Sign in to follow this  
Pretsy

Best new releases: March 2015

Derp

to quote Bear's previous February topic (I hope you won't mind this one, eh?) :

The concept is simple: pick 3 releases (albums, EPs, singles or compilations), write why you like the album/why people should check it out and be cool. As you hear new albums of the month feel free to quote yourself, remove one and add the newest one instead of it. At the end of the month I'll make a new thread for the previous month. That's all.

Rules:

Post three albums each

Add a linke to your favourite track of the album. Do NOT embed youtube videos. Just link to the best song. Not everyone have decent computers to handle all the videos.

And that is basically it. Ask if there's something you're curious about.

Go go! (will post mine later)

ハイスイノナサ - 変身

I already gave my thoughts on this one here.

österreich - 無能
Another single and one that's actually not too dissimilar stylistically from the previous one. Piano-driven math with soft female vocals makes for an awesome combination and this single has me interested to see where this project goes in the future. If I had to recommend one track in particular, it would be the title track.

LLLL - Faithful 
Pretty decent IDM album with some fantastic individual tracks. I'm not as familiar with LLLL as I am with other PROGRESSIVE FOrM artists but this album has made me take note. Ironically I'm actually listening to Blue as I type this xD

Derp

to quote Bear's previous February topic (I hope you won't mind this one, eh?) :

I fucking mind it, you dick. Delete this thread ASAP!

Nah, good work. I'd make one myself but people just didn't seem interested so I gave up on it. But since you've made the thread I'll contribuate later. I like these threads.

Nah, good work. I'd make one myself but people just didn't seem interested so I gave up on it. But since you've made the thread I'll contribuate later. I like these threads.

I was actually waiting for your thread this month, since I actually had something to talk about this time lol. It might be the same for others.

Didn't have enough time to listen but I don't think it will change:

True+Enemy.jpg

Disgrace - True Enemy / sick & brutal cocktail of death metal and hardcore that will kick you in the balls

Jenny+Death+png+cover.png

Death Grips - Jenny Death / I wouldn't even mind if they quit now, cuz HOLY SHIT THIS ALBUM MANNN

12.jpg

cali≠gari - 12 / so much fun & lots of catchy songs, just what I expected from them

I haven't heard that many albums from March, but the few I have heard have been very good. Dødheimsgard, Downfall of Nur, Inculter and Gouge all released great albums, but it's easy to choose three from the lot.

484257.jpg

Dødheimsgard - A Umbra Omega

Dødheimsgard returns after 8 years with A Umbra Omega, an album consisting of 6 songs, clocking in at 67 minutes, where one is a short intro, which means the rest are rather long. The rest of the songs ranges from 11:21 to 15:14, and all of the songs are made up from a shitload of different riffs and parts, so it's a lot to dig into to be quite honest. A hard listen for sure, but it's more than worth the effort to get into it, because it is nothing short of breathtaking and more or less perfect. A true return to form for the avant-garde masters.

The Unlocking

492039.jpg

Downfall of Nur - Umbras de Barbagia

Downfall of Nur is the debut album of the one-man project of 18 year old Antonio Sanna, and what a debut it is. Downfall of Nur lays a fom of atmospheric black metal with folk/pagan and depressive black metal thrown in. It's not original in any way, but it's got more than enough character to make up for its lack of originality.

II : The Golden Age

494344.jpg

Inculter - Persisting Devolution

Straight-forward, dirty and crushing blackened thrash metal in the vein of old Destruction, Sodom and Kreator, as well as fellow countrymen Deathhammer. It's nothing you haven't heard several times before if you're into this type of music, but it's filled with great riffs from begining to end and cool vocals. In other words it has all you need as far as thrash metal goes.

Volcanic Swarm

Inculter - Persisting Devolution

Straight-forward, dirty and crushing blackened thrash metal in the vein of old Destruction, Sodom and Kreator, as well as fellow countrymen Deathhammer. It's nothing you haven't heard several times before if you're into this type of music, but it's filled with great riffs from begining to end and cool vocals. In other words it has all you need as far as thrash metal goes.

Volcanic Swarm

This totally sounds like my kinda stuff, thx for recommending!

Hah, just seeing this thread now apparently.

