Original Saku

The PS4 Topic

Well yeah like the topic title says this the PS4 thread.. Discuss anything Sony PS4 related here.

So who's getting one on launch? I decided to bite the bullet and plan to grab one at launch... This will be the first time I've ever bought a console on launch day, so I hope I don't end up regretting it (I doubt I will). What games is everybody planning on buying first? 

I plan on buying these with the console:

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (didn't want to grab this on pc, well because it's a port so... yeah)

Battlefield 4 (already have this on pc, but I'll be buying it on ps4 too because my little brother is also getting a ps4 at launch and I want to play this with him so...)

Killzone Shadow Fall (now this is the game I'm most looking forward to, Out of the entire launch line up this is the one that fits the word "next-gen" the best... First party and only available on this hardware, I expect good things)

I also might grab the new need for speed maybe...

Only two more days to go!

I plan on getting this system in the somewhat distant future, when it isn't as expensive and there are more titles. From what I know so far, I would like to get KH-3, FF-15, and I think there's a new Gran Turismo game as well (assuming they don't have cardboard cut-out people in the stands again like they've been doing since GT-2...srsly? Your cars are GORGEOUS and can't make better level details?). 

I pre-ordered mine during E3 (watched it live at home). Amazon shipped it along with Assassins Creed 4 out yesterday and will be here by Monday evening. I'm so fucking excited!

I'm super excited about the vita cross-play ability as well. I don't see why people are bitching about the fact that Sony has been saying it most likely won't play optimally over the internet when you're out and about. The fact that I can pick up my vita and instantly pick up where I was playing on TV is amazing, even just around my apartment.

Also. Gaikai. I'm interested in seeing how the service will play out. I am a bit bummed about a lack of backwards compatibility with PS3 games, but if Gaikai can handle it streaming to my console and it's a fair price, I'll definitely go for it.

yeah waiting for mine to get here in the mail right now, I'm pretty stoked.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the console too, so that's awesome. Yeah the cross-play stuff with the vita is gonna be awesome, and it finally gives me a reason to use my vita.. lol

I'm gonna wait for 2nd batch or 2nd generation. If anyone learned stuff from the previous gen systems, launch consoles will always have some issues.

^ While that may be true, you have to keep in mind that consoles still need early adopters to be able to strive and make it to that 2nd generation... so i really don't mind going ahead and opting in to the next gen :)

btw I got mine in the mail about an hour ago, and it is glorious, no problem so far

Yeah I've heard about the psn server issues, but you know that's to be expected... I mean there was over a million preorders in the United States, that's a lot of people trying to login to Sony's servers so yeah. What's funny is that I didn't have not one bit of trouble logging in to my psn account... while my brother (who also got one) couldn't login for a while which doesn't really make much sense because we're connected to the same internet and was both trying around the same time.

I am going to wait a couple months so that all the issues are pretty much ironed out. I initially preordered, but then the two games I wanted ended up delayed. Right now I am just trying to figure out how I can save the PS+ games so that I can have them once I get a PS4. They don't allow you to download them like they do for vita games. Trying to see if I can find a friend that is ok with me setting up my account on their system for a while.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to achieve Ito? Saving Playstation Plus games? The explicit reason why you can't is because... you're required to be a playstation plus member to play/access those games in the first place. As long as you are, you will not lose access to those games regardless if you're on the PS4 or not.

The reason why there's no backwards compatibility with the PS4 (currently) is because it's running on a completely different processing chip (it's an x86/64 chip now, so essentially its a highly optimized PC) than it's predecessors were. Older games we're not developed or designed to run on this CPU architecture.

This is one of the reasons why the Gaikai service is so important, and I am thrilled that Sony has kept backwards compatibility in mind and in a way that wouldn't limit what they could do with the PS4.

With that, I do wonder how they're going to handle the service when it comes out next year. I'm hoping that games that you've purchased through the PSN will be available for you to play without again paying for it through Gaikai. I think it's already given as well that any playstation plus games you can access, you'll be able to play without hassle via the Gaikai service (goes hand-in-hand with being a subscriber, no?)

