Sign in to follow this  
Bunny

SCREW self-title album【SCREW】

tkca73930.jpgSCREW」初回限定盤A
#01 微笑みを亡くした愛と自由    [6.5 / 10]
    The 1st track of the album , sounds like Gazette-ish style ,
    a little bit surprise of their compose of this song ,
    not the style I am looking for to hear from SCREW , but not bad for the beginning of the album.
#02 Red Thread        [9 / 10]
    Hard selling title song from the album , I like it as it is not too heavy ,
    and the melody sounds better than the previous singles tracks .
#03 Bring It On        [7 / 10]
    Typical SCREW Heavy Metal middle speed track , 鋲's Death-Voice is back !!!!! Totally Love it !
    And the guitars are amazing in this song !
#04 XANADU        [3 / 10]
    Didn't like the single ,so there is not much to talk about !
#05 アウトキャスト        [6 / 10]
    Kind of a new sound from SCREW , in this song they sounds more like R指定 style ,
    I can imagine is they crossover cover each other track on this one ,
    guitar solo is great and speedy.
#06 明晰夢        [8 / 10]
    Another typical SCREW Heavy Metal track, just the style I Love from them ,
    2:21 - 2:31 the epic SCREW Your ears sound , LOVE it !!!!!
    鋲's Death-Voice on this track is even crazier than #3 Bring It On !
#07 enduring memories    [8.5 / 10]
    A fresh SCREW sound , I am not sure about the compose , eaither you love it or hate it from SCREW ,
    I do love this kind of style that they can bring down the heaviness of the album .
    2 Guitar solos would make a great live performance attention .
#08 マスカレード        [8 / 10]
    This track that reminds me of their album 「X-RAYS」 , nothing bad ,
    and great vocal (If he can sing the same in live would be amazing) .
#09 Get You Back        [7.5 / 10]
    Epic skills on guitar , speed metal guitar with very heavy feeling on the track .
    This is the song that I think everyone would shaketheir head , jump on their feet and enjoy the Craziness of SCREW.
#10 Teardrop        [4 / 10]
    Didn't like this single as well , as I think the ballad style is not suitable for his voice .

tkca73931.jpgSCREW」初回限定盤B
#06 DEVASTATED LAND    [7.5 / 10]
    「DUALITY」 style is back on this track , the Power of Heavy + Electronic , just the style they always be .

tkca73932.jpgSCREW」通常盤
#06 death candle        [7 / 10]
    1st impression of the song , DEATHGAZE's style ballad track , great compose ,
    love the bass in this song , very deep and round !
#08 EVERYTHING'S A LITTLE CRAZY RIGHT NOW.
            [8.5 / 10]
    The most excited track of the album , the fastest tempo and the bass in this track is epic ,
    all the instruments are great .

Didn't mention a lot about ジン's Drums , It's OUTSTANDING as always as ジン  is my fav. member from SCREW , I don't even have to say it out loud !

Finally , I will give this album a 8 out of 10 <3 They have improve their music a bit ,
I am glad that this album have their old style with 2 new sound style ! 

I am normally one of the people who cant stand one sentence reviews, etc. and i really tried to write a decent review for this album, but i just cant help it i am sorry.

most of the tracks are just sooo boring and bad. bad to the degree that i cant even properly write a review about these songs. they are just plain boring.

im not really a fan of SCREW anymore ,as i didnt like the recent albums and basically everything since vegas, venom, gather roses , etc. , but the singles from this album (xanadu and teardrop) got my hope a little bit up, because they were both rather good compared to other recent songs of SCREW.

i also liked red thread when the pv was first released, but sadly everything else on the album is so bad.

kinda enjoyed enduring memories. its a fun song, could be cool to listen to that at a live, but the other songs? so many things went wrong with them. all these weird "heavy" songs are just so bad.

sorry cant say anything more about this.

:2.0:

this doesnt desever more and thats just for the single tracks. without them i would rate it 0,5 or smth.

I was in the way to make this topic too :)

btw...

微笑みを亡くした愛と自由 (5/10)

A normal song for me, not good or bad just, normal.