March had a much shorter list in terms of new releases I heard.  It's easy to pick my favorite album, it's the runners-up that are hard. Hands down, the new Prodigy album was my favorite.  The Fat of the Land made me a fan, but then I lost track of them when they totally took forever to release another album.

tumblr_nmzfknfcg01tluc72o1_400.png

The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy

tumblr_nlbsz1FKYq1qbj3reo1_540.jpg

FACT - KTHEAT

• <3 attack

tumblr_nm04k8M0TE1suchzmo1_400.jpg

倖田來未 - WALK OF MY LIFE

Honorable mentions to Kazuya Yoshii - Starlight and B'z - EPIC DAY. Solid albums, but I just didn't have any amazing favorites from either one.

tumblr_nlbsz1FKYq1qbj3reo1_540.jpg

FACT - KTHEAT

Seconding KTHEAT. They should have had all the members help write songs a long time ago. I'm always happy to see a bad that could have easily gone more pop, chose to go heavier instead with practically all of their electronic influence thrown to the wayside. They sound gritty and fresh again. I love it.

Check: The Way Down  

v4qjvs.jpg

Shizune - Le Voyageur Imprudent

Highly melodic Italian screamo. This was my first introduction to the band but it quickly turned me into a fan. I just love their duality with lots of atmospheric distortion and effects to cloud up their instrumentation but the delivery ends up being intensely emotional and not just your stereotypical angst. 

Check: Vesper  

33f993p.jpg

Too Close To Touch - Nerve Endings

A rather young band, on the trendier side of emocore, the Sleeping With Sirens and The Word Alive guest features kind of tip you off, but I don't think this album needed it. This band is really good and seem to have the M.O. that they want to be taken seriously as song writers. Which I can appreciate. The album is strong but the title track really sold me. I think it's great.

Check: Nerve Endings  

Edit:

I've wanted to jump in this thread before but just ended up too busy the last couple of months. Hopefully you guys keep it up. I love reading it!

Gotta give my 3 cents now:

Death Grips - Jenny Death

Just like Jig hinted, this album is a

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

*listen to the link

comeback from this abrasive and crazy (in a good way) trio. Seeing as they are currently on a Cali-gari-ian "troll disbandment" limbo, DG really managed to encompass (almost) all of their known, loved traits into this huge, chaotic package. The album itself is very indescribable in terms of genre-isms. But anyways, if you are really into some abrasive but fun acts - and don't mind the absence of "traditionalist" music values...this might be your cup of tea ;)

The following track demonstrates the concept DG has been known for greatly imho, so there ya go!

Listen:

Yamp Kolt - Chewing

Underrated, "weird" j-music producer Mai Fujinoya - or "Yamp Kolt" - strikes again with his latest collaboration album, "Chewing". I didn't really know much about Fujinoya's actual work until I looked up to his frequent collaborators that were present in this record too (UA, Hitomitoi, Etsuko Yakushimaru from Soutaiseiriron etc.). And this is where I fell in love with Fujinoya's typical (based on his current repertoire) habits of throwing in very Japanesque, electro-acoustic and trippy arrangements along with poppy undertones that each female collaborator create in their own way.

I highly recommend this album if you missed the long-lost fashion of Japanese 'experimentalism' from the '80s (e.g. think of Akira's soundtrack except with more modern ideas and frills) - or if you are rather unsatisfied with absence of "groundbreaking", daring j-pop releases that haven't popped up for a while.

'Nahimi' is a great showcase of how Fujinoya's trippy undertones and mature-ish pop sensibilities intertwine into something very mysterious, intriguing and even playful!

Listen:

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Mondai Girl

I am pretty sure you won't take me seriously after reading that headline, eh...? Haha, I kid! As some might already know, I am a huge Nakataphile (those who don't give a heck about him - disregard this paragraph) to the extent where I highly criticize him for departing almost completely from his usual songwriting antics (i.e. disregarding his ol' pop sensibilities for the sake of going all EDM on us). Thankfully his 'Shinjuku puppet' Kyary proved me wrong, as her latest 'Mondai Girl'-single demonstrates a few comebacks to her producer's older, musical self (video game music, lounge, synthpop etc.)...minus that CANDY CANDY remix.

'My Room' makes a big time warp back to Capsule's early releases in the vein of "Phony Phonic" or even "Cutie Cinema Replay" - and definitely stands out as a very cutesy, but surprisingly natural-sounding and nostalgic pop tune. No wonder that she gets to 'cover' Capsule songs from their heydays. Feel free to try this single out if you don't bear prejudices towards cutesy, but interesting soundscapes :)

Listen:

Sign in to follow this