Pandabear

Horror Movies

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead - A very nice Australian low-budget horror film with an original twist to it. Imagine if Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil and Max Mad: The Road Warrior had a baby. This would've been the child. There's just something very fresh about the film. Some really nice and silly, but original ideas that works out really well. There's some good special effects, but there's also some rather poor CGI, but I can see through that as everything else was good, some good actors and some spot on comedy that works really good in the mix

Bianca Bradey really impressed me. Was amazing!

Aside from the lighting being pretty bad at times I'm having troubles believing this only had a budget of $160,000. Money well spent!

wyrmwood-bild5.jpg?w=590

Housebound - I wrote a bit about this last ngiht and I'll write even more now. What a film, guys! Horror-comedy done right. Frightening, creepy, hilarious and full of suspense. Damn, this film was great! It twists and turn at every corner, leaving you surprised at what happens next. Newcomer Gerard Johnstone knows exactly what he is making and he is not afraid to play on cliches, make fun of them or just jump straight over the, something which is cool because you never know exactly what he's gonna do next. He also adds some very nice and unique camera angles to it all. Some shots is something that you don't see very often in films like this. It feels very original when you do something like that.

Anyway, Housebound is as I have already said a horror-comedy, and it mixes several genres together. It's part haunted house, part ghost story, part murder-mystery and part comedy, and it pays homage to the genres very well. And the actors are top notch. Morgana O'Reilly, which is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, Rima Te Wiata and Glen-Paul Waru are all amazing in their roles, and their comedic timing is spot on. The way they talk, and even move at times, are great and their facial expressions is at times among the best I've seen. Hilarious!

Top god damn notch film! 9,9/10

maxresdefault.jpg

Damn.. :(

Excellent list of modern horror recs btw, I'm gonna have to check out a couple of the ones I haven't seen yet.  Not really all that big on modern horror, but I'm still gonna give 'em a try for the hell of it. Good call on not including V/H/S 3 in that list btw, it was pretty fucking lame compared to the first 2 parts

Thank you. Heh. I thought about including a bit of into on the films as well, but I was in a hurry when I saw it so I didn't have the time. But yeah, all those are well-worth a look in my eyes. Both Housebound and Wyrmwood makes the last too with 9,5/10 and 8/10.

I haven't seen V/H/S Viral yet, and I don't plan to either. While I really liked the two first, the last one just haven't managed to win my interest at all. Weird, but that's how it is.

From Beyond the Grave - This is, as far as I know at least, the last in the line of Amicus Production's anthology horror films, and they ended their anthology run with a god damn bang! Excellent film with four rather long segments, which all are top notch.

Peter Curshing plays an antique shop owner, and the people who come in and steal/rip him off ends up with a less than enjoyable faith. It's hardly original like, but it's well-executed and Peter Cushing is brilliant.

The Gatecrasher - The first short is probably my favourite of them. A cold, chilling story that gives me a strong Mario Bava-feeling, which I really appreciate. There's something very gothic and almost Lovecraftian about the whole tale, and I really liked it. 9/10

An Act of Kindness - There's a couple of really creepy moments in this short, but it's by far the weakest here. It's an ironic tale which is a bit lacking on the horror-side of things, but it's very enjoyable. 8/10

The Elemental - A nice one with a very classic, silly exorcist tale in it. Silly, over the top and much, much fun! 9/10

The Door - A very Poe-esque tale that was up there with The Gatecrasher. Maybe just as good to be honest. A bit on the gothic side as well, and very nice. 9/10

So, great film! Well-worth a look and more.

xnpnTxoYetBBBelhzLLAUyuSRcS.jpg

7ecb99b7-f7a4-4386-88cb-086bcf723a8e.jpg

Italian Composer Fabio Frizzi will be joined on stage by his 8-piece Frizzi 2 Fulci Orchestra, performing suites from classic Italian horror films such as ZOMBI 2 (AKA ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS), SEVEN NOTES IN BLACK, THE BEYOND, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, MANHATTAN BABY and more. Orchestral performances will also be accompanied by live visuals derived from Fulci's iconic filmography.

Highly influential to this day, Fabio Frizzi is one of the most celebrated Italian film composers, and respected in the same iconic pantheon as Ennio Morricone, Bruno Nicolai, Goblin and Gianni Ferrio. Frizzi's influence has been cited by a vast range of contemporary artists ranging from Boards Of Canada to Wu Tang’s RZA, and he is heavily referenced by the rising stars of synth-horror including Umberto and Zombi. Frizzi's work also resonate with cinephiles as Quentin Tarantino used the theme from SEVEN NOTES IN BLACK for his soundtrack to KILL BILL VOL 1.

