Sign in to follow this  
Umi_Niwa

Jrock & Visual Kei PVs

Ehm, I don't really know how I am lecturing you when I am just stating my opinion and give my thoughts about the topic? Sorry if I happened to write so much text because I was inspired to write more about what I think about it and that my english skills make my wording appear like "I "have no sense of humour" >_> I didn't even say anything against you, so what's the issue?

Nah, I think you're fine Ikna. Also I agreed with you, you basically illustrate my thoughts perfeclty.

Kaggra, Birushana and even Onmyouza were "visual" bands that have been incorporating heavy use of traditional Japanese music into their style long before Miyavi put on some Kabuki pants.

I'm on my phone so typing is a pain in the ass but honestly I imagine it might be difficult to sell a traditional Japanese image and sound to young fickle Japanese girls. It's possible that it could be seen as something boring or old. While the bands modeled after Western trends will be cooler and different. Why were we all drawn to visual kei in the first place? It was different and exciting from what were used to seeing.

While there isn't really a story to this video I think Akikaze no kyoushikyoku is a great video. Despite being almost 13 years old, it doesn't feel dated and has a very timeless and classic feel to it. Raphael has some other great videos, some with more story than Akikaze but I felt that 

http://youtu.be/gZe2V1zlmbU

@Ikna

Aww, I wanted to post Kagerous videos, too and forgot. We seem to have a super similar taste.

Undercode often worked with VISUAL TRAP for Vidolls videos and VISUAL TRAP made La'Mules and Dir en greys early videos, too so that would explain it. And yes, there were lots of great ones I think...  F stein, 新聞マスコミ~ and Deathmate are some more favorites.

Uhn. Did they by any chance produce some for 黒夢, too?

Because I just noticed that while Chocoripeyes reminds me of Inspire by La'Mule (duh.) Deathmate reminds me of 十字架との戯れ by 黒夢.

http://youtu.be/PQ5AyubJOKc

http://youtu.be/x2LEWTSRbTk

Then there's also lots of similarities between Dir en grey's and 黒夢s videos.... Either way. Hot stuff indeed!

And don't worry.

I don't think anybody else here thinks of you as 'lecturing' or lacking sense of humour. In fact I always enjoy reading your posts on this forum because you don't simply just state your opinion but also explain in detail where you're coming from. You seem to know a lot and I always learn new things from you. orz

In fact I'm a bit surprised about how Umi_Niwa manages to specifically attack well mannered and profound users like you or Yuugi all the time.

I think there are one or two 'lecturing' or rude posts on here but certainly not from you guys!

@Arithmetica

I haven't watched Raphael videos in years (I do listen to them a lot, though) and that one is so beautiful. Thank you for posting it. ;O;

@hyura:

http://www.visualtrap.co.jp/vt/home001.html here's a list of VISUAL TRAP's works, seems like they started in 1995-1996-ish? 

Oh and yes, Kuroyume

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST-go57ut_0  (1994, btw)

I dig this PV's style, autobiographic-like or so. Matches well with song's "unwilling" theme.

and early miyavi's videos (along with 2001-2004 diru PVs) are like the main reason I sometimes wish this scene just died completely after 2005 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSZk4ZktUyU

girls be ambitious just has "flawless, timeless & divine" written all over it tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG1rjwG4GJE

♥♥♥♥ su sonrisa es hermosa ♥♥♥ me encanta ♥ miyavi ♥

@ Hyura

Well... we both like the old stuff and La'Mule. Guess we could be soulmates XD

I just thought I write a bit more not only to back up my claims and opinions, but also because this topic is very interesting. Once I'm into writing stuff about such a thing I can't stop with "storytelling"... Also that's why we have this discussion forum. We discuss thigs and that means people will just have different opinions and see things differently. I don't like the thought of not reacting what others have said and just smashing youtube video links in every post. It's more fun when there is an actual conversation.

Btw, thanks for the info about Visual Trap. Now I know why I like all these PVs, since most of them have been made by Visual Trap. i like the way they do the videos.

