Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bacon

東京ヒーローズ (Tokyo Heroes)

As I saw in my christmas bag thread, this band has a lot more fans than I expected, so gather round boys & girls!

80018715.png
(LtR) Vo Masashi, Dr Masayoshi, Gu&Vo Rinda, Ba&Vo Gokimi)
?

The band started activities in early 2004 under the name ヒーローズ(Heroes), consisting of Hachirou(Vo), Rinda(Guj), Gokimi(Ba) and Masayoshi(Dr). In June of that year they changed their name to ??京ヒーローズ(Tokyo Heroes) and released their first single, 「サブリミナル??(Subliminal), after which vocalist Hachirou left the band.

After a short break, the band reformed, now with Rinda on vocals, and Iwan(gu) joined the band. They released a mini-album, 「忘????????(Boukyaku no Kane), in 2005, followed by several singles. In 2007, after the release of single 「四音??(Shion), Rinda(vo/gu) left the band. He was soon replaced by Masashi(vo), while drummer Masayoshi took over the main songwriting, but after releasing a single titled 「光射ス希望ノ場所??(Hikari Sasu Kibou no Basho), at the end of the year the band disbanded, releasing a DVD documenting their career from 2004 to 2007.

After this vocalist Masashi and bassist Gokimi formed the band?WORLDisMINE, while Gokimi also joinedグルグル映畫館?as support bassist. Iwan became support guitarist for?人格ラヂオ, known under the name of John. Rinda and Masayoshi did some support and session acts.

At the end of 2008 the band held two revival lives, the second being commemorated with the release of 「漆黒??(Shikkoku). At the start of 2009 the band officially reformed. The line-up of the revival lives and the reformation was the same as before their break-up, but previous vocalist Rinda rejoined the band on guitar.

In 2010 the band released their new single 「末路??(Matsuro). After that came 「Twinkle?? in June, of which the title track featured Rinda on co-lead vocals for the first time since 2007. The single also includes a new version of former staple song “妄想幸??主義??, this time sung by Masashi.

In 2011 the band will release a single with only reworked songs, 「冬唄??(Fuyuuta) from their first mini-album being the title song, this time with vocals by Masashi. A new version of previous single “漆黒?? and an acoustic version of “生命無キ???? are also included.

On March 20th, it was announced that guitarist Iwan would be leaving the band in April due to musical differences. The band then continued as a 4-piece band again. Iwan briefjly rejoined?人格ラヂオ?as John, but left that band as well to join?Sel’m?as lead guitarist.
After Iwan’s departure, the band changed its name to TOKYO HEROES.

In July, their new single 「memories?? was released(but only at lives), featuring a new version of their old song “6月??雨??. In January of 2012, their new live-sold single 「人??????????。??(Hitochigaideshita) was released. It was also announced that previous guitarist Iwan has joined?Sel’m.

In July the band released their second mini-album, 「??新者??(Kakushinsha). The band also released 2 PVs for songs from the CD.
In early 2013, the band finally released their first album. It was a live album however, and released only at live shows, but contains songs from the band’s entire catalogue. After that, the band released another live-limited single, 「大人????????(Otonagokko).

————————Music————————
The band is seen as part of the angura kei movement in Japan. The band’s music can be classified as a mix of progressive rock, punk and grunge.

During the band’s early years, vocalist/guitarist Rinda wrote the majority of the band’s music. After his departure in 2007 drummer Masayoshi took over this role, but all other members also composed songs. Since Rinda rejoined the band in 2008, he and Masayoshi have both composed most of the band’s new music.

The lyrics for the band’s first single were written by then-vocalist Hachirou, but since his departure bassist Gokimi has written most of the band’s lyrics. Recently vocalist Masashi has also started writing more lyrics. Gokimi, who is also the band’s leader, also provides occasional co-lead vocals. In the band’s early years he also provided most harmony vocals, but Rinda has been the regular backing vocalist since he rejoined.

The band is also know for their large number of live distributed CDs, such as 「胸??ゴキゴキ??(Mune ga Goki Goki), which are greater in number than the band’s official releases.
————————Discography————————
:::1st line-up(????ロウ?as vocalist):::
サブリミナル (Subliminal) | 2004.06.18

:::2nd line-up(リンダ?as vocalist):::
ラボ/アナザアフェイス (Rabo/Another face) | 2004.10.28
忘?????? (Boukyaku no kane) | 2005.05.10
涙枯レ桜咲ク (Namida kare sakura saku) | 2006.04.28
絶望記念日 (Zetsubou kinenbi) | 2006.09.09
四音 (Shion) | 2007.03.14

:::3rd line-up (雅岠as vocalist):::
光射ス希望ノ場所 (Hikari sasu kibou no basho) | 2007.08.28

:::4th line-up (5-piece band):::
漆黒 (Shikkoku) | 2008.11.22
クロイムレ (Kuroimure) | 2009.06.20
末路 (Matsuro) | 2010.01.06
twinkle | 2010.06.30
冬唄 (Fuyu Uta) | 2011.01.19