Red Thread (8.5/10)

Really enjoy the song, it's the "perfect song" for the PV, that song calls my attention to SCREW again.

Bring It On  (6/10)

Again, a normal song... but with the epic guitars!

XANADU (6.5/10)

Yes, I like Xanadu, don't know why... just have some in special, maybe the beginnig.

アウトキャスト (10/10)

One of the best songs in the album for me, I like this type of music like Barbed Wire and Femme Fatale.

明晰夢  (4.5/10)

Only like some parts of the song, the begin and the final.

enduring memories (9/10)

Another song that I loved, don't calls my attention when I was listen to the previews, but the full one, is so good.

マスカレード (9/10)

Another great one.

Get You Back (5/10)

Epic guitars, would be better if was only instrumental, don't like the vocals in this song.

Teardrop (3/10)

Come on! I hate Teardrop, no more comments.

DEVASTATED LAND (10/10)

THIS IS THE BEST TRACK IN THE ALBUM! 

death candle (9/10)

A pretty good song!

EVERYTHING'S A LITTLE CRAZY RIGHT NOW. (1/10)

For me, the worst in the album, and look, there is Teardrop in the album.

Final Comment:  I think Screw is backing to the good times, but still need something (don't know what)...

DUALITY beats again!  \(^.^)/ ... Jin improve so much his skills on Drums, he is always getting better and better.

I do agree 「DUALITY」 is still the best SCREW's album <3

i always thought screw had potentials , talented sessions .

but its just one of those bands that are shadowed by vocalists' performance and style (like nightmare, born, etc) .

they all have excellent technique and style but once the vocals come out ... all i could think of is "oh right im listening to japanese music"

i cant really say the vocalists' singing style is 'wrong', but i always feel frustrated whenever i hear

him sing . a little "out-of-breath-im choking" feeling ? just like nightmare's vocalist is always

carrying on with his ridiculous vibrato .

simply put, my personal interest in screw has been deceased as soon as racial mixture came out

(i loved gather roses) .

but then again, ive got to say "enduring memoris" track is really nice . that chorus cant be made

much better than this . 

3/5 

i always thought screw had potentials , talented sessions .

but its just one of those bands that are shadowed by vocalists' performance and style (like nightmare, born, etc) .

they all have excellent technique and style but once the vocals come out ... all i could think of is "oh right im listening to visual kei"

i cant really say the vocalists' singing style is 'wrong', but i always feel frustrated whenever i hear

fixed that for you~

^hahaha

I can agree that Byou's vocals are a bit off putting, but don't say Yomi's vibrato makes him bad, his vibrato is what makes him stand out as a good vocalist. It's not as dramatic as Asagi's and once again, that makes Asagi an amazing vocalist. It's controlled, not just going up and down in pitch loosely

Anyways, onto the album. DUALITY was a great album, Biran had some moments but not enough, and now SCREW comes in. The singles to this album are much more preferred than the crapstorm that was BRAINSTORM (unintentional pun). We can't really say anything much about their sound with self-titled albums. Self-titled always sound completely different because they always try meshing old styles with their new. That never works cause all people want to hear are the old styles of the band unless the band sounds better now in which case they just want the new style. SCREW, however, didn't do so badly here. This definitely is a step up, and I knew it was going to be good because their last two singles were one of the best ones I've heard since Cursed Hurricane. Now that SCREW is major, they are getting a tad bit better, slowly, but surely, which is a great thing.

:3.5:

Currently listening to the album and I have to say that its good. SCREW has always been a favorite of mine and this album proves they still got it.

8/10

I usually do a track by track, but I don't have much to say about any individual song. Byou singing as the years go on turn me off more and more. It started after Duality. I feel his vocal limited range is just not good for these songs and he always sounds so like breathy...like he's out of air (I think someone mentioned something of that nature above too). This album isn't bad at all overall, but nothing truly great is on this album except maybe Red Thread and like 2 others. I will say that for every cool thing that happens in each song, there is something that sets it back (usually Byou's vocals).

