Rosebetz

Bands Disbanding

Hi i've search this thread and could not find it though, and becouse i have to write and essay i would like to know what you guys think and your oppinions. I've decided to write about why bands disbands so much lately, and becouse im a HUGE J-ROCK fan i just had to notice how many great bands disbanded these past few years, what do you guys think about it? Is it becouse the LABEL or is it personal reasons like the band always seems to write? Or is it really just that the band member just feel they wont to make different ways of music?And if so some of these Bands were really Popular so why throw it away? Let me know what you guys think.Thanks.

Well it's generally a case of:

1) no more money

2) no more ideas; euphemistically, the band "grew out of it"

Usually it's some combination of 1+2.

I doubt any band that takes their music and fans seriously will disband simply over a disagreement with their label.

Well it's generally a case of:

1) no more money

2) no more ideas; euphemistically, the band "grew out of it"

Usually it's some combination of 1+2.

I doubt any band that takes their music and fans seriously will disband simply over a disagreement with their label.

agreed. though the label thing is a little iffy because the label might be the reason why they are getting so little money (too little to live on, etc and the label might own the rights to the band name)....

some other reasons

1. it's a really tough schedule.
  2. actually, it's a really tough scene in japan. music in japan is dominated by idol groups. 
  3. if we're talking visual kei, then it could also be because they don't want to do VK anymore (I know of a couple metal bands who have guys who used to do visual kei...).

this can also be personal reasons for a member leaving the band, naturally.

Zoro: Vocalist and Bass wanted more electronic style. Guitarist and Drummer want to be more rock. Guitarist and drummer leave. Guitarist went to band Kra who needed a new member due to.the previous guitarist being seriously ill.

Malice Mizer: Vocalist said the band was blinded by money and wanted to be maknstream for the sake of being mainstream.

LC5, YFC, Karasu, THB: Temporary projects never intended to be long term.

X Japan: Disagreements between the band, and the bassist not being satisfied with the life of a star. They all already had side projects.

Luna Sea: Disagreement between members and supposed egos.

SuG: Temporary hiatus due to supposed discontent with their management.

La:Sadie's: Leader thought they were not ready to debut, band disagreed, they split.

Versailles: Vocalist did not believe the band had a meaningful direction, and followed in the footsteps of his mentor and idol by going solo. The rest of the band continues under a new name with new vocalist.

Ayabie: Band members did not follow the direction of vocalist once going major, so they split into a new band with a capitalized name.

Those are some of the top of my head. Check out the News section and search for.disband etc... Many stories by Trombe, esp. of bands splitting due to lack of attendance at concerts.

These days, when bands disband, all you get is this: the official message from a pretty much copy+paste template telling the fans to keep supporting the band until the end, followed by individual members who ritually lament the disband in a roundabout way, or long cryptic messages that effectively tell us nothing much at all.

I probably don't just speak for myself when I say that I get annoyed when, exceptional cases notwithstanding, bands don't really disclose the reasons for disbandment anymore. There is a difference between the officially published reason (if you even get one) and the real reason. For instance, the "differences in music direction" reason in 90% of the cases is nothing more than a smokescreen, especially when you find the members doing the same style of music in a later band.

Chances are that most disbands are reducible to much more practical/unglamorous reasons such as running out of money or the members got bored. Of course, there are also personal reasons e.g. pressure from family and peers, etc., as anakuro has rightly pointed out.

These days, when bands disband, all you get is this: the official message from a pretty much copy+paste template telling the fans to keep supporting the band until the end, followed by individual members who ritually lament the disband in a roundabout way, or long cryptic messages that effectively tell us nothing much at all.

I probably don't just speak for myself when I say that I get annoyed when, exceptional cases notwithstanding, bands don't really disclose the reasons for disbandment anymore. There is a difference between the officially published reason (if you even get one) and the real reason. For instance, the "differences in music direction" reason in 90% of the cases is nothing more than a smokescreen, especially when you find the members doing the same style of music in a later band.

Chances are that most disbands are reducible to much more practical/unglamorous reasons such as running out of money or the members got bored. Of course, there are also personal reasons e.g. pressure from family and peers, etc., as anakuro has rightly pointed out.

True , i remember some great bands like Despairsray,OZ, And Eccentric Agent they got same reasons what i dont understand is IKUMA from Eccentric they broke up now he has a New Crappy Band..., sometimes i just think there is one two members who dont like the direction of the band they go make another band which is crappy and thats when you last heard of them , but rarely the write stuff like other music directions and i dont believe that...

Well, first of all, and I hate to sound like a broken record because I say this everytime something like this comes up: bands have always disbanded in great numbers. It's not a recent trend. XD

I have been listening to jrock for almost 15 years now, and even when I was very new to the fandom, people were already complaining about all the great bands disbanding. And it has been like that ever since. I would even say the biggest surge of disbandments was 2000/2001, and it has been fairly constant since then. Each year there's a few "big names" that go away, and lots of lots of small bands. The perception that unusually many bands disband "lately" is normally subjective, especially when it hits several of your favourite bands. But that's just bad luck.

Now, for reasons of disbandments: a lot has been mentioned already, but I think it all depends a lot on how established the band is. A new band that just formed a year ago by a bunch of young dudes that just wanted to have some fun is probably more likely to disband over "small" things than a band that has been around for years already. And why shouldn't they? They're not really making any money at that point, it's more of a hobby, and if your hobby isn't fun anymore, you should stop.

A huge number of small new bands pop up every year, and many probably didn't really think it through enough, so they disband once they hit the first obstacle. Some members vanish from the scene, other go on to form different bands, but at least this selection only leaves the more dedicated members, so maybe their next bands will be more stable. Money is an issue of course too for small bands, but if you start a small indies vk band with the expectation of being able to live off your music anytime soon, you should probably just give up right away. XD

Bands that have been around for a long time and have decently sized fandom will probably not disband that easily, but if they do I guess it's mostly because after all those years they want to do something new.