tetsu_sama69

In need of advice/help *URGENT*

So recently I've had some difficulties like most people do when they decide to live on their own. At first everything was fine and after some struggle I managed to get the utilities in my own name after getting some help with them. But still even after getting all my bills squared away I somehow got behind and was having too many problems. So my answer to this was to get a roommate after the issues I had with having someone living with me before I was pretty hesitant but dove into it anyways.

I got a good friend from work to move in and things were going very smoothly until I had some health problems. I had to get a surgery done (don't worry, I'm just fine) and it would put me behind but since she was moving in she said it would be okay and she would help me get by. Then when it came to time for me to start getting the money help she suddenly had a bad speeding ticket and car payments. Since I don't own a car myself and rely on public transit I don't have an issue with payments for a car but knowing people who have tackled them no problems and with lots of problems I know how it can be a problem sometimes. So I asked her if anything if she could get 100 and she said she could but then when the weekend rolled around and it was rent payment time she did not deliver and hadn't been staying at my place and just leaving her things there. On top of that having to borrow money from a friend just to pay for food because she wasn't paying me.

I told her since she couldn't help me and left me to tackle everything as I recovered from a surgery that she had to go. I couldn't deal with what was going on with myself at the time and have someone staying with me who wasn't intending to pay for at least a couple weeks. So she moved on and it wasn't any drama or issues. So instead I had someone else move in yet again even though I was still having a bad taste in my mouth I needed the help gravely. Now this time everything was good, she was starting to pay but I was still behind because of paying for my surgery.

But then this last weekend rolled around the complex informed me if I didn't have a certain amount they weren't going to work with me anymore and I understand where they are coming from as a business and a rental company. I'm a fairly nice person as well. I don't have a lot of rules either. Just pay my rent, don't make a lot of noise when I'm sleeping as I'm a light sleeper and work 38+ a week, and don't turn my apartment into a fucking icebox since we live in Arizona and the summer cooling bills can be murder. She followed these rules well until this weekend rolled around. I had managed to scrounge up what money I could from my family and close friends as this would get me caught up and I was making payments for the money I owed them. I told her as long as I get her 100 we would be caught up and I wouldn't need anything from her until the end of the month.

She assured me it wouldn't be a problem over the course of the weekend until this morning when I asked her if she had dropped off the check in the office drop-box so things would be fine. She said no and that she had to make a payment on her car insurance which just happened to be the amount I needed for the rent. This is after also avoiding me most of the weekend because she had personal matters going on and that I understand as well. 

I'm at a really tense moment right now. I had to call for some more money help and I had to spend all my money on rent so I have no food or bus money to get around for the week while she went on a date with her boyfriend and got herself things to eat. I told her she didn't have to move out if she was going to be able to at least pay me the 100 this following weekend that things weren't going to work out. Instead of apologizing to me and admitting that she lied to get me off her back she is deciding to just move out. I'm a fair person and would be willing to work with her but after all of this the last thing I want to consider is having yet another person move in and get fucked over again.

Now I'm at an impasse. I have no money for food, no bus money, and to make up for rent I have to pay 200 from each of my paychecks until the end of the month leaving little yet again for food and bus money to get to work. I'm quite unsure what to do. I know there are places to pick up food boxes but I have no transportation to those places since I don't have a car or public transit. If there is any advice or help I can get I would really appreciate it since I have no idea what I'm going to do to make it.

Any and all room-mates should be introduced to the land-owner, and should sign on to the lease. Even if the lease is not up, an additional party can be added on, taking away responsibility from you.

You can also write up your own contract with terms stating that without prior notice each month must be paid by your room-mate, and they must give a 30-day notice when they are moving out.

I am not sure about the jurisdiction you are in, but in many places, a tenant can not be kicked out of a premise until at least 3 months in a row have not been paid in rent. There are laws everywhere to protect residents, so look them up in your own area and don't let land-owners put pressure on you.

For public transport make sure you are taking advantage of any rebates, such as buying monthly passes instead of weekly or daily, student pricing if applicable, and declaring ut on your taxes.

For food make sure you are keeping on a tight budget, and paying as little as possible to meet your caloric requirements (nutrients secondary). So ramen, rice, cheap protein source, etc...

If need be also look into any kind of part-time job or supplementary income flows, even if it is a one night a week gig being a floater or washing dishes.

Your health issue should also provide you with leeway legally in terms of your rent.

If you are really desperate consider government assistance in the form of funds, I don't know much about this but it may take a while to receive your first payment however.

