Sign in to follow this  
BrenGun

[SOLVED] Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10

Definitely no.

Win 10 violates privacy. Stay at 7, it is still suported.

>Win 10 violates privacy

Paranoia :D

>I still use Windows 7. and I wonder if I should take that free upgrade to windows 10?

No, too many bugs and defects.

Alright thanks!~

I upgraded and after that I did a fresh install. IMO besides directx12 and a few minor things (like cortana, if that's your thing, or changes in the UI) there's nothing that really stands out to make it much different from W7. You can pretty much disable everything that is related to your privacy if you feel like windows is collecting too much data on what you are doing so no problem there. Some say it runs better on older PCs than W7, so if that's your case it might be worth a try since you can downgrade back to 7 if you don't like it. Also there are no bugs or such worth mentioning, works just fine, of course it might not be perfect but 7 isn't either so given a few more months it should become a lot more stable. Personally I like it, but I just upgraded for the sake of doing so.

IMO, sooner or later all the Windows users will be forced to use Windows 10 once the older versions are deprecated anyway.

If Windows 7 works just fine; perhaps, you don't need to switch over to Windows 10 unless you want to try out something new.

I personally haven't tried Windows 10 yet, but as being said, it violates the user's privacy although it's probably not a big deal to most users (I assume the data is encrypted and anonymous).

Whether you like it or not, if you can't ditch Windows, one day you'll inevitably have to switch to a newer version anyway.

I'm a Linux user and prefer open source OSes in terms of security, but I'm not against Windows as I don't see any OSes can be its replacement.

I still use Windows for trivial things from time to time. I'll certainly be using Windows 10 as well, but not in the near future.

Definitely no.

Win 10 violates privacy. Stay at 7, it is still suported.

The tracking is on Windows 7 and 8 too. Ubuntu has it's own form of tracking and analytics in the "smart scopes" feature too. Sites like Google and Facebook do nothing but track people and build profiles about them and then sell that information to other third parties. You don't really have privacy anymore. So unless you want to run a variant of Ubuntu or some more esoteric Linux flavor then you'll just have to live with some form of user tracking. At least you can turn it off and I definitely recommend that you do.

Having said that I like it.  It's smooth and logical unlike the usability nightmare that was Windows 8. There are still some problems and certain programs don't work right (or at all) but nothing too major. If you basically use your computer for gaming / Facebook / Twitter / MH / Tumblr and some light word processing than Windows 10 should be good enough. If there are programs that you must have working always then don't upgrade.

If you decide to upgrade, Google some directions for pages that will tell you how to configure Windows 10 to track you less. Also turn off Cortana and completely remove her from the system. I'm not even paranoid about tracking but this thing turns on your camera to learn your behaviors, eats up all your processing power (i have an i5 4690k processor and 16 gigs of ram and she brought my computer to a halt) and indexes your hard drive to know what you use often to serve it up faster. It will lead to better tech in the future but I think its creepy.

What windows seven and eight dont do is "data mine" (which windows 10 does) that's big issue that peoiple have witrh the whole privacy debacle.

and also I would not recommend upgrading to windows 10 if your primary use for your computer is gaming, I've heard quite a few horror strories of people having tremendous issues with crashing and other stuff.

What windows seven and eight dont do is "data mine" (which windows 10 does) that's big issue that peoiple have witrh the whole privacy debacle.

and also I would not recommend upgrading to windows 10 if your primary use for your computer is gaming, I've heard quite a few horror strories of people having tremendous issues with crashing and other stuff.

I only hope that all my data will be saved if I switch to windows 10.

Maybe I should ask a near ICT friend for advice.

You can disable everything and it won't track a single thing, why do people keep saying it like you don't have a choice? If you are too lazy to click on some options then you deserve to be tracked by microsoft (I'm not talking about you, just in general). Now if we believe in conspiracy theories there might still be some hidden code that will observe your habits. Also, while I do not use my PC exclusively for gaming I do play a fair amount of games, mostly recent ones and free to play like LoL and CS, and nothing has ever crashed. The more you read around the more negative things you'll find so no point in doing it, it's better to just try it yourself, it will take you 30 minutes to install it and eventually downgrade to 7 if you don't like it. You won't lose any files or programs during the upgrade and if you chose to go back to 7 everything will be exactly as it was prior to the upgrade.

