Sign in to follow this  
sebbivism

DIR EN GREY to release new single "LOTUS"

No doubt, amazing news itself, but honestly... I just can hope it won't be next ordinary song with Engrish screams and all this common stuff... I'd like something new, some progress... but what could I demand from Kyo and rest?

No doubt, amazing news itself, but honestly... I just can hope it won't be next ordinary song with Engrish screams and all this common stuff... I'd like something new, some progress... but what could I demand from Kyo and rest?

Because progress is constantly missing from Dir en Grey's work. :roll:

Because progress is constantly missing from Dir en Grey's work. :roll:

EXACTLY what I was going to say.

prog·ress   

[n. prog-res, -ruhs or, especially Brit., proh-gres; v. pruh-gres] Show IPA

–noun

a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.

developmental activity in science, technology, etc., esp. with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.

advancement in general.

growth or development; continuous improvement: He shows progress in his muscular coordination.

the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.

Biology . increasing differentiation and perfection in the course of ontogeny or phylogeny.

forward or onward movement: the progress of the planets.

the forward course of action, events, time, etc.

an official journey or tour, as by a sovereign or dignitary.

–verb (used without object) pro·gress

to go forward or onward in space or time: The wagon train progressed through the valley. As the play progressed, the leading man grew more inaudible.

to grow or develop, as in complexity, scope, or severity; advance: Are you progressing in your piano studies? The disease progressed slowly.

The definitions that apply are in bold.

prog·ress   

[n. prog-res, -ruhs or, especially Brit., proh-gres; v. pruh-gres] Show IPA

–noun

a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage: the progress of a student toward a degree.

developmental activity in science, technology, etc., esp. with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created.

advancement in general.

growth or development; continuous improvement: He shows progress in his muscular coordination.

the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level.

Biology . increasing differentiation and perfection in the course of ontogeny or phylogeny.

forward or onward movement: the progress of the planets.

the forward course of action, events, time, etc.

an official journey or tour, as by a sovereign or dignitary.

–verb (used without object) pro·gress

to go forward or onward in space or time: The wagon train progressed through the valley. As the play progressed, the leading man grew more inaudible.

to grow or develop, as in complexity, scope, or severity; advance: Are you progressing in your piano studies? The disease progressed slowly.

The definitions that apply are in bold.

I appreciate your literal humor, but what I meant was what do you personally want to see from Dir en greythat in your mind would equal them progressing.

You can't say that they lack a progression and then not have an idea of what you want to see them do.

For example, I firmly believe that from Withering to Death to Marrow of a Bone was a regression in that WTD had a variety of heavier songs mixed with some ballads, but MOAB was just a heavy metal screamfest, but then from MOAB to URO was an extreme PROgression in that the music to me was sophistocated and elegant at parts what dark and heavy at others. What I would like to see is more UROBOROS-y songs, amient and emotional.

I wasn't saying they lack progression. I was saying they constantly progress. I disagree with your opinion that Marrow of the Bone is them regressing. I see Marrow of the Bone as them completely shedding the whole "Visual Kei" thing because they saw how bands are in the states. (If you haven't noticed Visual Kei bands are completely different from ALL other kinds of bands in the ways that they are produced, managed, etc.) Marrow of the Bone was just Dir en Grey taking the freedom they wanted and running with it. Just because the album doesn't have as many ballads as Withering to Death doesn't make it regressive at all. I think Dir en Grey had a lot of anger to release in that album which is why it's so intense. A lot of Diru fans are just pussies who can't handle that intensity. Dir en Grey shed the make up and the image they had had for a long time and a lot of fans couldn't take the intensity with out the pretty boys dancing around all the gore. Those very same fans consider everything after Vulgar to be a regression JUST because of that. Dir en Grey matured and started taking music seriously which is why UROBOROS is the masterpiece it is.

IMO, just b/c a fan thinks that Marrow of a Bone wasn't as good as their other albums, doesn't make them a pussy that can't handle brutal music. MOTB wasn't that great of an album b/c the songs didn't stick as much and I felt like I've heard it all before b/c I do live in America. I feel like them just making a copy of American music is a sign of regression in itself. Perhaps progression from a VK style, but definitely a regression in overall musical quality. When they made UROBOROS, I believe they made progress b/c they merged their unique musical style with an American sound thus making something progressive. And since, they've been riding high with their releases...

As for the question asked by Shaneth which you ignored ...I personally would like to see them try to take on a more traditional Japanese sound kind of like Kagrra, and mix it with their more brutal style they've come to now.

IMO, just b/c a fan thinks that Marrow of a Bone wasn't as good as their other albums, doesn't make them a pussy that can't handle brutal music. MOTB wasn't that great of an album b/c the songs didn't stick as much and I felt like I've heard it all before b/c I do live in America. I feel like them just making a copy of American music is a sign of regression in itself. Perhaps progression from a VK style, but definitely a regression in overall musical quality. When they made UROBOROS, I believe they made progress b/c they merged their unique musical style with an American sound thus making something progressive. And since, they've been riding high with their releases...

b/c b/c b/c b/c b////c wt a wondrfl wizard of oz he ws

or, about his recent shopping spree for washing machine :P

NO ONE WANTS THE DRYER!!!!

