Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw9

Best new releases: May 2015

In the eternal words of the @Bear:

The concept is simple: pick 3 releases (albums, EPs, singles or compilations), write why you like the album/why people should check it out and be cool. As you hear new albums of the month feel free to quote yourself, remove one and add the newest one instead of it. At the end of the month I'll make a new thread for the previous month. That's all.

Rules:
Post three albums each
Add a linke to your favourite track of the album. Do NOT embed youtube videos. Just link to the best song. Not everyone have decent computers to handle all the videos.

And that is basically it. Ask if there's something you're curious about.

There weren't many standout albums for me in May but anyway, here are my top picks:

II+METZ.jpg

METZ - II / Dirty, noisy alternative rock with a biting acidic edge. There's nothing more to say really. If you liked this, check out their first album too, also good. Perfect to let off some steam.

Definite+Structures+high_functioning_fle

High-Functioning Flesh - Definite Structures / Sounds and feels like a kickass synthy industrial/EBM record from the early '90s that you can just dance to and feel good/bad/sad/whatever you like. Just great.

Narin+Yalnzlk+1625624_10153314592564222_

She Past Away - Narin Yalnızlık / The Turkish princes of goth are back! Floaty synths, twinkly guitars, minimalistic arrangements and deep deep vocals make this a record just as good as their debut. I approve.

Absolute YES to that METZ record, great noisy stuff.

That Turkish post-punk band seems intriguing, i should look into more of their music...

^ Glad you dig METZ! A friend of mine recommended them to me, never heard of them before. Cool stuff.

If you're into this style, another amazing album (that was released back in March but I only recently discovered it):

http://superluxury.bandcamp.com/album/ten-solid-years-of-applause

And you can't really go wrong with She Past Away, both of their albums are practically the same quality.

Ooooh, Super Luxury sound good too. I love that chaotic/crunchy noise rock stuff.

It's a pity that there don't seem to be all that many Japanese bands with this particular type of sound (or at least I can't think of many from the top of my head)

I went ahead and added the tag 'best new releases' to this series for easier access.

Onto my pick...s (finally). Album wise, it's been hard throughout the whole year. I'll dig a number of tracks from a release, but won't fully love it as a whole. So I have only a couple I can safely name throughout the months. As for May, it's only one album release at the moment for this month that I adore thoroughly.

Chanty - Chantyの世界へようこそ

dakmnpk-3.jpg

These guys are surprisingly varied, there's something for most to enjoy in this even if you prefer a different kind of VK style. I hadn't given them a listen until I tried out one of their singles before this, followed on to this album. Just really digging it at the moment. I'm sure most know about them so I won't go on. I just really want to encourage more to give this one a try, I don't usually adore a VK release as much as this.

Apart from enjoying mainly singles this month (which is hella surprising if you know me lol), Chanty's album is the only one which I completely enjoyed.

I'll edit this once I decided on a second and third place. xD Very sorry for my one spot. ^^;;

I've bearly heard any albums this month, but I've heard at least two:

513817.jpg

Abigor - Supreme Immortal Art (Instrumental 1997)

The demo recording of Abigor's 1998 classic Supreme Immortal Art. There's no synth, it's unmixed and sadly has no vocals. I'd love forit to have vocals, but even without it it's supreme. Just listen to the opening track of this demo and the original and you'll hear a massive difference. The original starts off in a monsterous, grandeour way, while this starts off with a vicious killer-riff that'll smash your ugly fucking face and leave you for dead. Unlike the original release you can clearly hear what the guitar does, and even more importantly, you can hear the bass lines. Bass has never been an important part of this band at all. The first few albums featured bass, but it's mixed so low you can't even hear it for most part. The original release of Supreme Immortal Art, as long as several other albums frmo that point on has, as far as I know, no bass whatsoever, but this demo recoding does, and the bass sounds amazing. The bass lines are among the coolest I've ever heard. Crazy good.

Enjoy!

SatansWrath.jpg

Satan's Wrath - Die Evil

I've been very disappointed by the direction these guys have taken since their debut album. The debut album, to me at least, is more death metal-inspired. It sounds like more like early Possessed meets early Slayer, or just Iron Maiden anno 1981 gone death metal. However, they've gone in a blacker road since then, and this album is more in the vein of Desaster meets Venom. It's good and catchy, and it'll make you move a leg or two throughout the album, but still a bit disappointing.

Satanic War!

That's it for now. I'll check if I've heard one more alum from may. Can't think of any right now at least.

I think I actually have 3 this month so yay! :D

244b1x4.jpg

Florence + The Machine  - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

It's splitting hairs to say if this album was released at the ass end of May or the first of June, but official first release was in May so I'm including it. :D This album is interesting because it's not as singalong catchy as Lungs, not quite as bold as Ceremonials, but somewhere in between with hints of 80s pop rhythms that give the atmosphere a surreal, dreamlike quality. HBHBHB has some quite gorgeous work, especially in the ballads, that cut to the core. So far the band has promoted the songs "What Kind of Man", "Ship to Wreck", "St Jude", and the title track "How Big How Blue How Beautiful". So I'm not going to bother upping a song because these are all wonderful representations of the album on their own. Every release I hear from this band makes me a little more obsessed with them!

1441k5v.jpg

theCharmPark - Rebirth & Reverse

I've become a huge fan of Charm since he's released his solo work (those who follow Best New Tracks have probably seen his name pop up more than once). While half of this album has already been released previously as singles, the album still found a way to feel fresh. 1 part lullaby, 1 part electropop, one part rock, the album has a wide spread of genres that all compliment each other and seamlessly blur the lines of the tracklist. No songs feel abrupt in their transitions or forced to stop and change gears at any point. Again, about half of this album is already up on youtube, so to save some time, I'll choose the tracks "リバース (Ribasu)", "Holding Hands", my personal favorite "Ribirudo" to suggest.

4tlsw9.jpg

Emery - You Were Never Alone

The situation seemed pretty dire 2 years ago when Emery parted ways with their label and opened a campain on indiegogo to help produce this album. And while the album took a little longer than expected, the band made good on their promise with, arguably, their best work yet -- certainly their best selling so far. The "Bad Christian" post-hardcore group proved that with some loyal fans, some selective touring, a well timed album leak, and a ton of youtube videos, they never needed that stinkin' record label after all. And when I say "a ton" I mean it, easily 2/3rds of the album got youtube content to push the release.... so here's a few of my favorites, "thrash", "the beginning", and "rock pebble stone".

Sign in to follow this