I also enjoy watching Kuroyume's early PVs. I feel 親愛なるDEATH MASK is quite similiar to 十字架との戯れ in the way it is cut and shot, it may even be the origin of all those fast, chaotic and totally crazy visual kei PVs.

Let's not forget this wonderful 90s gem, aka were Kyo got his inspiration from ;) Not the most excellent video of the band, but it's iconic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIoyE-E2V-E

And there's also Sick from 1994. I was watching that today and thought about Kiyoharu's children... what do they think when they see this PV with their father dancing in a dress with fake boobs? "Daddy, you have been a walking piece of fanservice"? lol, sorry, I am thinking too much about such things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKNKZQhTP5Q

I like Pierrot's PVs very much too. My fav is Mad Sky. It's a wonderful combination of visual kei craziness and surrealism and I love the setting so much. It's very well done (but so are really most of the band's videos)

@Ikna: They were always watching his father's lives (or so he claims) so I don't think they are somewhat "surprised/confused" about Kiyo's fanservice tendencies :D

Also, when it comes to on-topic things, is it me or is ICE MY LIFE pv referencing to meth (or the song in general) ? Blowing bubbles, vivid blue colors everywhere, white costumes and "freezer,  Kiyo going nuts in the mirror room etc.

Have to say that symbolism is certainly unique in many vk PVs - there are such PVs as Dir's "Ain't Afraid to Die" or Gazette's "Guren" where you get song's message easily across by interpreting elements used in videos. 

Never forgiving VISUAL TRAP for Different Sense PV though - live-action tentacle rape, tentacle hentai, cheap-o green screen...yeah I said it, CHEAP.

I just thought I write a bit more not only to back up my claims and opinions, but also because this topic is very interesting. Once I'm into writing stuff about such a thing I can't stop with "storytelling"... Also that's why we have this discussion forum. We discuss thigs and that means people will just have different opinions and see things differently. I don't like the thought of not reacting what others have said and just smashing youtube video links in every post. It's more fun when there is an actual conversation.

For sure, I prefer topics with more substance and depth than just a bunch of links and lists of things posted over and over. That's why I'm not fond of listing topics or anything like that.

Anyway, I had no idea that VISUAL TRAP did all those PVs. I always had thought that La'Mule and early Dir en grey PVs were very similar to each other and thought they may have contracted to the same company. So that's rad, I guess they really did!

I was going to start naming off PVs that looked like they were filmed and directed by VISUAL TRAP but here's an Italian wikipedia page that lists a bunch of them. :D

So yep, there's those La'Mule and Dir en grey PVs and also another I had suspected like SHIVER's PV HYPNOSIS but surprised to not see THE PIASS or anything from KEY PARTY like NeiL's DEEP ETERNAL and NOi'x FLOWERS. I guess with THE PIASS you can kinda tell that the production quality is slightly lower. I wonder if the list isn't accurate, probably not.

Either way, that's kinda cool. Also seeing bands on there I had no idea had PVs like HYSTERIC BLAME and Vasalla had a PV for D.N.A?? Wuuuuuut!

Never forgiving VISUAL TRAP for Different Sense PV though - live-action tentacle rape, tentacle hentai, cheap-o green screen...yeah I said it, CHEAP.

don't blame the production team, blame band management. that green screen looks so cheap because they can not afford the same production anymore.

you do realize that their epic vulgar era videos and horrid mess that zan remake, red soil and reiketsu nariseba pvs are done by the same director?

hiroyuki kondoh is still basically delivering most of VK PVs (I was surprised he worked with gazette on suicide circus recently) - http://blog.livedoor.jp/vt01kondo/

(his blog is never updating on time, tho - I already thought he retired a few years ago because no one bothered updating blog with new works for like 2 or 3 years)

Loooove Pierrot's 'Clear Sky' PV. It's so dark in comparison to a fairly upbeat song.

'Illuminati' is my favorite music video of all time.

