Sign in to follow this  
bonsaijodelfisch

Studio Ghibli

:'( sad news

totoro.jpg

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/08/studio-ghibli-closes-doors.html

Just moments ago, Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli producer, announced on the TV show of the MBS Jounetsu Tairiku chain effectively as announced as sources close to the studio, Studio Ghibli will close and production studio anime, leaving himself only as a company that will manage its trademarks. As stated in the program’s producer, “the production department of anime will be dismantled,” which coincides with the data that we gave in our previous post on this decision had been taken from spring after the poor reception at the box office of Kaguya-hime no Monogatari.

In the interview, Suzuki has also admitted that it was a major setback for the study progress Hayao Miyazaki, one of the reasons already unveiled the portal Rakuten Woman. Once we have access to the full TV interview, adding more data. No doubt that this is a very sad news for Japanese animation, of which we are all fans, because it is undeniable everything Studio Ghibli has given the anime. Please remember that what will be his last film, Omoide no Marnie, premiered at the Japanese box office on 19 July.

So any more information as to why it went under? Studio Ghibli was a semi-big name I expected them to last a little while longer after Miyazaki left.

post-2396-0-33568700-1407108903_thumb.jp

Any other Studio Ghibli fans here? They're internationally renowned for their gorgeous animation and are a major influence for many filmmakers and animators. Most known for Spirited Away which one won the Oscar for Best Animated Film in 2001, and was the first anime movie to do so.

I've been a die hard fan since I first saw Princess Mononoke years ago on VHS. Also Studio Ghibli has made some of the best feminist films ever! Strong, relatable, unique, non-sexualized, LEAD female characters in engaging stories against a backdrop of stunning visuals and some of the most beautiful animation I've ever seen. Animu fans with no soul will tell you Ghibli films are for kids, but people of all ages can enjoy these movies. Their films are magical and fill me with so much happiness (except Grave of the Fireflies lol) whenever I see them I feel like a kid again.

So I was deeply saddened when I read that they've just announced that they're closing :'( http://oh-totoro.com/post/93700803450/studio-ghibli-announces-closure-toshio-suzuki

It had already been rumored that they were closing because their last films just haven't been turning a profit, but to see that it's true just breaks my heart. Some of my most favorite movies ever are Ghibli works.

RIP Studio Ghibli, they've left behind a body of work that is unmatched by any animation studio imo

What are your guys' favorite Ghibli movies? Have you seen any?

aw man I just made a thread for this too lol

So any more information as to why it went under? Studio Ghibli was a semi-big name I expected them to last a little while longer after Miyazaki left.

I don't know what the studio is gonna say, but I've heard their last three films flopped and didn't make a profit.

So any more information as to why it went under?

production costs.

The insider added animated films required tremendous amounts of money, so there is pressure for the films to be successful so Ghibli can cover its costly production expenses as well as, I'd imagine, remain healthy and profitable. By the insider's count, each film apparently needs to make at least ten billion yen (US$100 million) to cover all its production costs as well as, I'd imagine, turn a healthy profit. Even with a relatively small staff, the insider puts Ghibli's annual labor expenses at supposedly two billion yen ($19.7 million). Note: These numbers are unconfirmed.

Last fall, the Asahi Shimbun, one of Japan's largest papers, reported that while other animation studios have shipped jobs overseas to save money, Studio Ghibli had hired more permanent full-time employees in Japan, making the films incredibly expensive to make. Asahi reports that even though The Wind Rises had made 9.23 billion yen ($91 million), the film had apparently yet to turn a profit. The Tale of Princess Kaguya, apparently, cost even more to create.

"The Tale of Princess Kaguya from director Isao Takahata made 5.1 billion yen ($50 million), and for the studio, it was a flop," the source told News Cafe. "There's no choice but to dissolve the studio, because it's unable cross the high hurdle of announcing a new film on an annual basis."

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/89831187.html

Sign in to follow this