Zeus

Zess' Best of 2014

Spoiler HTML code

Best of 2014

I tried to create a short, cohesive "best of" list this year. I failed.

Welcome once again to my fourth year-end list, where I talk way too much about a bunch of releases I've never mentioned before. I had the intention of keeping this list short and sweet this year, but 2014 was a great year for music. Every time I completed the list, I remembered two or three more albums that just had to be on here, and before I knew it I ended up wanting to share a lot more artists than I intended. I had to draw the line somewhere. Then, I had to find a way to keep your attention long enough for everything on this page to load.While this isn't the most exhaustive of lists, I tried to pick artists I thought people may be interested in alongside some more unusual things I liked. So now that we've reached the end of my not so subtle introduction, I think by now everything should have loaded. Read, enjoy, and leave me comments!

0号室の旅人 by 101A

0goushitsu no tabibito101A

2014 marks another great release from 101A with their fifth album 0号室の旅人 (0goushitsu no tabibito). The three-piece ensemble continues to get better at their mix of melancholic post-rock and shoegaze with some grunge elements. Noah's breathy vocals and absentminded strumming are the icing on top as always, providing the hook while also carrying the listener away with the music. 0号室の旅人 feels much more concise than their last offering while not compromising on any elements of their core sound, which makes it the album I have been waiting for since Lethe. This is a great shoegaze album to experience when you're in the mood for it!

The Joy of Motion by Animals as Leaders

The Joy Of MotionAnimals as Leaders

The Joy of Motion is a sprawling, instrumental progressive metal album that requires your full attention before the music begins to make sense. Since there's no way to digest this album in one sit, each listen reveals something new to enhance the track further. The mind bending technical solos, constant palm muting, and meaty rhythm section weave their way through genres like djent, funk, and jazz fusion without missing a beat or overwhelming the listener with too many ideas. The production is also top notch, allowing dynamics to swell and fade while each instrument remains crisp in the mix. Definitely recommended for fans of this genre!

Syro by Aphex Twin

album coverartist pic

When the father of all modern electronic music comes back after a thirteen year hiatus and drops an album, you have to notice. When it's a good album, you have to talk about it. As understated as it is appealing, Syro is so sexy because despite all the hype it's a genuinely good album. It still has that trademark Aphex Twin sound despite being a total departure from the glitch-heavy acid sound of past Aphex Twin, The Tuss, and AFX. It's like he never stopped making music - and in a way, he hasn't. It's been too long since I've been able to chill out and go on a journey to some new Aphex material and the new songs are catchier and more enjoyable than ever. My hat's off to the genius from Cornwall - nobody can do brainwave better.

Noise by Boris

album coverartist pic

Boris has proven time and time again that a three member band can jam with the best of them. Experimenting successfully while pioneering one of the densest sounds known to man, their bucket list includes drone, doom, hardcore, electronic pop, shoegaze, stoner rock, and ambient. In nine tracks we run the gamut on everything from grandiose post-rock numbers like Angel to more straightforward, aggressive tracks like Quicksilver to the slow, thunderous, plodding Heavy Rain and Vanilla. In all honesty, it's difficult to explain how good NOISE is without detailing each track and how they all work together despite their differences. Take this as a testament to Boris' skill. If not for the fact that it's one of their best releases to date, check out NOISE for it's massive riffs and successful experimentation

DIStopping by Charisma.com

album coverartist pic

For a group that was only a blip on the radar two years ago Charisma.com blew up fast. It's not only impressive that the duo shook up the pop scene with a little bit of something old and a little bit of something new, but they adapted western electro-infused hip-hop to fit the rhythmic and tonal qualities of Japanese while keeping the rhythm and funk intact, but DIStopping is infectiously catchy to boot. These two girls work so well together it's hard not to enjoy their music. Whether they're railing against societal norms or talking about breasts, there's always one constant you can bet your rent on: interesting beats, a killer flow from Itsuka and a good hook from Gonchi. And at the end of the day, the duo proves that it's all you really need to make some damn good music.

