fitear1590

The occasional "indie rock" influence in VK...

The occasional "indie rock" influence in VK...

It's pretty obvious that most bands in the current VK scene aren't influenced by "indie rock" stuff in the least.  Still, there are a few bands (mostly ones that dabble in pop-rock) that have pulled from those styles from time to time.  Here's the chance to discuss those groups/ songs:

ゾロ (ZORO) - 閃光 [2009]

It's mostly the solo that made me include this track, but I suppose if the song had less obviously VK vox, this could easily be from some indie band.  I do remember hearing this track back in the day and being completely taken aback that ZORO could produce this kind of stuff.

(later) 愛狂います。(Aicle) [2010/2011]
Crazy-ass Aicle may have turned to mostly ho-hum, watered down pop-rock before they disbanded, but they still had some tunes I enjoyed like these.  There's a definite indie rock influence in the music (even a math rock one in the first track).

Yeti [2013]
Yeti is more than the sum of their parts.  Despite having members from 4 different VK bands, they sound like no one else in the scene.  Rather than just the occasional song (or part of one song), the band on the whole seems to be channeling influences from bands like RADWIMPS and androp, with Satoshi's unique vocals on top.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32838985/Songs/01%20-%20door%20door.mp3

Chanty [2014]
The vocals are still kind of a giveaway of its VK origins, but musically, I can definitely see this being right at home in the indie scene.

Compared to ZORO and Aicle, who have only one or a few songs with this influence, Yeti and Chanty seem to be pretty committed to the style, incorporating it into their general sound.  Are they the start of a new trend?  Do you think indie/ math rock influences could eventually become a mainstay in the VK scene (much like pseudo metalcore is nowadays) or will it just remain a niche influence for a few groups?  Are any other groups using this sound?

Discuss!

Shouldn't you add Plastic Tree in too? Considering that they were/are still indie-influenced much longer than all those guys above. (they are still considered to be "vk")

/justsaying.

Knowing the vocalist of Yeti was from Aicle, I was disappointed after listening to their compilation album. I was expecting more or similar to Yeti sound.

I am going to try out Chanty, sound like they have potential but something seems off in the vocals

I hope indie sounding bands becomes a trend in VK. Yeti is probably the first band that hooked me on that sound.

I also like Umbrella

and Yazzmad, sadly no PV

I'd also say most "nagoya kei" bands are definitely indie/alt-rock influenced. Hell some of the 90's nagoya bands actually managed to produce some stuff that could remind you of Smashing Pumpkins and the likes

I would say that EllDorado, specifically in their latter stages had a strong "indie rock" sound, as evidenced by their "Flying Dragon" album. Which sadly, was also their most boring album. *coughcough not at all saying there is a connection coughcough*

This is the best example I could find on Youtube, but you get the idea. Of course the vocalist still sounds kinda vk-ish. But I guess it's no surprise that Yuuki went full indie rock afterwards with the very exellent GLAMOROUS HONEY.

Maybe some bands are alternative rock more than indie? If sounding like the Smashing Pumpkins and so on made one indie, and the Smashing Pumpkins were indie then a lot of 1990s mainstream rock bands would count as indie too. O_o Yet I understand that people still argue about the difference between indie and alternative rock. I get the general idea that, once a band becomes mainstream, it's no longer indie, especially when the band was from the 1990s.

I was listening to Chanty the other day. They do have a lot of potential but I have problem with the lead singer. It takes some time to get used to. I will keep an eye on them.

Nobody mentioned LIPHLICH, Yazzmad, Viru's and Scarlett? These bands' music can definitely be classfied as "indie" without having typical vk vocals or whatever. I dislike Yazzmad's vocals even more than Chanty's though. In fact, I can't stand the vocalist but that's just me.

You can call some of DIV songs and a band like Nobady's sound indie too since some 2000s Western "indie" bands also play electro pop rock with a 1980s influence.

I definitely see the start of a new trend from these indie-sounding vk bands. In fact, this trend has been going on for years, not that new but still not many bands do it. I am always happy to see more bands playing a different style of music than most. If they have a nice sound, it's good no matter they are vk or not. They probably get into vk to attract more audience or something. You can't deny that being visual kei can sometimes help them make good-looking and interesting music videos and it is a bonus.

I never really thought about it, but the majority of newer visual-kei bands I listen to are in on this "trend" (i.e. yazzmad, umbrella, etc).

Sel'm is so obviously alternative metal + metalcore. O_o I am not sure how not typical their guitar work is. But you do realize not all the bands have similar guitar work and that alone won't make them not alternative metal/metalcore.

Thanks for posting everyone!

I've never checked out yazzmad or umbrella and I've never even heard of SRASH NOTES GARDEN, so I have some catching up to do :D

Maybe some bands are alternative rock more than indie? If sounding like the Smashing Pumpkins and so on made one indie, and the Smashing Pumpkins were indie then a lot of 1990s mainstream rock bands would count as indie too. O_o Yet I understand that people still argue about the difference between indie and alternative rock. I get the general idea that, once a band becomes mainstream, it's no longer indie, especially when the band was from the 1990s.

I was listening to Chanty the other day. They do have a lot of potential but I have problem with the lead singer. It takes some time to get used to. I will keep an eye on them.

Nobody mentioned LIPHLICH, Yazzmad, Viru's and Scarlett? These bands' music can definitely be classfied as "indie" without having typical vk vocals or whatever.

I definitely see the start of a new trend from these indie-sounding vk bands. In fact, this trend has been going on for years, not that new but still not many bands do it. I am always happy to see more bands playing a different style of music than most. If they have a nice sound, it's good no matter they are vk or not. They probably get into vk to attract more audience or something. You can't deny that being visual kei can sometimes help them make good-looking and interesting music videos and it is a bonus.

I agree that some of the videos people posted are more generally "alternative".  I was more referring to the current sound that seems to dominate the Japanese indie rock scene (I'm terrible at describing music, but fast-paced, melodic and riff-oriented, with scratchy distortion, and some mathy influence, etc).  Haven't heard Scarlett before, but LIPHLICH and Viru's aren't exactly what I was thinking of.  Maybe "atypical" for VK (LIPHLICH absolutely falls under that category), but not specifically this indie sound, imo.

I've been looping Chanty this past week and the vocalist has grown on me, haha.  I liked him back in Administrator, but I had to readjust to his voice, since this band has a totally new style.  I'm keeping an eye on them as well!

I also hope it becomes a trend.  Lawd knows the VK scene could use any fresh influences it can find.