Those are just some tips, but anyway, I think mostly time and finding a real room-mate will be your savior. Put up ads on craigslist or whatever sites, and maybe even nearby bus stops. Your best bet is a student from another country, they are usually well kept, mind their business, and have parents paying for them so no money issues. In terms of tenants they are ususlly the best to have and what many duplex or condo owners accept right away.

Good luck.

Edit:

Your room-mates screwed you over, no need to sympathize with them, they are adults and are solely responsible with the fact that they left you high and dry while not even being upfront about it.

For future room-mates, screen them, don't just accept whoever, see a couple at least, pick the best one, ask for first and last month's rent up front. Get a reference from them, even if it is their parent, then you have their parent's number if anything. Google them, etc... Gotta do what you gotta do. 'Friends' can be the most likely ones to screw you over since they think they can get away with it.

1) ask for an advance at your workplace - just try and see if they allow that

2) increase or double your workload - best advice IMO if your 38+ hr work doesn't cover your rent and living expenses and you really want to live in a complex.

3) move out and rent a room - this is honestly how you should've started out, not in a complex. Save up, get better work then move to a complex.

4) invest in a bike - this should be a cheap option for transport, if you don't mind the work out and travel light to work.

5) simplify your meals -  if you don't do this already, avoid eating out and focus on simple meals at home. When I was living on my own with a FT job, I was eating like 1-2 times a day. I got skinny and lost plenty of muscle by the end of my term but it isn't like I died. 

others:

get a loan - terrible choice, last resort

sell some stuff - if you have rarez or whatever has substantial value, sell em now

also you are a bit too lenient, a tenant should not be allowed to just walk out. Either demand a "last month rent" upfront (before letting them live with you) or a 2-week notice upfront (she pays half a months rent for the last month but you get a half-month rent upfront).

Great advice :) She did give me money up front to move in but not being able to pay is what got me in the snag. Work doesn't allow advances and I get paid enough to pay for this place the problem was the surgery that made me get behind in the first place. Being alive was a bit more important on the scales. I do usually keep it pretty cheap when it comes to food for myself. I can make 20 last a couple weeks if need be with some creativity. 

I've had really bad experiences with roommates in the past from craigslist and going there again makes me really hesitant. This whole problem was rolled up when it came to my surgery. I got some help paying for it but I had to take care of it. Yeah, I had given her the option to be added on the lease but she was hesitant and got added as a resident instead of something more permanent until we could catch up and move into a two bedroom, oh well on that one, huh. 

I wish I had some stuff to sell for money but I don't. I lost all of my collection due to stupidity so I don't have much of value besides my computer and my personal belongings (clothes and things of that sort). 

Yeah, I know my leniency is what got me into this in the first place with my last couple roommates. I just have a really bad anxiety disorder and confrontation is the last thing I can do without breaking down and I'm already at that point because of this crap out of nowhere, especially twice. When I do buckle down on people and tell them to pay me rent they just break down and run off. Maybe it's a generational thing. My past couple roommates have been much younger than me and maybe they just don't understand the concept of consequences. 

Honestly, I just have a sinking feeling her parents have been up her ass and she wanted a reason to have to go back home that wasn't entirely willing on her end. She has a lot of domestic issues and it's a big part of the reason she moved in with me for the relaxed environment. Now as far as I'm concerned if she wants to go back so badly and leave me with this crap, I won't be sympathetic even when I do have a need for help myself. Maybe that's the wrong thing to say...

I'm sorry , this sounds terrible!
I am not exactly the epitome of a functioning adult, but I can try to give you some advice.
There should be laws protecting tenants, here it can be a bit tricky since a lot of people do it over the counter and rarely sign a lease. If your documentation's alright you should be able to stay in your place even with a little delay in payment\9 by no means exceeding 3 months). Getting a good flatmate is really hard, the only roommate I had was when I lived abroad, but - it's different in school (mine wasn't too nice). 

Don't trust random people, especially when it can lead you to a not so pleasant financial state. 

When it comes to payment I tend to give myself a ''safety belt'' - the best thing is to have both tenants legally responsible, but in case you really can't do that, ask for the rent at least two weeks before it's due. This way you can avoid being put in a bad spot. 
Food...I kind of disagree with surviving on the cheapest possible, because it can sometimes cause you health problems. However...in case you have a really tight budget, you can go by it for a limited time. Don't waste water and electricity/power. If you really need money asap and you don't want to bother your parents, you can put some items on ebay for example. It's hard to part with a favourite CD, but food is kind of important as well.
I hope you resolve your issue, at the moment I can't imagine not spending my parents' money...and that is terrifying. O.O