Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

#50: 道化ノ華 by アルルカン

MH Featured Review....yeah just go ahead and vote already...  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is ����� one of the top indie visual kei bands active at the moment?

• Of course! Their album was awesome, this is awesome, the next thing will be awesome. Believe it.
    • Top 10-15 definitely. I thought this single was decent to great.
    • They're somewhere in the middle. Too inconsistent for my likings.
    • I'm not convinced yet. They play around with a lot of ideas but the results are empty.
    • I don't get the hype. Band sounds terrible.

alt_title
Artist: アルルカン (Arlequin)
Single: 道化ノ華 (Douke no Hana)
1. 道化ノ華 (Douke no Hana)
2. 身を知る雨 (Mi wo Shiru Ame)
3. 人形-ヒトガタ- (Hitogata)

Rating: :_7/10_: | A perfect example of when reversing the track list would have had much better results.

アルルカン is that band with promise and growing pains. If they haven't already, they are on the verge of becoming one of the next top indie bands of the scene. What keeps them from becoming a serious force is their inconsistency: their choices from composing music to presenting it aren't always the greatest. This is what kept their first full-length album "ニア・イコール" from being anything more than a fun, but ultimately shallow debut release. This single continues right along in that vein with some good ideas, some bad ideas, and ultimately a feeling that the single wasn't as satisfying as one had hoped.

This issue would go away if the track list was reversed. As the most dull song of the batch, I do not think "道化ノ華" makes for a good single. The intro is deceiving, bursting forth with aggressive chugging and their trademark electronic influences, only to melt away into a melodic chorus that tapers off as the song progresses. The metalcore and rock sections don't gel as well as they do on some other songs, but it is passable. Vocalist 暁-aki- dominates the majority of the song with a vocal melody that doesn't reach it's climax and has about as much impact as a BB gun: you'll remember it, but you won't catch yourself humming it anytime soon.

alt_title

This is a problem because 暁-aki- is the centerpiece of the band. He's the one with the sweeping melodies and when he's on fire, the songs feel much more alive. To an extent, this holds back the next track "身を知る雨" as well. Contemplative piano keys give way to their trademark electronic chugging souffle which actually makes a nice atmosphere, but another uninspiring chorus and a misplaced breakdown halfway through the song moves the song into a direction it doesn't quite recover from. The chorus is at least better this time around and the breakdown isn't bad enough to ruin the whole song. It deserves a listen or two but it's not their Sunday best.

The oddball of the single, "人形-ヒトガタ-", has all the elements which go into making an effective title track. But much like their last single, Dilemma, the best track lacks the attention it deserves. Similar to "imp", this should be the single. It is here where アルルカン finds their groove with melodic, catchy riffs and a chorus guaranteed to get stuck in your head. While the previous two tracks were a mixed bag of good and bad ideas, this track isn't. The build-up to the chorus features the type of growth I was expecting and the chorus is killer. It's no coincidence that the best track of the single is the one where 暁-aki- puts the most energy into singing.

I took a long break from this band after their disappointing debut but I'm pleased to find that this band isn't completely out of ideas yet. アルルカン needs a lot of help in understanding where the music they play and the way we perceive it intersect. This band would have much more effective singles if they focused on catchy, energetic rock or aggressive metalcore and less on power ballads with riffs that vaguely resemble Versailles' "zombie". If the track list were reversed, and "人形-ヒトガタ-" placed first and "道化ノ華" placed last, this would have easily gotten a whole star higher. It would have also signaled good things about their next full album.

It's not as awesome as 墓穴, but it will do.

Support the band!

Purchase Type A

Purchase Type B

This single, along with the previous one, reinvigorated my interest in them. What a nice plethora of tunes! I like the slight variety they seem to be slowly developing, not just having the same ol' copy-paste fast-blandcore-with-melodic-chorus things. I approve! My rating would be pretty much the same too.

Didn't expect to love that PV song as much as I do - there's something really Pierrot/Kirito about his melody and vocal style, if it didn't have that brief break with the terrible vocal effects at 2:50, it would be one of the best VK songs I've heard this year. Gonna give the rest of the single a try. 

Sign in to follow this