AUSTIN (the night before MondoCon)
Friday, October 2, 2015 from 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM (CDT) - Central Presbyterian Church
Ticket price: $40 General Admission Tickets are available here.

LOS ANGELES (as part of Beyond Fest)
Sunday October 4th, 2015 at 7:30pm – Egyptian Theatre
Ticket price: $28 General Admission 
Includes 35mm fully uncensored, director’s cut screening of THE BEYOND in scope.
Tickets are available here.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! That sound awesome.

Some recommendations for Lestat. A small list of horror films made from 2013-2015 that I think are worth watching, and I've included my personal score for them as well.

Zombeavers (7/10)

Honeymoon (8/10)

Creep (7/10)

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (9/10)

The Babadook (8/10)

It Follows (8/10)

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (8/10)

Stage Fright (8/10)

The Quiet Ones (7/10)

Frankenstein's Army (9/10)

The Sacrament (7/10)

A Field in England (8/10)

V/H/S & V/H/S 2 (8/10)

The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears (8/10)

Insidious & Insidious: Chapter 2 (8/10)

Rigor Mortis (8/10)

Stoker (8/10)

The Conjuring (8/10)

Warm Bodies (7/10)

Evil Dead (8/10)

I would add Oculus to that list. For me, it's a 9/10. Really well-done old-school horror scares (not relying on modern gore); kinda up there with James Wan's Insidious and Conjuring. Some of the best kid acting I've seen in a while.

So Wes Craven died. He's made a lot of shit over the years, but man, what a legend! The Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, Swamp Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Serpent and the Rainbow, The People Under the Stairs, Scream I & IV and Wes Craven's New Nightmare are top notch.

Yesss, I feel like so few people enjoy Scream 4, but I thought it was SO much better than 2 or 3. Such a cool "reboot"/homage to the brilliant first film.

I didn't like Oculus at all to be honest. I thought it was really poor, and thoughout the film I just felt like the director hadn't made up his mind with where he wanted this film to go. Didn't do anything for me.

Yeah, Scream 4 was a huge surprise to me. Didn't expect much, but it was great. Really did it for me. It's predictable and all, but who really cares when it's as well-done as that?

And I am just gonna add that Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a really underrated film. It's awesome!

Episode 14, Curiosity Killed - This episode marks the end of Tales from the Crypt season 4, and while it's not bad, it's such a disappointing way to end the season. Elliot SIlverstein, the director of this, previously made the fantastic The Reluctant Vampire from season 3, so my expectations were quite high. But this episode didn't live up to it. The characters and dialogue is both lacking, and it just didn't provide the fun it so easily could've. It wasn't bad, but it's mediocre for a Tales from the Crypt episode. 6/10

The Monster Squad - Rewatchd this today, probably for the first time in 15 years or so, and I am still digging it. It was actually a lot better than I remembered. Ok, so some of the make-up and rubber masks looks a bit shabby, but it's easily forgiven because everything else is so good. Imagine The Goonies meets House of Frankenstein/House of Dracula and you've got it. It's got that nice family adventure of The Goonies, and the nice horror of House of Frankenstein/House of Dracula, and it's an excellent combination. Like House of Frankenstein and Dracula it's an all-star films with plenty of known monsters, and Count Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, The Wolf-Man, The Mummy and Gill-man/The Creature (from the Black Lagoon) and even Van Helsing are a part of the film.

It's a lovely horror-comedy with a nice story, great atmosphere and a shitload of cool refrences to other classics. Fantastic film! That club house is awesome as well.

Really underrated film. Deserves a status as a proper classic.

4191568533_e40b397093_b.jpg

MV5BMjEyMzk2MjY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA5

Late Phases - A nice and original twist on the traditional werewolf tale. A horror-drama with some very subtle but effetive comedy thrown in. It's a slow burner, but it's really well-done and Nick Damici is excellent as the blind Vietnam vet and basically IS the entire film. The character reminds me of Eastwood's in Gran Torino. Anyway, a nice film with nice special effects and a cool story. The werewolf's does look very shabby and cheap, but it's easily forgiven because everything else truly rules. The film is a bit of a surrise, and I liked it a lot.

late-phases-nick-damici.jpg

Are any of the other Hellraiser movies besides the first one worth watching?

Are any of the other Hellraiser movies besides the first one worth watching?

