Valicious

Workout and Win 2.0: now in the best shape of its life

GqbfoGJ.png

We all see fashions and styles that we would love to have ourselves, but style can come with considerable work sometimes.  The goal of this thread is to promote exercise, getting in shape, constructive feedback, and provided the motivation needed to achieve the healthy look you’ve been wanting.
Did I mention you can win free VK stuff?  Because you totally can.   :wan-45:

Prizes donated by RarezHut.  Visit them by clicking on the banner below.  Also check out their thread in The Monochrome Heaven Market

We are the largest internationally-based store for used Japanese Rock and visual kei music. We have been working hard to deliver a store to meet the needs of the international visual kei and Jrock community, offering a wide selection of products at a very low prices.

09BTPD7.png

FbGLExb.png

Make a post with your fitness goal and where you are now.  Pictures of what you are shooting for can help others visualize what you want.  (Pictures of yourself are completely optional)
Post updates!  What have you been doing for your workouts?  Have you noticed any positive changes since you’ve started?  Everyone who posts at least one update each week will get one entry into a drawing at the end of the month.  More details on the drawing and prize below.
Want a second entry each week into the monthly prize drawing?  Those who provide regular constructive feedback for others will receive another entry into the monthly contest.  Feedback should be polite, but it should also be critical.  Feedback that only consists of “Great job!” doesn’t really contribute much, suggestions for improvement and areas to work on are examples of great feedback.
Lastly, we are using a bit of an honor system here.  If you didn’t do a workout, don’t post and say that you did.  We’re all trying to improve and support each other, let’s keep things positive.

Now for the part we’ve been waiting for.  

GVQf02M.png

A winner will be randomly chosen at the end of each month using a random number generator.  Once chosen, I’ll look at the last.fm or any wanted list they have to determine which prize they get.

*congratulations to allisapp for winning for March*

April's Giveaway entries

Week 1 1st - 7th

Week 2 8th - 14th

Week 3 15th - 21st

Week 4 22nd - 231sth

---------

I've tried several different workout trackers and logs in the past, but my favorite by far is Fitocracy.  It has hundreds of exercises in its database, so adding them is a breeze.  The biggest feature (and my favorite) is that is makes working out into a game.  You log your workouts, get points, level up, complete quests such as running or biking a certain distance, and it's all free.  There's the social aspect too.  You can join groups, friend other Fitocrats, and even challenge others to duels.  There's an optional paid membership called "Hero mode" and individual coaching, but the free features are still more than amazing
https://www.fitocracy.com/

Our very own MH group on Fitocracy
https://www.fitocracy.com/group/19063/?about

I'm starting to exercise more and more every day, and I'm using this thread to help motivate me.  Biopanda has been exercising with me too!  I just hope others will join us in the thread,

I've managed to steadily increase the number of sets of the various exercises I do in my wheelchair, along with the 'frog kicks' I do while lying down on the floor.

My routine is specific since I can't do regular exercises

(video is from a few years ago when I was in A LOT better shape, but I still do the same routine)

50 or each exersise in the chair comprises one set.  So far my best is 3 sets of 50.  (I used to be able to do 6 sets, working back up to that.

The 'frog kicks' and 'leg sweeps' you see while I'm on the ground are currently at 5 sets of 50 and 2 sets of 50 respectively.  (I used to be able to do 2 sets of 250 frog kicks and 2 sets of 100 of leg sweeps)

My main goal for now is to build back some of my muscle.  Muscle strength is more important than weight loss to me right now.

I really just want to have a flat stomach again, which is tough since my abs are seriously weakened by my Charcot Marie Tooth.  I did it before though, and I WILL KICK THIS DISABILITY'S ASS

So what workouts is everyone else doing?

