult and their sacrifices, and more terror would've been great. But it was enjoyable anyway, and the special effects are pitch fucking perfet. They look aaaaamazing!

The Story of Luke: amazingly found this movie after hours of movie browsing on netflix. (surprise surprise). The movie ended up being way better than I was anticipating. It had some humor, but there was a part where it just made me cry. Call me a sissy I don't care. lol. Anyway, here's the description off IMDb if anyone wants to watch it!

Sheltered by his grandparents, Luke, a young man with autism, is thrust into a world that doesn't expect anything from him. But Luke is on a quest for a job and true love. And he isn't taking no for an answer.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil - Documentary about an old Canadian heavy metal band who still hasn't quite made it big (tho they enjoyed moderate success in the '80s). Very interesting look into the personal lives of the band members, how they still keep going and still hoping to get the recognition they deserve. It's all a bit sad really, but filled with both funny and stressful moments. The ending is nice!

Dead of Night - I finally rewatched this anthology-film and it's still great. The film consists of five short stories and a linking narrative, and they're all great. The golf story was a lot better than I remembered. Silly, yes, but it's such a fine contrast to the other stories. Great film with a fine atmosphere.

30 Days of Night - Amazing vampire horror with a brilliant setting, awesome vampires and great special effects. There's not much more to say about this. One of the better vampire films in modern time.

Would You Rather - Decent low budget horror in the vein of Saw. Not a copy of Saw, but still has a lot of similarities. Sasha Grey is an AWFUL actor, but Jeffrey Combs just makes up for it. He's amazing! But the film should have been even more over the top and fucked up to be honest. But I was entertained. Decent stuff.

The Seventh Victim - Another horror film I rewatched. 70 years after and it's still unique. The Seventh Victim is a very dark mixture of horror and film-noir, and a film that was many, many, many years ahead of its time. The sets are amazing, much thanks to the use of darkness and shadows. The cast is great, and it's just such a grim, eerie and atmospheric film.

Iron Monkey - I decided to rewatch this too. Fantastic martial arts film with Donnie Yen and Rongguang Yu. The fights are brilliantly coreographed and the wire-work is amazing. Fucking King Kong palm, man. Brutal stuff. A must-see for fans of martial arts fantasy films.

On the Job - Very good filopino crime-thriller with a clever story and great action scenes. Amazing acting as well. It should've beena  bit longer though, because I think the characters should've been further developed. But it was good anyway.

Pontypool - Smart and witty virus-horror with a fantastic Stephen McHattie in the lead role. He was damn impressive here. The plot might be a tad to silly for some, but I liked it a lot. Good film!

Danger: Diabolik - Fantastic, over the top and very stylish live-action film based on the Italian comic Diabolik. Danger: Diabolik is a nice mixture of action, thriller and eurospy and feels like a mix of Fantomas, James Bond and 60's Batman with a twist of psychedelia. Mario Bava, the director of Danger: Diabolik, is most known for his extremely stylish, atmospheric and fantastic horror and giallo films, even though he's made other things as well. This is obviously one of those, and he excecute is perfectly. The strongest point of the film is its visuals, but everything is top notch. It's surreal and it's psychedelic.

It's a misunderstood film, as Bava & co expected people outside of Italy to be known with Diabolik. They weren't, and they just didn't get the film. Shame really.

Bava was used to small budgets where he really had to put his talents into the tilm making, but for this film he got $3m. What did he do? He stayed true to his beliefs and used only $400k. Genius!

Fun fact 1: Fantomex from X-Men is based off Diabolik and Fantomas.

Fantomex' suit is a white version of Diabolik's.

Fantomex' boat is called E.V.A., Diabolik's lover is a girl named Eva.

Fantomex' real name is Jean-Phillipe, a refrence to John Phillip Law, the man who played Diabolik in Danger: Diabolik.

(and Fantomex' name is obviously inspired by Fantomas)

Fun fact 2: Mike Patton found two names he wanted to call his band, Fantomas and Diabolik. He went for Fantomas as we know, but that's awesome.

The Dark - Awful horrorfilm with very little of quality to it. The setting is nice and the house on the other side is good, but that's it. The rest of the film feels like the writer woke up one night and just wrote down what he could remember from the last five horror films he saw, and wrote a script based on that. Awful!

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy - Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy is a four hour long documentary about everything that has to do with the A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, and a bit about how New Line Cinema got so big. This movie serves you good, interesting and very entertainting interview with people such as Wes Craven, Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, Robert Shaye, John Saxon, Alice Cooper and Dokken among others, as well as lots of other info about scripts and ideas that was never used, the special effects and much more.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy is a fantastic documentary that's sniffing on a 10/10. Four hours of pure gold, and a must-see for every fan of A Nightmare on Elm Street, be it just the first film, several of the films or all of them. Pure gold!

Borgman - What a nice and unusual movie! It reminded me of David Lynch for some reason (or maybe Lars von Trier), eventho it wasn't all that Lynchian... maybe just because of the tense, weird atmosphere. Lots of interesting symbolism and weirdness going on that will make you think after the movie is over -- also very pretty toned-down visuals. Jan Bijvoet who played the title character was awesome! If you like slow-burning uncomfortable thrillers/dramas with a tinge of the surreal, I recommend watching it. It gives a whole new meaning to "home invasion horror" lol (tho make no mistake, it wasn't really a horror flick).

Nice, sounds good. Gotta watch it soon enough!