I almost pee'd myself from the lulz, srsly

:lol:

LOL.jpg

btw, traditional sounds mix with brutal sounds confuse me. do you mean MACABRE and KISOU?

*checks the title of this thread* Yup yup, Dir En Grey related. :oshi:

As of now your arguments are fine but anyone whose been around long enough knows that soon shit's going to hit the fan. I'm just asking you all to please not let it get to that, the last thing we need is yet another several page long bitch/flamefest over them. Just sayin' it now.

As for the question asked by Shaneth which you ignored ...I personally would like to see them try to take on a more traditional Japanese sound kind of like Kagrra, and mix it with their more brutal style they've come to now.

Oh yeah let's rag on them for having an "American-music-styled" album. Ahahaha right. Give me a break. I live in America too and I don't see it as a "copy of American music" at all. I haven't heard anything that sounds like Marrow of the Bone. Maybe the songs didn't stick with you enough because you were too busy worrying about them having an "American sound." Marrow of the Bone still has Dir en Grey's style no matter what you say because it's Dir en Grey. Of course there are American influences since they had been touring with American bands. They were inspired by the music and the influence is completely obvious but it doesn't muffle Dir en Grey in the slightest. Probably the only song that is "American-music-styled" is Agitated Screams of Maggots, which is the only song by them I don't like. Just because they used what they learned while touring with other musicians doesn't make their music regressive. To me they would have been regressing if they kept on going the way they were. Marrow of the Bone fits right in after Withering To Death and I believe that Marrow of the Bone makes UROBOROS just seem that much more amazing and UROBOROS would never have happened with out what they did on Marrow of the Bone. The only complaint I really have is Kyo's barely understandable English. Saying they regressed because they used their American influences is RIDICULOUS and petty. And if it sounds like music you've heard before then try thinking about what it sounds like to the Japanese. Probably rather fresh and interesting. There are other Japanese bands that sound more American than Dir en Grey did on Marrow of the Bone. Look at Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. *Shudders.*

And I didn't answer Shaneth's question because I don't see the point in it. It doesn't matter what I want to see them do, they are going to do what they are going to do. It's not like my opinion or anyones' opinion is gonna make them go "Oh hey! Let's be more Japanesey like Kaggra,! Yeah! Let's do things like Kaggra,!" (That's just an example. I don't like Kaggra, because their music is boring and un-interesting to me.) I just want them to make the music they are going to make and if I like it, I'll like it. If not? Oh well. No big deal it's just a band. And personally I don't see how the "traditional Japanese + American metal" thing is a fail-safe formula for epic music. Seriously. Traditional is boring. Let's see them do something new and fresh.

[EDIT]

*checks the title of this thread* Yup yup, Dir En Grey related. :oshi:

As of now your arguments are fine but anyone whose been around long enough knows that soon shit's going to hit the fan. I'm just asking you all to please not let it get to that, the last thing we need is yet another several page long bitch/flamefest over them. Just sayin' it now.

This is an argument? D: I thought we were having a serious discussion about a band...

@Maiku Oops, sorry, I guess I mistook your sarcasm or something... this is just type so it's harder to differentiate, plus I'm already shitty at it. I really didn't mean to make it into an argument for some people to choose sides over, lol. I totally agree that we were just having a serious discussion about a band and I hate that people think it's an argument sometimes, lol.

BUT ANYWAY, BACK TO THE DISCUSSION. I do feel that MOAB WAS a but of a regression only in that the variety expressed on WTD and URO was lost on MOAB but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. I bought it on the day of it's release, listened to it 4800 times, and am still in love with it to this day, it's just a different kind of love I have for it is all. In the vein of it being a Deg album, I just didn't feel as though it compared, but in the American underground hard rock scene, It really shone above others. In fact, one of my best friends doesn't care for JRock at all, BUT MOAB was the album that got her to become a fan of Deg and thusly give her an appreciation for the same music I do. So, in that respect, I have to appreciate MOAB haha.

Also, Agitated Screams of Maggots is FUCKING SICK

Ahahaha yeah sarcasm is a bit more ambiguous in text but that's why I threw in the eye roll emoticon. xD

And I think people mistake large blocks of text for angry rants. xD

But yeah! The discussion (that's really fun!) I think Marrow of a Bone has plenty of variety. The underlying rage just makes it hard to differentiate. xD

I only like Agitated Screams of Maggots live. xD

I didn't say you guys were arguing. I said "your arguments", as in points of discussion.

ar·gu·ment

   /ˈɑrgyəmənt/ Show Spelled[ahr-gyuh-muhnt] Show IPA

–noun

an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.2.

a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.

a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.

a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.

an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.

subject matter; theme: The central argument of his paper was presented clearly.

an abstract or summary of the major points in a work of prose or poetry, or of sections of such a work.

Mathematics .

a.

an independent variable of a function.

b.

Also called amplitude. the angle made by a given vector with the reference axis.

c.

the angle corresponding to a point representing a given complex number in polar coordinates. Compare principal argument.

Computers . a variable in a program, to which a value will be assigned when the program is run: often given in parentheses following a function name and used to calculate the function.

Obsolete .

a.

evidence or proof.

b.

a matter of contention.

=P

I also said they were fine and not to let it get to an area where it would no longer be fine. That was all.