:::current line-up:::
memories | 2011.07.31
人??????????。 (Hitochigai Deshita.) | 2012.01.10
??新者 (Kakushinsha) | 2012.07.25
英雄中毒-ライブベストセレクション- (Heroes Chuudoku -Live Best Selection-) | 2013.01.18
大人?????? (Otonagokko) | 2013.06.13
????日????ラブレター (Ano Hi e no Love Letter) | 2013.08.17

So, let's talk about dem Heroes.
They're one of my favourite bands. Linda is one of my fave vocalists and it took me a while to get used to Masashi, but he's pretty awesome too.
My favourite release would be Shion and my favourite song Zetsubou Kinenbi, but Sakura Sai comes close too.

I guess they could be very famous in scene but since

The band is also know for their large number of live distributed CDs such as 「胸??ゴキゴキ??.

its kinda hard :)

I for myself couldnt get into their older stuff somehow but i really like the recent singles. Their guitar work and overall sound is amazing. Just the vocalist sounds nothing special to me, even if hes very talented it seems.

Well they've released 5 regular singles and a mini-album, and a few live-sold singles that are semi-rarez. Most of their live-dist stuff isn't serious anyway.

I liked their older stuff better because of Linda's vocals, but I agree that their guitarwork has improved since Masashi joined.

Hoping for that too. They're totally able to make one.

And yea Zetsubou Kinenbi is great. Iwan's solo is amazing and I love the vocals, even Gokimi's part in the chorus.

I've been a long time fan of these guys. But does anyone know what happened to Ivan? He was my favorite member :(

please, somebody help! Where I can download this?

忘却の鐘 (Boukyaku no kane) | 2005.05.10

涙枯レ桜咲ク (Namida kare sakura saku) | 2006.04.28

Yes you do haha!

I wasn't too impressed with their previous single but I'm confident they'll make quality music again.

I do think they should get a second (lead) guitarist again. I mean Rinda is a great composer, good (backing) vocalist, but only a decent guitarist. The new songs miss those awesome solos Iwan used to pull.

I thought the previous single was just a tad bit boring, but good nonetheless. 

I do believe they'll make great music again, just like they used too. Especially since Amano has passed away.

Hopefully Gokimi will have the urge to create awesome music again with heroes because of it. It seems Gokimi is trying his best.

Adding on to the whole Rinda thing.. I agree. Rinda is a pretty solid guitarist, but I think adding another guitarist to the the group will do them some good. Not that he's unskilled or anything.

No he's not at all unskilled, his solos have improved so much since he stopped being the vocalist. But Iwan was just in a completely different league, so yea.

Yea, they have to haha. They're one of the few bands left in the scene. And they've been at it for almost 10 years as well! And well yea but it's Rinda and Masayoshi who write the music, so it's up to them haha! I do think Gokimi is the leader though, so I get where you're coming from.

I  get that. Some of the solos i've heard Iwan play, are just flawless. And even then, that's an understatement. I still quite adore Rinda's guitar work, either way. 

Rinda and Masayoshi are great composers. I think they just need a little more motivation, for lack of a better word haha

Yea I know what you mean. Rinda's riffs are pretty cool, and I though his solo in Memories was actually really good. But if you listen to Iwan in Zetsubou Kinenbi or Fuyuuta... that's just unbeatable. 

But it's also apparent on the re-recordings. I mean, Rinda transforms the solos into something less technical but still cool and fitting, but they're just not on the same levels as the older solos.

And I get that, it's become a bit stale. I would like them to do some more heavy angura stuff, or more like Humanity. They never did a song like that again but I loved it.

Iwans riffs in Zetsubou Kinenbi are just flawless. I felt like Iwan really got to show off his skills in that piece. He would've been much better off in Heroes, than in Jinkaku Radio. Don't get me wrong, Jinkaku radio is great too, but i felt his guitar work was a tad bland, while he was with them. Rinda is trying his best, and it's paying off. And although Rinda is great at what he does, Iwans solos keep continuing to take my breath away.

I'd love for them to do more heavier releases like they used too, but I still quite adore the newer releases as well. They just don't have that 'spark' they used too hahav

You did know that Iwan's now in Sel'm right? He was only briefly in Jinkaku Radio after leaving Tokyo Heroes. He still does his awesome guitar stuff...but I'd rather have him in Tokyo Heroes haha. And yea in Jinkaku Radio he was just a support member so I don't think he had much input on the riffs or anything haha.

Yea I know what you mean. Though they're still better than most VK bands overall!

I knew he was only in JinRa for a short time...but I didn't know he went on to Sel'm. I haven't really kept my eye on him as of late haha I'll have to check them out now :D 

Also, I agree. Heroes has got to be one of the best visual kei bands left out of all these pseudo-vkei boy bands popping up everywhere haha

Sign in to follow this