Clark by Clark

clarkclark

Looking back at it, 2014 was a really great year for electronic music. Chris Clark's eponymous sixth album mixes computer-generated clicks with processed sounds and samples to generate an atmosphere bubbling with wonder and foreboding. The synthesizer and analog tones on top give weight to the songs as they expand and contract indiscriminately. Clark (the album) is another wonderful addition to the electronic music from the British circuit and the album sees Clark (the expert knob twiddler) move in a completely new direction, sounding both refreshing and a bit strange. Clark contrasts well with Syro, choosing to focus more on samples and less on analog melodies than the former. It may lose fans of his previously more straightforward music, but I think the new focus on mood and atmosphere that blends sounds to produce an engrossing experience comes out on top.

Butterfly Effect by Clockwork Indigo

album coverartist pic

If you had ever told me Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers would come together under one project to spit dope one-liners about money, pussy, and drugs, I wouldn't have believed you. It's not hard to envision two groups that share a member coming together under one umbrella, but Clockwork Indigo feels like more than a one-time thing. The two titans of Beast Coast sound comfortable working with one another as if they've been one group all along and this is just another record, and that one record happens to outdo most everything else released this year. The subject matter doesn't often extend past money, pussy, and drugs but once in a while one of them will drop an insightful mouthful that will make you pause and wonder where the ignorance stops, where the genius begins, and how much of that can be attributed to marijuana. The only flaw of the entire record is that it's a scant five songs and "System" leaves me wanting more. I personally wondered how Flatbush Zombies would outdo BetterOffDEAD - I now have my answer.

Promulgation of the Fall by Dead Congregation

album coverartist pic

If you're looking for death metal honed to an edge, search no more. Elite Greek metal titans Dead Congregation understand that death metal is best served filthy, dark, and depressing. Their music wallows in all the qualities becoming of classic death metal with a helping hand of some good old-fashioned doom metal. The production also strikes a good balance between crispness and lo-fi murkiness when it counts most, keeping the clean passages clean and the heavy passages heavy. The cherry on top would be the atmospheric passages that function as "breathers" between the really great riffs, which transform Promulgation of the Fall from "just another death metal record" to "that death metal record". I talk a lot about the virtues of bands changing over time, but sometimes getting exactly what you expected to is good too.

Arche by Dir en grey

archedir en grey

ARCHE is Dir en grey's most focused effort in years. It is a much more listenable experience due to the band realizing that sometimes less is more. By not trying as hard to be progressive and abstract, they surpassed the progressiveness of both Dum Spiro Spero and Uroboros complemented with ethereal overtones reminiscent of sukekiyo. ARCHE stops just short of being legendary due to a handful of tracks that should not have made it onto the album. Tracks like "phenomenon", "懐春"(kaishun) and "禍夜想" (magayasou) are when Dir en grey gets it right, and more than compensates for when Dir en grey makes a misstep. In the future, I could see ARCHE mentioned in the same breath as VULGAR and Withering to death. as generally good Dir en grey albums, and it is definitely an album I will find myself revisiting again and again. It's just something that could have been a legendary release with a bit more time and care.

Under the Influence 2 by Domo Genesis

album coverartist pic

Amongst most music circles, it is generally agreed that the only two musically relevant figures from Odd Future are Tyler, the Creator and Earl Sweatshirt. While the first has produced only a handful of notable tracks since his misogynistic, hate-filled debut Bastard, Earl gets better and better with each release. Under the Influence 2 is Domo Genesis' attempt to follow in Earl's footsteps and become Odd Future's dark horse. UTI2 is first and foremost a fun mixtape, with the first five tracks featuring more talking than rapping, but once the music gets started it hits like a truck. Domo is the cannabis connoisseur of OF and it comprises the majority of his lyrics, but he drops tongue twisters amongst some poignant lines and deep reflections to make even Earl proud. Definitely one of the more unexpected hip-hop gems of this year!

Oi Magoi by Hail Spirit Noir

oi magoihail spirit noir

You won't find an album from 2014 album that defies all attempts at genre classification more than Oi Magoi. There's also not another album that's left me strapped for words such as this one does. Hail Spirit Noir champions a completely original sound, deconstructing and combining black metal, progressive metal, and psychedelic rock in a way that's both distinctive and accessible. It's everything I want modern day metal to be: deep and introspective without sounding pretentious with a mix of old and new ideas in a novel way. When taken from that perspective, Oi Magoi is perhaps one of my top albums of the entire year. There's no need to explain why; listen and hear for yourself.