I was part of the previous thread :) just as a heads up, if you're trying to build strength you need to reduce the reps waaaaay down otherwise you're merely doing cardio. If you can add weight to your exercises then this will help build strength. In general -

3-6 reps for strength

8-12 reps for hypertrophy

15+ reps for endurance

:3

I was part of the previous thread :) just as a heads up, if you're trying to build strength you need to reduce the reps waaaaay down otherwise you're merely doing cardio. If you can add weight to your exercises then this will help build strength. In general -

3-6 reps for strength

8-12 reps for hypertrophy

15+ reps for endurance

:3

I've tried adding weights to my routine before, to varying success.  The best method for me, judging from past experience, is to build up endurance, get to 6 reps of 50, then add small weights once the 6x50 reps becomes no longer challenging.  My muscles might be different in the fact that too much weight makes it so I can't move at all.  Gravity seems to be acting as enough of a weight right now, and my first step is to make it si gravity offers negligible resistence.

All that being said, I'll see if I can find the resistance bands I have around here....somewhere.

Welcome to the new thread nullmoon!

I've tried adding weights to my routine before, to varying success. The best method for me, judging from past experience, is to build up endurance, get to 6 reps of 50, then add small weights once the 6x50 reps becomes no longer challenging. My muscles might be different in the fact that too much weight makes it so I can't move at all. Gravity seems to be acting as enough of a weight right now, and my first step is to make it si gravity offers negligible resistence.

All that being said, I'll see if I can find the resistance bands I have around here....somewhere.

Welcome to the new thread nullmoon!

Fair enough! The beauty of workouts is that they are different for everyone :)

Reading this thread got me inspirated to go for a walk! :D We will see... Sadly I have a schedule problem today, so probably not happening 8<

If you're ever even standing in place (in the kitchen maybe) you could job in place.  When sitting, you could do legs raises (similar to those in my video).  Tightening your stomach muscles and holding them that way for 5-10 seconds is about equivalent to a crunch, so you could do that too!

I run 1 hour 3-4 days a week. gibe me free vk plx.

nah jk. im too lazy to document my training, but going vegetarian/vegan has had a great output on my weight loss. not that i was overweight to begin with, but it still feels nice. 

How long are your runs?  Do you find that running outside/on a trail is easier to keep going and push yourself than on something like a treadmill?  I'd imagine it would be, but I have no experience.

Running is definitely more motivational outside. I've done two half marathons now...I wouldn't ever steam of running 13.1 miles on a treadmill. They're so boring and just don't feel the same. I think the changing terrain and environment during an outdoor run is what makes it so much better :)

I've found that keeping a log of your activities and progress really helps with motivation.  Check out the website Fitocracy that I linked in the OP.  It's really great for tracking your progress, and gives you quests and experience based on your workouts.

I've found it to be an incredible motivator for me.  Join our Monochrome Heaven group and get fit with us!

I started to fall back into my rut again over the past week, but I managed to pull myself back up today before it got too bad.  I plan on doing weekly updates, but I'll just summarize this month in this post.

Feb. 2nd -

1x set of 50 of my chair exercise routine  (closest "normal" exercises would be 50x Chest Flys, 50x Seated Good         Mornings, 50x Seated Side Lateral Raises, 40x Russian Twists)

Feb 3rd -

3x set of 50 of my chair exercise routine

1x set of 250 frog kicks (I lie on my back and kick my legs out 250 times on each leg.)

2x set of 50 Seated Hip Abduction

Feb 4th -

1x set of 50 of my chair exercises

1x set of 250 frog kicks

(Fell into a lull and didn't exercise)

Feb 19th -

1x set of 250 frog kicks

I'm currently working with a Push/Pull split twice a week (so 4 days with weights) coupled with 2 days of yoga. My hamstrings and hips are ridiculously tight.

After one session of yoga I could touch my toes for like the first time ever! Flexibility is key to me because I want to be able to do proper back squats instead of half-reps. It's definitely working because the DOMS in my quads this week after each push session has been unreal!

Currently I can bench more than I can squat so I REALLY need to sort this out. My legs are embarrassingly weak compared to my upper body!

