• MACABRE
    • 鬼è?¬ (KISOU)
    • VULGAR
    • Withering to death.
    • THE MARROW OF A BONE
    • UROBOROS
    • DUM SPIRO SPERO
    • ARCHE

I voted for Vulgar - but that was a very difficult vote to cast.  While Kisou was the first album I bought by them and really made me love them, my obsession with Dir en grey was at its peak when Vulgar came out.  Kasumi, Drain Away, and Child Prey were the perfect buildup singles that flooded my ears that year before the release, along with Six Ugly EP and the 5 Ugly Kingdom DVD.

I remember clearly freaking out the day before it released, because the ultra powerful Typhoo Maemi was rolling towards the Ryukyu Islands and I thought I wasn't going to be able to pick up my order due to the weather.  I went early and it was already on the shelves, and I bought it.  The Typhoon locked me in the house for nearly a week, and all I did the entire time was listen to Vulgar and play Soul Calibur II (which released a week before for PS2).   When I go back to that album now, the rush of nostalgia hits me like a tsunami.  I can't ignore it.

Withering to Death because that's actually the first album I heard by them.  I have looked over the others and some are great, and others not so much.  Withering to Death probably has a nostalgic edge factoring into why it's my personal favorite.  I remember seeing the video to Saku when it first came out with a buddy and we were blown away.

1. Uruboros

2. WTD

3. Dum Spiro Spero

4. Vulgar

5. TMOAB

My Top 5. Clearly not as big of a fan of their VK era. But I still rank their VK albums above most (if not just about all) other bands. Honestly I listen to all 5 of these albums the same. All perfect in my opinion. Dir En Grey is my favorite band of all time period.