CAT5

MH FEATURED POLL #36: How many unopened CDs/DVDs do you have?

MH POLL OF THE WEEK #35  

70 members have voted

1. 1. How many unopened CDs/DVDs do you have?

• All of them! I pretty much never open them.
    • Just one or two...
    • About 20 or more
    • None
    • CD collection? I download everything!

I think I have one or two, I'm not sure. Reasons for it are: 1) I'm lazy 2) I no longer have space in the thing I use to keep CDs (or they don't fit it) and I have to leave them around somewhere and I fear they'll be scratched or get too dusty or dirty, so I don't open them.

None actually. Only reason for me to keep them sealed would be autographs or something like that.

I got some Gazette / Lycaon ones unopened, because I started to collect CD's, but already had the mp3 on my laptop.
New CD's are always opened, because I wait until my copy arrives before listening to the music. :)

None.

I need to open my cd's for : make my own rip the way I want it / take a look at the artworks / put it in my car (since the player doesn't take USB and only accept original copies).

When I've got stuff signed (which is rare : iirc i only got 3 signed albums, and tbh I really don't give a shit about that), it's already on the front case because I've came with my own copy (or the digipack) or inside the booklet.

None.

The only reason I can think of to keep unopened copies is for higher resale value. (or maybe some kind of weird OCD collection)

I'm way too lazy to resell anything.

I'm taking my collection to my grave.

You can have my visual kei if you pry it from my cold dead hands.

etc. etc.

None, I open all my CD's... is what I was about to type... I think I own a copy of NEGA's deluge... but.. which type I do not recall, got it with that UC goodie bag before they closed down.

Need to go open that right away, or this will bother me to no end.

I love reading through the booklets, reading the lyrics and admire the artwork, but mostly the 'special thanks' section, there's usually a few surprises there.

I'm the type of person who attacks Christmas wrapping like a cat to a scratch post. So no, I don't have any unopened releases.
For the most part, most of my CDs are not even in their cases since I've managed to fit them all into my CD wallets. 

I digress... 

While stuff like this is really subjective, I personally find it wishful thinking to expect (most) CDs to drastically increase in value later in life (with the sole purpose of reselling).

CDs are what I foresee to be the last physical medium that'll exist for music before we go completely digital (viability of storing lossless files w/ inc. storage), and currently they're everywhere. 

Vinyl has had it's appeal with analog sound reproduction and "aesthetic", but other than live-limited/rare releases/flat-transfers I can't find the collectibility of "run-of the mill" CDs aside 

from a personal-collection standpoint.

However, the art and booklets (+ obis) could be valuable themselves (?), and CDs have a drastically longer life span than the cassette keeping them "functional"... *rant* *rant* *rant*.

Who knows, lol. I could be very wrong. I'm not entirely versed with CD collecting, so I apologize if I come off as ignorant on the subject.

[if there's any expansion on this topic for any reason, I wouldn't do it here. Maybe a separate thread could be made (or it already exists).]