For scope, at the moment I'm benching 50kg for 4 sets of 8 (I can do 60kg for 3 reps so I assume my 1 rep max is around 65kg?). My back squat (past parallel) is 45kg for 4 sets of 5. With that said, I'm increasing weight in each session by 2.5kg so soon I should be able to surpass my benching level :)

So! In terms of my aims, I want-

-stronger legs (both quads and hamstrings)

-slightly less child-like calves

-bigger/rounder shoulders

-stronger biceps (I haven't really focused on these ever)

-stronger core muscles

-more flexibility

Aside from that, I'm pretty happy! My chest, triceps, and back are pretty well defined. My girlfriend likes my butt too, so I guess I also have that covered XD

Sorry for the long post! Just thought I'd share some stuffs!

hmm i started going to the gym two weeks ago.

idk if i should document it

You should definitely document it so you can mark down your progress. It's great to see improvement over time. I use an app called FitNotes which is super easy to use :)

I started to fall back into my rut again over the past week, but I managed to pull myself back up today before it got too bad. I plan on doing weekly updates, but I'll just summarize this month in this post.

Feb. 2nd -

1x set of 50 of my chair exercise routine (closest "normal" exercises would be 50x Chest Flys, 50x Seated Good Mornings, 50x Seated Side Lateral Raises, 40x Russian Twists)

Feb 3rd -

3x set of 50 of my chair exercise routine

1x set of 250 frog kicks (I lie on my back and kick my legs out 250 times on each leg.)

Feb 4th -

1x set of 50 of my chair exercises

1x set of 250 frog kicks

(Fell into a lull and didn't exercise)

Feb 19th -

1x set of 250 frog kicks

Kudos on coming back from the brink! It's really tough on your willpower after having time off. I did really well last year up until December when I got a bit ill and then a bunch of other minor things got in the way until now. Keep it up!

You guys should really join Fitocracy.  I have a Monochrome Heaven fitness group all set up, and we can have group-wide challenges.  Earn points from your exercise, level up, complete quests, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe the winner of the group challenges will get an extra sumthin sumthin'...

You guys should really join Fitocracy. I have a Monochrome Heaven fitness group all set up, and we can have group-wide challenges. Earn points from your exercise, level up, complete quests, and maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe the winner of the group challenges will get an extra sumthin sumthin'...

I would but marking my progress is distracting as it is XD losin dem gainz wen i go on mi fone ye?

Forgot to mention, i managed to do a 40kg overhead press for 3 reps the other day. Not a fat lot compared to other people, but it's been my aim for a while to reach that weight. If anyone wants beefy anterior deltoids, overhead pressing is beeeeeeeast!

I'm sorry I haven't been posting in this thread as much as I should.  The past few weeks have been crazy busy with  RarezHut launching the new RarezHut Exchange program, and I've been perpetually under the weather.

TIME FOR FEBRUARY'S DRAWING!

Week 1 1st - 7th

1  nullmoon  (advice)

1  allisapp  (content)

1 Uglymouth (content)

Week 2 8th - 14th

Week 3 15th - 21st

2 nullmoon (conent, advice)

Week 4 22nd - 29th

Total

1 entry for allisapp

1 entry for uglymouth

3 entries for nullmoon

and the winner is....

nullmoon

I'll be sending you a PM with details to get you your free CD.

Let's work hard in March to improve ourselves, and help others to improve as well.

Currently trying to push towards a 100kg deadlift. I'm 10st which works out to around 70kg. In my last session I managed 80kg for 4 sets of 5 reps which is pretty sweet. I can pick up something heavier than me, yay!

I'm also trying to bring up my rear delts as they're virtually non-existent XD

Just found out that I'll be flying to Washington in early April to meet with hiring managers at Microsoft for an Ability Summit.  (they're looking to hire folks with disabilities)

I'm resolved to get into shape big time before then.  First impressions are big ones.  Physical fitness and weight shouldn't matter for a job interview in an ideal world, but this isn't an ideal world.

This thread is a big help to get me back on the exercise wagon once I've fallen off.

March 20th - 
    1x set of 250 frog kicks
    1x set of 50 Seated Hip Abduction