Sign in to follow this  
violetchain

Next Music from TOKYO vol 10 (Canada)

http://www.nextmusicfromtokyo.com/

Line-up: The Taupe, Yukueshirezutsurezure, Hyacca, Bakyun the everyday, Yubisaki Nohaku

Dates:

May 19 Toronto @ The Rivoli
May 20 Toronto @ Lee's Palace
May 22 Montreal @ Divan Orange
May 24 Vancouver @ Biltmore Cabaret

Is anyone going to NMFT 10? I've gone to all of them since vol. 5 and it's become a bit of a tradition for my friends and I - especially because it's so cheap - but I'm not sure I'm feeling it this year.

Just now, emmny said:

when will steve or whomever bring novembers im WAITINGGGGG

I remember he mentioned THE NOVEMBERS as an option once or twice, since their label apparently offered him the chance to bring them the year after Kinoko Teikoku, but it didn't seem like he was terribly excited about them. I don't know if he still has the connection now that they're not on UK Project anymore.

You can always suggest them whenever he makes one of those posts asking for input, though.

5 hours ago, violetchain said:

I remember he mentioned THE NOVEMBERS as an option once or twice, since their label apparently offered him the chance to bring them the year after Kinoko Teikoku, but it didn't seem like he was terribly excited about them. I don't know if he still has the connection now that they're not on UK Project anymore.

You can always suggest them whenever he makes one of those posts asking for input, though.

i asked him to his face in 2015/2016 idr when and he seemed interested, idk. i was under the impression he couldn't because of label stuff and thats why he brings uber indie bands but hey who knows. i thought he'd be a fan actually, interesting to hear

i hope he brings more hxc/skramz bands as he usually stays around "safe" subgenres (from what i've seen on lineups) but eitherway im so happy that what he does is based in canada....even if i haven't been able to attend yet ;_;

i cant believe there's been 10 editions already, i remember when this stuff just started off and how i thought it was literally the coolest shit

still waiting for some rich dad in europe to do something similar lmao

2 hours ago, emmny said:

i asked him to his face in 2015/2016 idr when and he seemed interested, idk. i was under the impression he couldn't because of label stuff and thats why he brings uber indie bands but hey who knows. i thought he'd be a fan actually, interesting to hear

i hope he brings more hxc/skramz bands as he usually stays around "safe" subgenres (from what i've seen on lineups) but eitherway im so happy that what he does is based in canada....even if i haven't been able to attend yet ;_;

Oh, I see. You probably know better than me then, because I've never spoken to him. I'm just going from a vague memory of what I've read on the NMFT blog.

He definitely mentioned them as an option, so I assume he likes them well enough, but the thing that makes me feel like he's not super into them is that he always seems to just kind of throw them in as a last resort. For example, he mentioned them as an option for NMFT 9: http://www.nextmusicfromtokyo.com/?p=6168, but it just seems like he was saying "Well, I can get them, but I'd rather have Ame no Parade, or any other band on this list"

He brought Kinoko Teikoku, who were on the same label as THE NOVEMBERS at the time, so I don't think the label is the issue. He also wrote that he held two NMFT events in one year mainly so he could bring Maison Book Girl before their major debut, so I feel like if he really wanted to bring them he would make it happen, you know?

Regardless, I think it's actually more fun if you don't know anything about the bands before you go, because the acts he brings are usually much better live than the recordings suggest. otori didn't sound like the type of thing I would be into at all from the samples on the website, but they killed it.

Sign in to follow this