The Path of Apotheosis by Inferi

the path of apotheosisinferi

Now this is a metal album that knows how to grab my attention! I've been frustrated with metal in the past year or so, finding many bands content to rehash the same tired ideas. Inferi dared to push those boundaries and collate ideas from all sorts of places and succeed with flying colors. Each track on The Path of Apotheosis is a flurry of blast beats, funky bass, and weighty riffs with flourishes of symphonic elements. The ideas work with each other instead of against each other, lending each song to feel like more than the sum of it's parts. Yet despite it's scope, The Path of Apotheosis never gets too cheesy or too overbearing. It strikes the perfect balance between brutality and grandioseness that only a few legendary albums manage. A definite recommendation for the metalheads!

Shiori by jizue

shiorijizue

jizue is a band that changes without changing at all. The magic they captivated me with last year in journal is still present on Shiori. They still play the most engrossing fusion of jazz and post-rock with an intuitive sense for progression delivered via standard, predictable post-rock structures. What makes Shiori their best album to date is how they've managed to subvert their greatest strength - their predictability - and incorporate guest vocals into their rhythmically complex and vocal-unfriendly music. For the second year running, jizue nails their style of jazz mixed with post-rock so well that each song from beginning to end is an engrossing love affair of guitars, drums, and piano - now with added vocals which never detract from the experience. If you're in the mood for something chill yet catchy, Shiori may just scratch that itch.

Symphony of the Vampire / Heart by Kamijo

symphony of the vampireheartkamijo

It's clear to see that Kamijo was the winner out of the post-Versailles fallout, managing to release two solid concept albums that leave Jupiter's offerings in the dust. Kamijo alone may not possess the hype and prestige of Versailles, but he has the essence of their sound and mixes it with his own artistic whims. He continues with the same concept as Versailles: power metal songs about vampires, roses, blood, death, etc. It's predictable and cheesy but that's what gives the music it's charm. Kamijo's compositions certainly don't slouch and while the metal tracks don't have the same bite Versailles' tracks used to, his pop songs and ballads are much more interesting. This allows him to expand his sound past what Versailles could achieve, and ultimately creates a more accessible experience. While I feel Symphony of the Vampire is the more focused effort, both releases are by far the best power metal visual kei has offered this year.

Abstruse Imbeciles Nailed on Slavery by Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron

symphony of the vampireschrisse

Sounding like a fusion of Wintersun, Strapping Young Lad, and Cynic, Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron is a one man progressive extreme metal band, with all aspects of the band handled by one musician nicknamed Schrisse. The name of both the album and the band are questionable, but the attention to detail on each track is impeccable. From the mind-melting riffs to the insane solos to the melodies hidden beneath them, each song is a lengthy, engaging listen. It's not hard to believe that it took Schrisse six years to complete, but it's six years very well spent. There are a few drawbacks such as the muddy production and drum machine (he needs a drummer very badly), but the creativity and the virtuosity displayed on this record dwarf these negatives and make it one of my favorite releases of the year.

Elddop by Martyrdöd

elddopmartyrdod

This four-piece Swedish blackened crust band can pen some of the catchiest, most aggressive riffs I can imagine! First and foremost, the musicianship is top-notch as always. Elddop is primal and powerful, the equivalent of sonic shrapnel piercing everything in it's way. Elddop is more of everything that I like from Martyrdöd: unrelenting fury, anger, and despair gussied up with great production values amongst a coherent smattering of riffs and throat-shredding vocals. It may not push the boundaries of d-beat/crust music, but it doesn't need to. If riffs like "En Jobbigt Javel" or "Martyren" don't catch your attention, you might be dead.

The Last Dawn / Rays of Darkness by Mono

the last dawnrays of darknessmono

Mono is not and never has been an adventurous band. They are the very definition of a band that gets better and better at doing the exact same thing. "The Last Dawn / Rays of Darkness" is what happens when a band that never changes decides to do something new. Mono managed to cater to their fans while pushing themselves and their sound further in a direction no one thought they would ever go. What makes Mono one of the greatest post-rock bands of all time is how well they can appeal to the listener's myriad emotions without having to utter a word, and Mono find themselves at their most vulnerable and captivating since their infamous album "Hymn to the Immortal Wind". Mono haven't changed at all, but by adding in one new element they've completely transformed the game and put themselves back on top again.

