CAT5

Things you never (or seldom) hear in Japanese music

Japanese reggeaton?

Oh god no. Someone shoot me if this actually exists.

it is. My post before you is one example.

But i won't kill jah. Ya Man! :P

niw, not that I listen to Gospel, but I don't know a lot of christian bands from Japan. But then again, the Christian community in Japan is also pretty low...

Oh right

"Christian rock"

I don't know any Japanese Christ rock, thank God. Or xxjesusxcorexx or whatever they call it these days.

If you have iTunes, there is a radio streaming station called "JRadio.Net" that's entirely filled with Japanese CCM. Most of it is just gospel-style music, English hymns sung in Japanese, and very mellow adult contemporary/acoustic stuff like mainstream CCM in America. Nothing really exciting.

^ There's tons of Japanese reggae and dub out there...
Links pl0x? c:

Ok. I'm not a reggae-head or anything' date=' so there's a lot of stuff out there that I don't listen to, but here's some of the Japanese reggae/dub stuff that I do have in my collection:

BAGDAD CAFE THE trench town

[youtube']EBJqyEK0Imw

9miles

ioOBrUT2Pd8

Likkle Mai

HQ6q4x9iMdQ

Echo Mountain

S50g2-U6ULU

icchie

eetlp-ug7Cc

E.D.O.ECHO SOUNDSYSTEM

3uWd4r6g-pE

microshot

cTCF-ITdoMM

Reggae Disco Rockers

XmR2rE6zBQY

SHOPLIFTER

Fd-BWWSrKos

TUFF SESSION

HYoJqOhg4es

BOWLING NO.9 ----> (I FUCKING LOVE THEIR VOCALIST!)

Yp64H3B0ZAk

THE HEAVYMANNERS

dc011Y6r6ro

YOSSY LITTLE NOISE WEAVER

bu0efl22sgI

RATVILLE

YTUcz_abx9M

??ら??????決??られ????人??????

HfOxaw0ekME

minjah

Nzni_bLHZ3U

MISON-B (BEHOLD! JAPANESE REGGAETON! XD)

FvB9MvYzYpU

泰山??????

JF7vNYgXZD4

CHIYORI (so good!)

PtGBONC8i84

カルカヤマコト

jL8qejY968k

MACHACO

xiMmoBPyOCM

MIFFER (MORE JAPANESE REGGAETON XD)

hpvWu_Q2qhM

LiZZ

4tf2wKLzOEU

pasadena

AwLDfldU_3Q

...I was just listing stuff in my collection, so of course there's a lot more out there~

^ There's tons of Japanese reggae and dub out there...
Links pl0x? c:

Ok. I'm not a reggae-head or anything' date=' so there's a lot of stuff out there that I don't listen to, but here's some of the Japanese reggae/dub stuff that I do have in my collection:[/quote']

I think we should also add

, Pushim,
and Audio Active to the list - not to mention, that Audio Active's 'Spaced Dolls' is one of my favourite japanese album.

I can't seem to find many recent Japanese bands that have been influenced by the post-punk movement. There was a huge revival in the 00s in the west, but almost non-existent in Japan. I think the only band I know of is "Lillies and Remains" and I don't think they're that great.

They are probably hidden away in indies land..

plasticzooms, munimuni

just for starters

true post-punk stuff is kinda hard to get by, lotsa new wave tho.

They are probably hidden away in indies land..

Mostly, and obscure.

But bands I know of that are influenced by the post-punk movement... aside from PLASTICZOOMS and Lillies and Remains, there's debatably Psysalia Psysalis Psyche, Pills Empire, Buffalo'3, JACK OR JIVE (often Cocteau Twins vs. Dead Can Dance-esque), 百蚊, GHEEE (I think are especially good), in the clockworks... Hm. Most of them can be found on YouTube.

CAT5 could probably give you a better list, I'm assuming. :)

I know of Plasticzooms as well. I dunno.. its hard to describe what I mean because post-punk is a very broad genre. But darker music, with heavy use of bass and occasional synthesizers.

How deep? The lady in my icon has some rock-based songs and her vocals (especially live) are quite deep, so it can't be too rare considering she's popular, can it?

pDEPEexLbBQ

I know something!

Beautiful, deep female vocals are rare as HELL in Japan. Like for Rock that is.

I guess I'll go with Satoko from me-al art here too...her voice is deeper than your average JP female, though it's still not the deepest around. Her voice does have an amazing amount of power and heft to it, though - attributes you don't often find in Japanese female rock vocalists.

I think you'll find deeper female voices outside of rock, though. A few that come to mind are UA, Mika Nakashima, Tomoko Nagashima (Orange Pekoe), Yoshie Nakano (Ego-Wrappin'), Kazuho Oogiya, Uri Nakayama....coincidentally, all of these women make or have at least dabbled in jazz music. xD

I cannot believe there is Japanese reggaeton. This thread has blown my mind. :DUUR:

Anyway, just a couple to add to the reggae list: FISHMANS and Dogggystyle

r4Cd3orPocg

QHepoB_hJI4

Japanese drum and bass. I know that Makoto is a good drum and bass DJ, and that Cycheouts Ghost (Vikalpa, Sim Stim tracks for example) plus Masirano have some d'n'b-influenced tracks, but that's all. Oh, and I remember, that there was a complication, named Future Sound of Tokyo, but that's pretty much all I the artists which come into my mind.

^ good one. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Japanese D&B acts. Himuro Yoshiteru has some D&B flavored tracks, but his style is pretty abstract overall.