Open Club  ·  4 members

Jazz Club
colorful人生

Jazz Recommendations Thread

I finally had to make this, since I'm completely immersed in new releases atm.

I'm more familiarized w/ contemporary Smooth Jazz artists than I am with Jazz ones, but I've been picking up new releases this year that have been fantastic. 

Here are some favorites from this year (included in my 2018 list I'll put out mid-year):

Submotion Orchestra - Kites

This is absolutely AOTY for me. It's so dynamic in every way and is, sonically, an absolute treat. 

Spoiler

GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star

Incorporates elements of electronica, trip hop, and classical jazz to pull together a lovely, atmospheric album.

Spoiler

Park Jiha - Communion

The fusion of contemporary jazz and Korean traditional instruments is really otherworldly. In some ways it could be considered an acquired taste.

Spoiler

Dr. Lonnie Smith - All In My Mind

You can't forget the fantastic Dr. Lonnie Smith. This live album is an adventure between smooth and sensual to driving and dynamic.

Spoiler

-

Also, somewhat unrelated (I have to post this performance whenever I can b/c Cory Henry and Jacob Collier in the same room):

Edited by colorfuljinsei

I really enjoy mouse on the keys, they're pretty good. The drummer and one of the keyboardists were previously on nine days wonder, an amazing indie/punk band.

Spoiler