Rhapsody in Beauty by THE NOVEMBERS

rhapsody in beautythe novembers

Kicking off their fifth album with feedback so loud it's the auditory equivalent of the middle-finger, THE NOVEMBERS know how to start an album right. This album, while structurally top-heavy, oozes creativity from beginning to end. From monolithic opener Xenakis - which sets the mood excellently - to the turbulent follow-up Sturm und Drang, to the catchy shoegaze meets rock number Xeno, THE NOVEMBERS run through a plethora of sounds in just three tracks. The meat of the album retains the experimentality of the first few tracks, but mixes them with their shoegaze style in a much more accessible way. The rest of the sound is layered, hopping between more delicate, laid-back tunes and frantic, spastic indie rock numbers. If you're in the neighborhood for a no-holds barred trip through the realm of shoegaze and indie rock, you won't do much better than Rhapsody in beauty.

風神界逅/雷神創世 by 陰陽座

fuujinkaikouraijinsouseionmyouza

風神界逅(fuujinkaikou) and 雷神創世(raijinsousei) are a monolithic compendium of Onmyouza's self branded youkai heavy metal. Tracks that kick serious ass are littered throughout both albums. Both take the spot as Onmyouza's best albums to date and get better with every listen. This is impressive when the experience borders on two hours of content. Every song uses the same batch of ideas, but Onmyouza synthesizes them in such a way such that they all are distinct and complement each other nicely. This speaks to the amazing execution of the concept behind this album. I have no clue what direction they will go after this and I have no idea how long it will take them to get there, but I'm ready anticipating something big. Onmyouza have made it clear that they are not done yet. Successfully pulling off a high-quality, no holds barred double concept album this is something every lover of metal, rock, operatic female vocals, or Japanese culture and music should listen to. In a year full of amazing music, these two albums sit near the top.

Dangerous Days by Perturbator

dangerous daysperturbator

Slightly dirty sounding name aside, Perturbator tests the limits of what a concept album dares to do. The concept of Dangerous Days takes place in Nocturne City in the year 2088. A dying metropolis in a cyberpunk dystopian future, The Perturbator serves as a vigilante of justice, like Robocop but with a vendetta against his creators, the machines, and their leader "SATAN". Dangerous Days is as much an aural trip as it is music, ensnaring the listener in a foreboding atmosphere reminiscent of 80's sci-fi movies. Tracks distinguish themselves while retaining a cohesive atmosphere; "Future Club"'s pulsating synth lines sounds like the height of an underground wave, while "Humans Are Such Easy Prey" conjures a more menacing, Terminator-like mood. The sparse but effective use of vocals only add to the mood, either complimenting the darkwave elements or to further the story. It comes together in the final track, which wraps up the journey and transitions the tone to a lighter note nicely. Dangerous Days requires a different type of approach to listening dependent on how creative your imagination is, and it's an unusual but rewarding experience to get lost in at least once.

Run the Jewels 2 by Run the Jewels

fuujinkaikouonmyouza

Another year passes and another Run The Jewels record filled to the brim with banging tunes and boisterous lyrics makes it's appearance. Despite their approach to making music (they gave this album away for free! again!) and the age of the emcees, the momentum this rap duo has is undeniable. Even the mainstream can't deny the lyrical prowess and catchiness that is RTJ2. Both sides of El-P and Killer Mike are on display here - the "street thug" facade that insists that they "shove pistols in people's faces at random places" and the more vulnerable, honest side that likes to rap about anything: systemic racism, injustice, paranoia, the less glorious side of street life, sex, etc. One of the most touching moments on the entire album is Killer Mike's verse on crown, where he recounts his days as a crack dealer and has some reflections on the lives he's damaged over the course of "doing business". The two sides of the emcees don't sound like they would come together on paper, but it does and but the energy on each track feeds off each other to create the top hip-hop release of the year.

逆輸入 ~港湾局~ / 日出処 by 椎名林檎

reimporthiizurutokoroonmyouza

Japan's Queen of Pop released not one, but two albums this year! Neither reach the level of her early classics but both are enjoyable releases in their own right. 逆輸入 ~港湾局~ (Gyakuyunyū: Kōwankyoku) is a self-cover album where Shiina performs songs she penned for other artists. It's the less accessible album of the two and took much longer to grow on me, but I can look past the flaws to see the gems on the album. It's biggest strength is also it's greatest flaw: it's diversity. Shiina tackles a wide variety of genres to varying amounts of success. She works it well, missing the mark only by a bit on a handful of tracks. 主演の女 in particular has grown on me and is one of my favorite songs on the album. 日出処 (Hiizurutokoro) features almost all of Shiina's latest singles and functions both as a great encapsulation of her post-Tokyo Jihen sound while bringing this era to a close. The albums started coming into their own once I divorced Shiina's solo project from Tokyo Jihen's sound. I could see how it doesn't fill the void TJ left, but Shiina's pop sensibilities won me over at the end of the day. 日出処 is a great introduction to the world of Shiina Ringo, while 逆輸入 ~港湾局~ is reserved for the more daring or those that want to explore further.

