Aion

THE JAPANESE FOLK THREAD

MH's OFFICIAL JAPANESE FOLK THREAD!

Well, yeah, there's an indie thread, which is also awesome, it's mostly featured with indie-rock while other artists might be overlooked.

But yeah, Folk. It's a genre I started to appreciate in the last few years (read, since 2009 iirc). Anyway, I'm not talking about the traditional Japenese music but more singer/songwriter related etc. For example, Japanese versions of Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Mumford & Sons and the likes. Don't know how much appreciated it is on Monochrome Heaven, but it should get more appreciation as Japan has a very lively folk-community.

I've been listening less to it the last few months but I really want to get more intoo it. As such I've been relying on my older favorites and I hope I get some new recommendations like them in this thread.

As for my favorites, a short list

安藤明子 (Ando Akiko) (was also one half of くすぐる (kusuguru), but apparently that project stopped already)

柴田聡子 (Shibata Satoko)

無限マイナス (Mugenminus)

王舟 (oh shu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSOg0BwUaU

洞 (shibata, and yes, I know it spells hora)

This is just a small list of my favourites, which have been on my list forever by now. Got tons more, and might share them more in the future.

And now your favorites!

I don't know the scene (and the genre) at all, but my #1 is actually グラタンカーニバル (Gratin Carnival), wich is Mitsunaga Koreyuki's formation. The whole concept are smooth, minimalist, sometimes jazzy sometimes with really shy vocals. He have realesed 3 album: 2 demo mini, and a live album. Everything is one the download section, highly recommend !

And when i wanted to search something similiar on last fm, found these ones

oono yuki

This one is so addictive, the lyrics are sticky as hell, want to hear more, but it's impossible to find anything. 

Oh, and forgot to mention Izumiya Shigeru. I think he was my first crush within  folk scene. Love his lyrics, but only there are only two on youtube ._.

Oh, and does Shugo Tokumaru count? xD

Shugo Tokumaru has a lot of folk-influences, so yeah, it definitely counts in my book. Maybe you also might like GELLERS if you like Shugo. He is one of the members in GELLERS, and their sound is a mixture of genres, like pop, folk, experimental... I like it anyway =)

Oono Yuuki is also one of my favorites, and has worked with many of my favorites, like mmm/Maria Hato and oh shu

I love Shugo Tokumaru too! Such relaxing stuff.

Can you set me up with GELLERS Aion? I've been looking for stuff similar to Shugo for a while. My favourite album of Shugo is In Focus?, at least, so far. Not sure if he's got anything up for release soon.

Ya-Foo are gr888888888. there's almost nothing of theirs on youtube but they're deffo one of my favorite japanese folk acts.

たま (Tama) are also quite nice imo, they have this rustic sound which makes me think of the countryside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYvzLUgW_Q

I love Shugo Tokumaru too! Such relaxing stuff.

Can you set me up with GELLERS Aion? I've been looking for stuff similar to Shugo for a while. My favourite album of Shugo is In Focus?, at least, so far. Not sure if he's got anything up for release soon.

It's not that GELLERS is really like his solo-stuff, but you can hear the Shugo-influences for sure. Niw, send you a message with their two releases

Any fans still around? Mariahato finally released some new material after about 5/6 years, and it sounds pretty wonderful so far! I'm a sucker for almost anything mmm does, though. 

Speaking of which, her CD-R 'safe mode' surprisingly appeared on jps and I'm loving it!