I used to be a hardcore gamer during PS2 era, but now I'm completly lost. How does everyone play their old games? Do you buy them again from the ps online store and play them on your ps3? Will you be able to do that on ps4 too? I've been thinking about upgrading my videogames at home but I'm just too scared to get anything new because I really want to be able to play the old goodies XD

About PS4's releases, I'm highly disapointed. I went to a big gamefare here just 3 weeks ago and the PS4 corner was deadboring (IMO). But like mentioned Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts will probably be nice...

I don't quite understand what you're trying to achieve Ito? Saving Playstation Plus games? The explicit reason why you can't is because... you're required to be a playstation plus member to play/access those games in the first place. As long as you are, you will not lose access to those games regardless if you're on the PS4 or not.

Are you a PS+ member now? Cause perhaps you would have noticed a bit more as to how it works. PS+ games are offered to you for the life of our subscription, but only if you choose to download them. One you have "downloaded" them (all you need to do is start the download then cancel it), you can redownload them whenever you want. Usually games are available for about a month online, but once they stop featuring them, if you haven't downloaded them they are gone.

Q: If a game rotates out of the collection, can I still download it free with my Plus membership?

A: If you did not download the game when it was in the collection, you will not be able to secure your free download. However, if you downloaded when it was in the collection, but it’s no longer on your hard drive, you can visit the PlayStation Store and re-download it anytime, as long as you’re a member.

Yes. I am a member. I know how it works.

You don't need to access the store to download previously obtained PS+ games. On the PS3 just go to your transaction history (under the account section of the main menu) and you'll find all the games you downloaded there to re-download.

So I don't have a PS4, but I want to PS+ game that are coming to the PS4. The only way to "download" said PS+ games is to have an account on a PS4, which I do not. Make sense now?

i.e. right now Resogun and Contrast are free for PS+ members, but since I don't have a PS4, I can not "download" them to save them for later, so I essentially miss out on them, which blows.

OKAY.

I was under the impression that you were trying to download and "save" your previous playstation plus games in fear of losing them when you got a PS4.

I used to be a hardcore gamer during PS2 era, but now I'm completly lost. How does everyone play their old games? Do you buy them again from the ps online store and play them on your ps3? Will you be able to do that on ps4 too? I've been thinking about upgrading my videogames at home but I'm just too scared to get anything new because I really want to be able to play the old goodies XD

About PS4's releases, I'm highly disapointed. I went to a big gamefare here just 3 weeks ago and the PS4 corner was deadboring (IMO). But like mentioned Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts will probably be nice...

You can still play ps1 games on the PS3 if you still have physical discs or buy them digitally in PSN store. PS4 however will not be able to play any discs from previous generations. As for PS4 games, launch titles from any consoles are expected to be mediocre because..... reasons. I'll leave this article here. http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171008-ps4-reviews-are-in-why-do-most-launch-games-suck

As far as hardware goes, there's nothing groundbreaking here. I call it PS3 ver. 2.0, just better specs really.

Yesterday the PS4 randomly froze while I was trying to load Netflix, which is the only time that has happened. We have more issues connecting to PSN on the PS3 than on the PS4.

Five days in, and I'm still not having any issues with my PS4. I think it's safe to assume I got one of the "good" consoles, also I haven't had any psn server issues since the first night so that's great :D

btw just gotta say Killzone looks so fucking beautiful on this console, I'm just really impressed with visuals.

We haven't had any issues with ours, which came in last night. Though the wi-fi keeps dropping out, though that's not a problem with the PS4 but my router.

Here's a neat little fact for people: http://allthingsd.com/20131119/teardown-shows-sonys-playstation-4-costs-381-to-build/

they only make 18 dollars off of each console, that's pretty crazy.. considering apple makes like 200 dollars off of each ipad they sell.

Companies never make a justifiable profit off of consoles. They make their revenue off peripherals and games. This is the case for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

Console profit drives upwards after time when the parts needed to build them drop in price.

Man, I really wish Gran Turismo 6 was coming out on PS4 and not PS3, it sure would make feel a whole lot better about being jealous towards Xbone and Forza 5.