The Detective - I thought I recognized the cover for this film, but I was a bit unsure, and I didn't remember the title (and had given it no score in IMDB). But a minute into the film I realised that I had seen it before. I own it, but under the Finnish title, The Photo, and the cover is a bit different too. But damn, what a film this is. The Detective i a dark, gritty noir-thriler with an exciting plot and great acting, especially from Aaron Kwok. It kinda reminds me of films like Memories of Murder, Se7en and Blood Simple, though not as good as any of these. The ending is a bit to clearing, though. It just tells us way too much, as if we're stupid or something. But other than that it's damn good.

The Pill - Mediocre romantic comedy that fails because of its poor, unlikeable characters. It's hilarious at times, and charming other times, but there's always these shitty characters around. A cheater, and liar and a bitch. That's the three main characters. That's the main problem with the film. Shame, but a good start anyway.

Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis is the debut film of Juno Mak, and a really impressive one as well. The film is a homage to the jiangshi-genre, and especially Mr. Vampire, that took Hong Kong by storm in the 80's. The jiangshi genre is a mixture of horror, kung fu and comedy, and even though this film lacks the humor, you can stell feel the classic jiangshi in it, and it has several actors from mr. Vampire. But this isn't a copy of the more known films of the genre or anything like that. This feels unique.

Rigor Mortis is a unique film with great acting, a good plot and visuals. It uses lots of CGI, but in a very good way. And they turn it into their advantage, unlike most films that relies heavily on CGI.

Rigor Mortis is, with no doubt whatsoever, one of the best films from 2013. Superb!

The Red Shoes - A nice, little adation of Hans Christian Andersens's The Red Shoes. 27 minutes long, and the style used is fantastic. Enjoyable stuff.

Last movie I saw is The Amazing Spider-man 2, I have also played and beat the game as well.

My opinion of the movie, it's great, it has more then one villain instead of Electro. Comparing the game, it has few more villains for Spidey to fight. The game is completely different, I'll say it is just a spin-off. Overall, the movie is awesome, the improvement of the Spider suit, now that my friend is the suit I am talking about, the one that is exactly looks like from the comic.

I went and saw how to train your dragon 2.

CRIED THRU MOST OF IT BECAUSE IM A LITTLE BABY.

and then we snuck into maleficent afterwards and I have to say I thought it was really good.

a lot of my friends were saying it blew horribly. But maybe I'm biased because I really really loved Diaval.

Watched X-Men: Days of Future Past last weekend, and to be honest I liked First Class way more. [best thing about the movie was quicksilver.]

I WANNA SEE THIS SO FUCKING BAD. I BURN FOR XMEN OH GOOOOD.

I WANNA SEE THIS SO FUCKING BAD. I BURN FOR XMEN OH GOOOOD.

not to be all evan peters biased... BUT QUICKSILVER IS ONE OF THE BEST REASONS TO THIS THIS MOVIE IDC.

Just watched "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" the other day.  Pretty good!  I think Chris Pine is one the best younger actors in a while.  Star Trek was awesome, I still need to see the second one.

not to be all evan peters biased... BUT QUICKSILVER IS ONE OF THE BEST REASONS TO THIS THIS MOVIE IDC.

Evan Peters is a hottie hot hot. So i feel you. but from what I have seen of the movie he was pretty great, so im psyched. I might go see it next week 8D

Mr. Vampire - After watching the fantastic Rigor Mortis I decided it was about time I watched as many Mr. Vampire films as I could find, as I never got around to watch more than the first (or two first). Despite Encounters of the Spooky Kind status as a cult classic, Mr. Vampire is the film that popularized the jiangshi-genre in the mid 80's. It's a very nice mixture of atmospheric horror, awesome kung-fu and hilarious comedy, and despite this mix it never feels forced or anything like that. Another thing that makes this such a pleasure for us westernes is how unique it is, relying upon Chinese folklore which makes the monsters in these films look both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

Mr. Vampire is a true classic and must-see for anyone who conceder themself a horror, kung-fu or comedy fan. This is how good this film is.

Kill, Baby... Kill - This Mario Bava classic is often regarded his best, and whie I do disagree with that, it's a close to perfect film for sure. Great, atmospheric gothic horror with more or less everything a gothic horror film should have. Brilliant cinematography, great setting, fantastic plot and great acting. This is, hands down, just another proof that Mario Bava should be ranked up there with the best of the best directors ever.

Seven Psychopaths - Interesting & fun lil' movie, maybe dragged on for a bit too long but it has some really funny shit (kinda Tarantinoesque dialogues) plus Tom Waits with a bunny in it, so... it was alright.

I thought Seven Psychopaths was fantastic. Not as good as In Bruges by the same man, Martin McDonagh, but very good. Both Martin, and his brother, John Michael, are two of the more promising directors out there in 2014.

Really looking forward to John Michael's Calvary which comes this year, and he's got several projects running as well, and I am really hoping for The Bonnot Gang to be his next thing. He once described it as a a cross between The Wild Bunch and Le Samourai. Jesus, that sounds good. But I wouldn't mind War on Everyone either, a crime film I think. These two men, man. Argh, yes!

If you like one you'e almost certain to like the other. In Bruges is a bit more serious, darker and less over the top, but it nails almost everything pitch perfect to be honest. It's a modern classic. 9/10

Evan Peters is a hottie hot hot. So i feel you. but from what I have seen of the movie he was pretty great, so im psyched. I might go see it next week 8D

do it !

also today I saw a movie called that awkward moment, but I wasn't really paying attention, so i'd have to say Gremlins was the most recent one I watched for the first time. Yes. Barely.

A Clockwork Orange - I really liked the book, so I tried the movie adaption for a 2nd time (first time I didn't rly go too far in). It wasn't too bad but the book is infinitely more enjoyable and exciting. The film somehow felt stilted and boring at points. Malcolm McDowell as Alex was pretty cool tho. The eerie soundtrack was sweet too.