I've looked into Windows 10 a bit recently since I'm getting a new computer (my old one won't let me upgrade to it even though I have Windows 7) and on top of the various privacy issues and general invasiveness I've read about, it seems like there are a lot of bugs that came from them releasing it in such a hurry. I don't really want to be their beta tester, I'd rather have something stable even if I have to pay for it. So even though it looks like it'll be a lot easier to use than Windows 8, I personally think it's safer to stay away lol.

You can disable everything and it won't track a single thing, why do people keep saying it like you don't have a choice? If you are too lazy to click on some options then you deserve to be tracked by microsoft (I'm not talking about you, just in general). Now if we believe in conspiracy theories there might still be some hidden code that will observe your habits. Also, while I do not use my PC exclusively for gaming I do play a fair amount of games, mostly recent ones and free to play like LoL and CS, and nothing has ever crashed. The more you read around the more negative things you'll find so no point in doing it, it's better to just try it yourself, it will take you 30 minutes to install it and eventually downgrade to 7 if you don't like it. You won't lose any files or programs during the upgrade and if you chose to go back to 7 everything will be exactly as it was prior to the upgrade.

Actually it's not as easy as "click on some options". Yes you can tuirn off some of it by doing the aforementioned process but not all of it, to completely remove all the privacy stuff including the data mining you have to delve deep into the cmd prompt and mess with and edit certain files, which to the uninnitiated  is probably imposible or not recommended. Now I've heard recently that there are now programs that people have made that can do all this "leghwork" for you, but I've never used one and thus can't say how effective they are. Regardless the point isn't that you can just diable these options if you dont want to be spied on but the fact that mircrosoft has started mining our data, something they prieviously did not do in other iterations of there OS (or at least not on the scale they are now) and the cherry on top is that we have to jump thgrough hoops to disable all of it completely if we dont want our privacy impeded.

Also just a tidbit of info on the upgrading question. I would recommend backing up all the stuff you dont want to lose and just do a fresh install of windows 10 (format the drive). From my experience on my laptop when I upgraded without doing a clean install, I was having a lot of performance issues and later oin had even more "weird" things happening like random crashing of programs. Since doing a fresh install and formating my HDD it hass been running a lot more smoothly and I haven't witnessed any strange happenings.

Actually it's not as easy as "click on some options". Yes you can tuirn off some of it by doing the aforementioned process but not all of it, to completely remove all the privacy stuff including the data mining you have to delve deep into the cmd prompt and mess with and edit certain files, which to the uninnitiated  is probably imposible or not recommended. Now I've heard recently that there are now programs that people have made that can do all this "leghwork" for you, but I've never used one and thus can't say how effective they are. Regardless the point isn't that you can just diable these options if you dont want to be spied on but the fact that mircrosoft has started mining our data, something they prieviously did not do in other iterations of there OS (or at least not on the scale they are now) and the cherry on top is that we have to jump thgrough hoops to disable all of it completely if we dont want our privacy impeded.

Also just a tidbit of info on the upgrading question. I would recommend backing up all the stuff you dont want to lose and just do a fresh install of windows 10 (format the drive). From my experience on my laptop when I upgraded without doing a clean install, I was having a lot of performance issues and later oin had even more "weird" things happening like random crashing of programs. Since doing a fresh install and formating my HDD it hass been running a lot more smoothly and I haven't witnessed any strange happenings.

Well if you want to disable absolutely everything (like removing the pre-installed apps and such) you'll need more knowledge than the average windows user has but I doubt those users even care, it's always the more expert ones that are going to worry about privacy issues. I mean look at people sharing their lifes on every social network, do you think they even consider these things? Not to mention that just being connected to the internet implies a certain degree of tracking which you can hardly escape from. Google is doing it, facebook is doing, and so are many others, it was only a matter of time before microsoft joined the club. While I do not approve of their new ways at least I can disable most of these settings from the OS itself and rest by editing the registry. Granted it may not be an easy process to do so but if you value your privacy you're gonna learn how to do it. Personally I hate those who bitch about this situation but then facebook and twitter know the exact time when he's using the toilet.... Unfortunately the future is bleak, if you're a windows user sooner or later you're gonna have to upgrade and what's in store is already known, you either deal with it, stay on 7 forever or completely change OS. I highly doubt they are going to give up on spying on users, it's how they make money.