Strangeulation by Tech N9ne

strangeulationtecca nina

With a flow that spits faster than the gun he's named after, Tech N9ne has been one of the largest figures in the underground rap scene for the last two decades. The inspiration and energy behind the album don't indicate his veteran status, hitting with the same amount of hunger as any new emcee. Strangeulation is a few large steps up from trap music, opting for banging beats and bars with more syllables than you can shake a stick at. The large amount of successful guest features is a plus too. Everyone feels right at home alongside T9, and the mix of rapping and singing from all involved make each song as memorable and engaging as the last. If you were looking for rap music with real lyrics and great production values, Strangeulation is your record.

Fantastic Magic by TK from 凛として時雨

fantastic magictk

Fantastic Magic is one of those albums that reveals itself to the listener over time. It's cut from the same cloth as sister band 凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Shigure), so expect eccentric, ambitious indie rock with some very "interesting" vocals. There's always been a rough beauty to TK's high pitched, abrasive vocals, and what he lacks in skill he makes up for with the music. This time he's paired them with lavish, ambitious compositions that utilize the trifecta of piano, electric violin, and guitar to good effect. They go together so well that neither would work as well without the other. It's difficult for me to find another indie rock album from this year that's as engaging or expressive as Fantastic Magic. Plenty of other bands have tried to replicate 凛として時雨's complex style and delivery and no one has come close. Fantastic Magic is more proof that indie rock is TK's realm and everyone else is just living in it.

Digital Dream Sequence by Trioscapes

digital dream sequencetrioscapes

A band with a very unassuming name that packs a hefty wallop, little prepares you for the opening notes of Digital Dream Sequence. The album goes from 0 to 60 faster than a Ford GT through five tracks of free-form instrumental proggy jazz fusion. Each track is a lengthy love affair of sax, drums, and guitar that ebb and flow through weird time signatures and hyperactive movements. This is the most turbulent jazz music I've heard all year and gets just as cacophonous as any metal release. It definitely took time for me to open up to it, but Digital Dream Sequence is a great alternative to the jazz pop that introduced me to the genre in the first place. If you're at all into jazz and rock music, don't pass this up.

ボカロ三昧 by 和楽器バンド

vocalo zanmaiwagakki band

Rock bands that incorporate traditional Japanese influences aren't something new. It's not often that a rock band features a dedicated flutist, koto player, shamisen player, and wadaiko player in addition to the traditional guitarist/bassist/drummer/vocalist core. It's also not often that members from visual kei session bands, utaite and niconico circles come together under one flag to collaborate. Wagakki-Band don't just incorporate these influences into their rock music - it's one and the same. Any doubts as to whether or not it translates into interesting music is absolved at the chorus of "Tengoku", where vocalist and linchpin Yuko Suzuhana steals the show with her flawless fusion of straightforward singing and enka. Vocalo Zanmai may be a cover album, but the way this band chewed these songs up and spit them out makes them all unrecognizable. It's enough to make you forget these were covers in the first place! A band able to take not one but twelve different songs by twelve different artists and produce such a solid album shows their level of skill and musicianship. Wagakki-Band have already shown us with their first original song "Hanabi" that they are capable of their own compositions without faltering on the quality.

The hype train is boarding and you're all invited.

dammm that styling doe!

Definitely gonna try the non-Japanese one, after I completed listening to all album in MHmas list...

...but my head still kind of stick with Mono, Boris, and Tokyo Jihen. :"

dammm that styling doe!

THIS.

I'm pretty incapable of commenting on your list since I haven't tried almost any of those releases, but oh my god your list looks awesome and stylish and *insert gazillions of praising adjectives*.

Definitely praise to the html overlord for a sweet looking layout! Seriously, nice job there.

Nice list too.  Everyone digs such a wider range of music than I pegged them for, it's really awesome to see that.

Co-signed: Wagakki band
That was just such a cool and unexpected release this year. Glad to see it's still included here. Though, I was pretty sure it would be.

