Sign in to follow this  
Tetora

What emotions do you look for and release through Japanese music?

Hey guys,

What emotions inside of you, or the music itself initially drew you to Japanese music (from Visual Kei, to Japanese Rock, to Japanese Indie, etc...) and has that list of emotions grown or changed over time as you grew, and discovered new bands?

Do you find unique feelings in Japanese music that you can`t find elsewhere?

Do you relate more to the musicians or sound than other kinds of music? 

For me, I grew up listening to Classic Rock first. I heard The Rolling Stones as a child, and I was like: Wow, this is real music! Then I fell in love with guitar riffs and solos, and played air guitar in my room until I got a Fender.

I loved it so much, but there was still more I was looking for, some kind of energy, and feeling that I wasn`t quite getting to feel complete.

I saw a TM Revolution PV shortly afterwards, and I knew that was what I was looking for. I started learning of other bands and musicians over the years, like L`Arc, Gackt, etc as I grew and the list of Japanese music grew, but it all fit with me so well even if it was so different.

I loved the energy, attitude, the look, and then finally, the hope.

I still loved Classic Rock, but it was like I already saw them all as old now, and they never found that love, they never reunited with that person, they still sing about the same things, etc... And I kind of slowly replaced it all with younger people, who may not find what they are looking for, but are still young, and the story is still ongoing, there is still some hope.

For me, the strongest things that still draw me to my favorite bands are the emotions tied to hope. I love Gackt and Buck-Tick for example... but it seems like they have accepted the sadness, and I have all this sadness and sorrow in me too, but I wont settle into it like some people have, I want to continue living with this Never-Give-Up attitude, even if it is seen as foolish, or unrealistic.

One of my favorites, Takanori Nishikawa of TM Revolution, formed Abingdon Boys School. I talk about both projects often, as they inspire me. Anyway, to me, TMR was always bad-ass, and full of hope and courage and attitude, even if it was sad sometimes. Then comes the debut album from Abingdon Boys School, self-titled, and it was mired in sadness and sorrow, and so straight-forward in how he expressed things other people are afraid to say. but it was still bad-ass underneath, his attitude was still there... And I loved it. Then comes their second album, Abingdon Road, and it was like he moved on from that sadness, while keeping as it is a part of him forever, but he had so much more strength to stand and walk-on, with tracks like Strength, JAP, SOUEN, Dusk til Dawn, etc... It was really inspiring to me, as he and the band had the attitude to fight, with that spirit, and not just stay in the same place.

Anyway, enough about me, please share what feelings and emotions draw you to Japanese music, I`m sure everyone will love to hear it!

I am not really into classic rock. I am usually a fan of alternative/indie rock types (1990s to 2000s). Don't get me wrong, I don't like those dull Grunge or Nu-Metal bands. lol

I am OK with any emotion, happy, sad, etc. as long as I like the music. Most of the J-rock bands I like actually sound similar to the Western alternative/indie rock bands I like. What I like about Japanese rock is that it sometimes has more complex melodies and song structures, and solos that a lot of modern Western alternative/pop rock bands don't bother to try/have. Just because you belong to some sort of pop, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try something a little surprising and complex. J-rock bands has done this better. Of course there are simple J-rock bands, but some of them probably can make up for it with better melodies compared to Western bands. But it will depend on the band.

I think I should probably put it this way: I am not a fan of most pop rock bands that do anime openings. Most of them belong to the "simple song" type. But I would rather listen to those anime opening bands than mainstream Western pop rock bands like Nickelback and Green Day if I really had to waste my ears on either, because I absolutely cannot stand the latter while a lot of J-pop rock bands at least sound OK to me. I don't know why. Maybe it's because the Japanese have better melodies and less annoying vocals.

What emotions inside of you, or the music itself initially drew you to Japanese music (from Visual Kei, to Japanese Rock, to Japanese Indie, etc...) and has that list of emotions grown or changed over time as you grew, and discovered new bands?

Lyrics were (and still are to some extent) a major draw in when it comes to music to be since ever. When I first got into Japanese music, I'd check out Jpop because I liked the sadness and tranquility most singers expressed in their ballads, such as Utada. I always had a thing for weak/pitchy vocals, and soon after I discovered singers like Ryu of Pura, Gackt, Hyde and T.M Revolution all becoming my favourites. This is because of their themes in their songs such as loneliness and lost love are emphasized because of their 'broken' voices. Overall, the emotions are pure and devastating. Gackt never fails to make me cry on occasions, and I love it when songs can make me so emotional. I'd deal with various emotions like anger to these slower and quieter songs too. Another factor which has been evident since I first for into Japanese music was Oshare Kei; LM.C and An Cafe in particular. I think it's some of the most uplifting music out there, and it never fails to make me happy. My taste in this music hasn't changed at all through the years since I got into Jmusic really, I just got into more and more musicians, like 9GOATS BLACK OUT and other VK ones.

Do you find unique feelings in Japanese music that you can`t find elsewhere?

I don't give anything apart from Asian music a chance these days really. I doubt it's because of the Japanese tie in (like anime/manga, the culture, e.c.t) but more because of the language. I find the Japanese language really pretty and elegant, and that's why I think Japanese music has that charm I don't find anywhere else. Jmusic is now something in need every day, so I think it's unique to me in that I can't go without it too long. 

Do you relate more to the musicians or sound than other kinds of music? 

Musician wise, I can say yes. Never have I found a musician as interesting as Ryu from Pura. I think I can relate to him in a way. Nothing pulls me in more than lyrics and vocals though. The sound or music isn't too much of a big factor in what I enjoy either, even if ballads is more of my thing than anything. If the energy is right, and the beat catches me, then that's all I need. It just becomes more powerful is the lyrics are impactful. 

Sign in to follow this