I'd say the 2nd one is almost as good as the first, and the 5th (Inferno) and 6th (Hellseeker) movies are very decent too. I don't really get all the hate towards them. It's been a while since I last saw them, but I remember them as being hella dark and creepy. Granted, they don't really feature Pinhead or other cenobites that much (I think the scripts of one or both of these flicks were originally written as completed unrelated to Hellraiser?), but they capture the inner torment that's at the heart of the Hellraiser universe in a strong way.

(I think the scripts of one or both of these flicks were originally written as completed unrelated to Hellraiser?)

Correct. Both were originally unrelated to Hellraiser, but to save money they just decided to include Pinhead and the Cenobites to make 'em Hellraiser films.

I've browsed through this thread a few times before, but never felt like posting because of my small directory of seen horror movies.  I mean, I do enjoy watching horror movies for the most part, but I am obviously still missing a whole lot of titles, partly because after watching an unsatisfying one I usually stop or take a break.  But I will surely check those list of recommendations for 2013-2015 if I have time!  And I guess I might check out the 2nd sequel of Hellraiser after all since I really enjoyed the first one. (The lower ratings on IMDB made me back out on it.)

Also, any recommendations for a movie similar to "Jacob's Ladder"?  Atmosphere-wise?  At present that is probably my all time favorite horror movie and I am kind of sad that I might not find any other movie that ranks as high or holds the same kind of feeling.

^ If you liked Jacob's Ladder, I totally recommend Angel Heart, even though it's more of a mixture of horror and mystical thriller kinda. Just don't read a lot about it in advance, cuz you might spoil it for yourself. xD

Also, Carnival of Souls and The Jacket resemble Jacob's Ladder in a way, but more in the main 'thing', not the atmosphere that much (tho the former one comes close, and is still great).

^ If you liked Jacob's Ladder, I totally recommend Angel Heart, even though it's more of a mixture of horror and mystical thriller kinda. Just don't read a lot about it in advance, cuz you might spoil it for yourself. xD

Also, Carnival of Souls and The Jacket resemble Jacob's Ladder in a way, but more in the main 'thing', not the atmosphere that much (tho the former one comes close, and is still great).

Thanks!! I will check them out! I like how they're all pretty old too, even greater! : DD

I support Jigsaw's recommendations. That's the first three films that popped into my mind when reading your post as well. And David Lynch of course. I think there's something a bit David Lynch-esuqe about Jackob's Ladder.

Starry Eyes - Weird and bleak horror film that's a bit on the psychological side, at least for the first hour or so. The plot is very interesting, it's well-directed and acter and it's got a superb soundtrack. I'm thinking Dario Argento meets David Lynch here to be honest. I'm not sure what more to say about it. It was just really good, and the climax was suuuuuuuuuuuperb! This isn't your regular horror film, that's for sure.

By the way, did I tell you to be sure to check out the soundtrack? What a massive soundstack, guys. The score is immense!

starry-eyes-indie-film.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxp4UFoLbd0

I will haunt down that soundtrack on vinyl for sure. It was just too god damn good!

Guys! I started watching the Scream TV series and I got in the mood to watch horror "whodunit" movies in that vein. I have all the Scream movies (watched 1 and 4), All the Boys Love Mandy Lane and I Know What You Did Last Summer. Already watched Urban Legend a long time ago.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you mind old films? The 50's and 60's were great for whodunit horrors/thrillers.

Bear, I kinda prefer the newer ones, but I'm taking any suggestion, so shoot away! =D

Thanks!

I see, I'll do my best to stay away from that old films them. But here's a list of regular slashers and giallos that should please you (all films are the original ones unless stated different):

Friday the 13th

Prom Night

April Fool's Day

My Bloody Valentine

The Prowler

Sleepaway Camp

House on Sorority Row

Blood and Black Lace

Bird with the Crystal Plumage

Deep Red

Tenebre

The Girl Who Knew Too Much

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh

Opera

New York Ripper

Alice Sweet Alice

Black Christmas

A couple of older films on the list here, but if you like whodunits them these are a must. The entire list is a must for fans of horror in general, but I've bolded out my personal favourites of the lot. The best of the best. Blood and Black Lace and The Girl Who Knew Too Much ae both from the 60's, but these are awesome. Highly stylized, sexy and grim giallo mystery masterpieces that is as great as they look. These are the whodunit slashers of the 60's.

Bear, thank you so much! Gonna start looking for them now!

Friday the 13th is a classic, how could I forget it? Wanna watch it again, now!