Sign in to follow this  
Trombe

V.A. cover album "CRUSH!-90′s V-Rock best hit cover songs-"

BUCK-TICK was the first visual kei band who played in Tokyo Dome (1989), and filled up.

The scene isn't that small at all, i think they are a successful indie scene, more than the japanese indie rock - take a look at the charts...

The only thing that X Japan has really done was "make it ok to be metal" in Japan. They were far from the first japanese metal band, but they were the first to reach such a wide audience that metal then became an accepted sound and genre in Japan, before it never caught on and was extremely unpopular.

Omg, you now nothing, years before, Rainbow, Purple, Malsteem, Kiss, etc, they were HELL OF famous there, and they are 'harder' than X. Search for the firsts bootlegs of the 70's of those bands, Mr. Big, and all those divine groups, you'll learn something. There's a Cafe in Tokyo named 'Ritchie Blackmore' or 'The Highway Star', and it was in the 70's.

oh hey look, you named all western bands. imagine that!

what you're mistaking, is that there's a HUGE difference between western music (and western metal) and japanese music (metal) in regards to its relation with japanese audiences. Japan loves western music, everything that comes from the west, they devour. western metal bands were huge inspiration in japan, yes, this is not news, every western band is, but what about japanese bands? almost no recognition was really paid to them AT ALL even in Japan. Metal was something that came from the west, not from Japan. The thought of such was baffling. But then X Japan came along.

So no, I do know a lot. It's you who are sadly incredibly ignorant on the subject.

BUCK-TICK was the first visual kei band who played in Tokyo Dome (1989), and filled up.

The scene isn't that small at all, i think they are a successful indie scene, more than the japanese indie rock - take a look at the charts...

japanese indie rock is more popular in the states than in Japan (i.e. OGRE YOU ASSHOLE, Boris, etc.) so that doesn't surprise me at all.

I really feel like a lot of people mistake the size of the VK scene. From what I have seen though there are a lot of bands, sub-divisions, labels, etc. It's on a really small scale (in terms of the size of venues bands play) etc.

I really feel like a lot of people mistake the size of the VK scene.

oh indeed! I think it's largely due to the rabid, online gaijin VK fandom. It's pretty easy to get a distorted view of the scene when all of your info comes from obsessed, overly romantic foreigners that deny the existence of anything outside of VK.

xD yeah!

I get that feeling in most Jrock communities as well. I mean, this community is made up of probably 99.9% VK fans, and to have a community like this all talking about VK, people have been to VK shows, etc. it may give some the impression that the scene is so big! It's much like how a lot of people think a band like the GazettE would be HUGE in the states, according to whom? The 50 people that inhabit the several gazette LJ communities? lol

And I think we're being waaaay out of topic. I wish there were some kind of previews for this V.A.

I kinda agree with Arnie on that one. Those bands was not a big impact on the scene, atleast not as much as the 80's was.

If any other from the 90's was, it would probably be like Shazna, Kuroyume, Baiser, Malice mizer etc.

Anyway, I'm also looking forward for this V.A.

Sign in to follow this