Highlights -

Red Thread

death candle (a better ballad than Teardrop)

DEVESTATED LAND

Low Light -

EVERYTHING'S A LITTLE CRAZY RIGHT NOW.

Everything else falls somewhere in the middle.

3/5

this album provides little to love.

Teardrop is a really beautiful ballad, though they could have cut some "noise" and mix it more calmly, then it would have been perfect for me.

enduring memories is so pop and retro, with the 80ies bell-like sounds in the main riff. i like it.

now, we got XANADU, which is just a variation of BRAINSTORM, both songs even use the same key. try to replace XANADUs chorus with BRAINSTORMS'. works well in both ways hahaha. poppy and not bad but really just a self copy.

The intro track is interesting, but they could have make it much more dark and threatening, the compositions screams for it.

all the other tracks are totally forgettable. I dont know what people like about red thread. the riff is ok, but the chorus totally plain boring.

death candle has a nice piano, thats it. DEVASTATED LAND could have been so much more.

by the way i love byou's voice, it is so calm and discreet, always a pleasure to listen since vk usually is so noisy and loud.

he doesnt have any good technique and his range is minimal, but the colour of his voice is unique and so calming.

i always enjoy coming back to their songs, they have some good songs in every release, that makes them worth checking out.

3/10

I think their best album so far is X-Rays, which has a slightly different sound from latest albums (I only got into Screw recently). I am not unhappy with their newer sound. They don't have to release the same album over and over again. But half of the tracks on Duality and Biran are forgettable.This album at least is better than the previous two. I only don't like Teardrop and about two other tracks... Most Xanadu B-sides are actually more suitable to be album tracks.

Byou's voice is not powerful (also ballads don't suit him at all), that's why I listen to Screw to fall asleep. lol This shouldn't be a bad thing, depending on how he uses his voice.

Maybe most VK/J-rock bands shouldn't release albums so frequently to improve the quality of their releases. I think about two years for an album instead of one album every year is better.

Byou's voice is not powerful (also ballads don't suit him at all), that's why I listen to Screw to fall asleep. lol This shouldn't be a bad thing, depending on how he uses his voice.

Maybe most VK/J-rock bands shouldn't release albums so frequently to improve the quality of their releases. I think about two years for an album instead of one album every year is better.

If his voice isn't powerful, then that means ballads SHOULD suit him, not the other way around. If you fall asleep to it, then that also means his voice is good for ballads seeing as how when the voice doesn't match, the song loses touch and doesn't have the effect it wants to portray.

That's the Alice Nine album format. Everyone one of their albums (aside from the year difference between GEMINI and "9") were released about 2 years apart or more. They always ended up getting good feedback for it

If his voice isn't powerful, then that means ballads SHOULD suit him, not the other way around. If you fall asleep to it, then that also means his voice is good for ballads seeing as how when the voice doesn't match, the song loses touch and doesn't have the effect it wants to portray.

That's not always the case. Every vocalist is different. I never liked any ballads Screw did. Maybe it's not the singer, it's the melodies. Actually most good ballad pop singers don't have voices like Byou's. They are usually higher-pitched, with more range and more powerful.

Yet again, I usually don't like most ballads rock bands I listen to (including Western bands) have done unless they are really really good, with some twist and without sounding like a generic pop singer's works (Teardrop and Niji no Yuki by Alice Nine are examples of this type and I don't like both). That's just my personal preference. I remember being stunned by Saosin's first EP and first album. But when they did one ballad song on their first album, that song just failed miserably IMO.

If you want examples of good ballads by rock bands I like, check out the softer, slower songs by British band Rialto (such as Summer's Over, When Were Together, Catherine's Wheel), and Sometimes and There's a Star by Ash. Actually Ash did quite a few ballads. Almost all of them are good with the exception of something like Starcrossed (another example of sounding too much like a generic pop song). But you can argue whether the songs by those British bands are indeed ballads at all since their music is generally not hard.

I personally like the soft vocals + heavy hard rocking music combination, that's why I got into Screw. I just find this type of music can help fall asleep. Every person is different. I don't usually like ballads and never listen to ballads to fall asleep.

Sign in to follow this