I had no idea there was a 101A release this year!! I need to get my hands on that one right away. And AAL put out a great album this year. I was really close to including TJOM in my list too, but ended up really trimming down my international artists. After seeing your list now, though... I wish I didn't. 

Thanks for these: Clark, Hail Spirit Noir, Jizue, Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron, Martyrdöd, Tech N9ne
Hail Spirit Noir have a nice doom-ish feel about them. I definitely need to look into them more. Whoa! Dat Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron tho. I was hooked from that first note just about. Also need more of that artist in my life. And Tech N9ne, CAT5's been playing him in plug and getting me hooked. 

Also, not sure if it's just me but the Run the Jewels vids are blocked by SME so I can't watch them. 

Very cool list. I'm both surprised and happy to see Dead Congregation, Hail Spirit Noir, Martyrdöd and Perturbator on your list to be honest, but all are very good choices. Especially Hail Spirit Noir which made it onto my top 10 again as wel, just like they did with their even better debut album.

However, Dead Congregation isn't a band I play too often despite their music being very good, though. I fucking hate the drums on both Graves of the Archangels and Promulgation of the Fall. Machine gun drums triggered to death just doesn't do it for me, and the sanre sounds awful on the new abum as well. Half way to St. Anger-land. Eeew.

Definitely praise to the html overlord for a sweet looking layout! Seriously, nice job there.

Nice list too.  Everyone digs such a wider range of music than I pegged them for, it's really awesome to see that.

Co-signed: Wagakki band
That was just such a cool and unexpected release this year. Glad to see it's still included here. Though, I was pretty sure it would be.

I had no idea there was a 101A release this year!! I need to get my hands on that one right away. And AAL put out a great album this year. I was really close to including TJOM in my list too, but ended up really trimming down my international artists. After seeing your list now, though... I wish I didn't. 

Thanks for these: Clark, Hail Spirit Noir, Jizue, Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron, Martyrdöd, Tech N9ne
Hail Spirit Noir have a nice doom-ish feel about them. I definitely need to look into them more. Whoa! Dat Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron tho. I was hooked from that first note just about. Also need more of that artist in my life. And Tech N9ne, CAT5's been playing him in plug and getting me hooked. 

Also, not sure if it's just me but the Run the Jewels vids are blocked by SME so I can't watch them. 

I'm glad you found so many things you were interested in from my list! Don't forget to tell me what you end up liking more than others at some point.

Also about Run the Jewels, try this video below.

Definitely gonna try the non-Japanese one, after I completed listening to all album in MHmas list...

...but my head still kind of stick with Mono, Boris, and Tokyo Jihen. :"

If you like Tokyo Jihen don't skip out on Shiina's solo stuff! Same vocalist but slightly different style, but more than enough for fans of TJ to love.

Very cool list. I'm both surprised and happy to see Dead Congregation, Hail Spirit Noir, Martyrdöd and Perturbator on your list to be honest, but all are very good choices. Especially Hail Spirit Noir which made it onto my top 10 again as wel, just like they did with their even better debut album.

However, Dead Congregation isn't a band I play too often despite their music being very good, though. I fucking hate the drums on both Graves of the Archangels and Promulgation of the Fall. Machine gun drums triggered to death just doesn't do it for me, and the sanre sounds awful on the new abum as well. Half way to St. Anger-land. Eeew.

This year I definitely felt like I expanded into different genres more than ever before. While I was doing this list I realized that I covered more genres this year without trying than I did in all my last three years. I wouldn't have heard of Hail Spirit Noir if you hadn't pointed me in their direction and I was already familiar with Martyrdöd (although I was late to listening to Elddop this year). The other two are definitely new.

I haven't heard any of Dead Congregation's other releases because I have to be in the mood to listen to them. But when I am, I don't mind the drums for some reason.

This year I definitely felt like I expanded into different genres more than ever before. While I was doing this list I realized that I covered more genres this year without trying than I did in all my last three years. I wouldn't have heard of Hail Spirit Noir if you hadn't pointed me in their direction and I was already familiar with Martyrdöd (although I was late to listening to Elddop this year). The other two are definitely new.

I haven't heard any of Dead Congregation's other releases because I have to be in the mood to listen to them. But when I am, I don't mind the drums for some reason.

That is very cool!

