Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Bioshock 1 headed to iOS

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/04/bioshock-ios/

If BioShock Infinite's brief stopover in Rapture wasn't enough to sate your Randian desires, 2K Games' China studio is currently in the process of moving the original BioShock from last-gen consoles and PC to iOS. Like XCOM: Enemy Unknown before it, BioShock is a "premium" iOS game and thus carries a "premium" price -- that price is unknown thus far, but we'd put it somewhere in the $10 - $30 range.

Yes, BioShock doesn't look as good on iOS. It's the truth. In-game lighting and shadows are cut down pretty dramatically, as are art assets. The grandeur of Rapture is distinctly less grand, which sucks some of the life out of one of my personal favorites. The first thing you'll notice is "iOS fire." The game's opening -- a plane crash -- puts main character Jack in the ocean surrounded by some hideously ugly fire animations. It's the first hint that the iOS version of Rapture has been shrunken down to fit within Apple's app store file size limitation, and it's a nagging issue that I couldn't shake in my hands-on time.

BioShock is a great example of world-building in video games, and the iOS experience is a subpar representation. Simply put, between the lessened scale and the delivery medium, BioShock iOS is distinctly less immersive.

What a shame that serious gaming still can't happen on iOS when even a AAA 7 year old title looks and runs this bad. I'm not the biggest graphics stickler but fuck that.

bioshockios_96pxfullbleed.jpg

Why even put out great titles like this on iOS and ruin the experience completely by degrading it to terrible graphics and audio? Buying a PS3 or 360 if you haven't already got one really isn't that expensive anymore, and for a good deal you can get the entire Bioshock series in one multi-pack (cheaper than the alleged price of 10$ - 30$) now that provides you with amazing graphics and gameplay. Hell, if you've got a normally running PC then you can grab these titles on Steam for a laughable price.

I don't understand why they decided to ship this as a single download instead of releasing 2GB episodes, but it legit looks better than majority of ps3/xbox 360 launch games, and renders at the same/higher resolution; it is also supposed to run at the currently going through phase out hardware (i.e. iphone 5), while newer and more powerful iphones are coming this fall.

it's a stupid move, and I don't like it, but visuals-wise it's looking pretty neat to me.

There's a target audience for this. If you're a console or PC owner of this game, there's no reason for you to complain unless if you were planning to buy it for the go.

Sign in to follow this