I think the DC's debut is a lot more unique, taking less influence from Morbid Angel. A bit dirter, darker and rotten in a way, I guess. But it's got those very clicky bass drums that I just can't stand. But I know the band is very popular in the underground, even by those who don't like overly triggered drums. If you can look past the drum sound, which you can, it should please you a lot I think.

JEE-ZEUS effin christ, man. DAT LAYOUT

jNrEwwQ.gif

As everyone else has mentioned, your list looks amazing and your html wizardry is STOOOPID good as always.

Animals as Leaders - one of the few albums on your list that I've actually heard before and I can see why it's on your list. I actually listened to this with some months ago and her commentary definitely helped me wrap my head around this album a bit more efficiently.

Aphex Twin - This seems interesting and engaging. I'll keep this album in mind when I'm next in the mood to stretch my ears a bit

Boris - I really enjoyed NOISE and I can see how it would make your list. Track 2-4 on that album get a lot of play from me!

Chrisma.com - I can vouch for this as well. I probably would have included it on my list as well, but I simply haven't spend enough time with the record yet.

Clark - ok this sounds pretty awesome judging from the samples. Seems much more my speed than syro.

Clockwork Indigo - you've probably noticed from my eoty that hip-hop isn't a genre that i've gravitated much towards this past year. I've seen flatbush zombies around a bit (mostly on tumblr), but I've never tried their music until clicking those 2 samples. I like the first sample better than the 2nd, but it still might be worth looking into. I can deal with decadent lyrics to an extent, but it depends on the presentation.

Dead Congregation - you've probably also noticed that i'm not huge on metal either, but this seems perfect for when i'm in that rare mood to hear something absolutely crushing!

Dir en Grey - tracks 6, 11, and the singles I enjoy

Domo Genesis - I believe you linked him in the chat one day? Sounds dope, but I'd have to be in the mood for it.

Hail Spirit Noir - This sounds interesting...curious to hear what a full album sounds like.

Inferi - Ok this sounds like my kind of metal. Heavy, melodic, thrashing..even some neo-classical tendencies. Nice!

Jizue - still need to listen!

Kamijo - ^__^

Lost Ubikyst in Apeiron - being a one man metal band seems like a lonely, tedious task (and i can't help but think of that music video champed showed us of another one-man metal act). Sounds nice actually, but not sure If I can jive with the production.

Martyrdöd - dat 2nd sample sold me

Mono - oh man, 'recoil, ignite' is one of the best songs i've heard all year. The Last Dawn had some really gorgeous tracks as well.

THE NOVEMBERS - bruh

Onmyouza - the chorus on "故に其の疾きこと風の如く"....fffffffffffff

Perturbator - this sounds cool. a lot of 80's-influenced music seems to be growing on me this year.

Run the Jewels - those videos are blocked in the U.S., but I already know this release has to be awesome. Another one I still need to listen to!

Shiina Ringo - classy as always!

Tech N9ne - this was one of the few hip-hop albums that I listened to and enjoyed this year. Strange Music is an amazing label.

TK - It's really amazing to see how far this dude has come and all the boundaries he's broken down.

Trioscapes - This sounds all kinds of sexy. Another one to check out.

Wagakki band - still need to listen to it!

It's really interesting seeing the differences in everyone's music tastes - between you and the rest of the review squad, a lot of different areas have been talked about, and I've been exposed to a few things that I certainly need to check out. Thanks for working so hard to share this with us, Zess!

(first of all, sorry for the late reply!)

Definitely found some cool things on your godly-formatted list!

I'm a fan of some of 101A's material, but I don't follow them closely enough, so thanks for bringing their release to my attention!
Perturbator (you're right, dat name...) sounds cool as hell! Loving that sci-fi 80s feel.

The most pleasant surprises for me were Animals as Leaders, Hail Spirit Noir, and Martyrdöd. "METAL" is simply not a genre I have enough access to. That's why I love looking at these year-end lists (especially, when I don't necessarily have the same taste); you're just bound to find something out of your comfort zone, yet totally worth checking out!

Happy to see you also slightly preferred Symphony of the Vampire to Heart. I feel like it was overlooked, since we tend to be (full) album-crazy here on MH (though I did love both releases).

/ SHOWS UP 4 WEEKS LATE WITH STARBUCKS

I'm so glad NOISE made it onto your list. It's a fantastic album and Angel is probably one of my favourite tracks of 2014.