Actually, most of Malice Mizer's PVs were absolutely amazing. (idc about 'Le Ciel' and 'Au Revoir')

Other faves:

'Blurry Eyes' by Laruku (which seems to have been taken off of youtube)

'Dune'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihzx1pgrm0

I just really like gaudy with early 90s hair, ok

Ehm, I don't really know how I am lecturing you when I am just stating my opinion and give my thoughts about the topic? Sorry if I happened to write so much text because I was inspired to write more about what I think about it and that my english skills make my wording appear like "I "have no sense of humour" >_> I didn't even say anything against you, so what's the issue?

That's fine by me, I just don't want to have a Jerry Springer show going on here. I opened this thread for fun. 

And I don't mind traditional elements being used, if that's what you're thinking. I just don't like the same way how everybody's doing it. In Kagrra's case I think it was done beautifully. 

Ah, I miss the days when music wasn't so commercialized.

That's fine by me, I just don't want to have a Jerry Springer show going on here. I opened this thread for fun. 

And I don't mind traditional elements being used, if that's what you're thinking. I just don't like the same way how everybody's doing it. In Kagrra's case I think it was done beautifully. 

Ah, I miss the days when music wasn't so commercialized.

Music has always been commercialized? Especially in the 90s when VK bands on major labels were a dime-a-dozen and there were multiple TV shows dedicated to showcasing VK(which are no longer around and haven't been for years). Compared to the VK of the 90s, today's VK is more underground(it just seems more "commercial" and wide-spread thanks to the internet).

I can only assume umi_niwa refers to the early attempts at screamocore, performed by catholic church during witch burning years

muzak can't get less commercial than that & more self sacrificing

dat dir en grey pussy kyo is a pale shade of his epic ancestors

I was going to start naming off PVs that looked like they were filmed and directed by VISUAL TRAP but here's an Italian wikipedia page that lists a bunch of them. :D

So yep, there's those La'Mule and Dir en grey PVs and also another I had suspected like SHIVER's PV HYPNOSIS but surprised to not see THE PIASS or anything from KEY PARTY like NeiL's DEEP ETERNAL and NOi'x FLOWERS. I guess with THE PIASS you can kinda tell that the production quality is slightly lower. I wonder if the list isn't accurate, probably not.

Either way, that's kinda cool. Also seeing bands on there I had no idea had PVs like HYSTERIC BLAME and Vasalla had a PV for D.N.A?? Wuuuuuut!

Thanks, I already wanted to say something about the Piass and how much they remind me of La'Mule. It's funny (but logical) how the similiar looking bands alle ended up with similiar band concepts and videos. Guys with neon or bright dyed hair in ripped and bloody clothes with lots of bandages and fake blood were the thing in the late 90s.

That nictine PV especially has so much in common with La'Mule's curse you almost think it's the same band or they are related.

I like NéiLs's Platina/Platinum. Just because the boys look so cool in it. When I was watching Shiver's PV I was amazed at the quality- until then (a short time after I came in contact with the old bands) I mostly knew good quality PVs from newer visual kei bands and Dir en grey. My first PV from an old school band was Madeth gray'll's Parasite *lol* And that was rather trash... It's really a shame that Shiver are no more. They had an awesome sound and look.

Yeah, I have to agree... Key Party bands really had the best PVs, considering they were just indie visual kei. I'd be interested about that Vasalla PV too.

Speaking of Laputa, I discovered the band through their PV for jakou. I was hooked immediately and thought that everyone looks so badass with their black coats XDD And I love Aki, he is beautiful. Of course with bigh 90s hair, he looks even better.

I am afraid this thread will explode with 90s and big hair nostlagia. Unfortunately I can't contribute more new stuff, as I am not so interested in modern visual kei. And I agree that Dir en grey's newer PVs somehow have less budget. I can't explain their dropping quality otherwise :/

And is that "visual kei today sucks balls" thing starting again? We already had this topic in other two threads. I think a discussion about it suits the Old vs. New Vk more than this one...

Maybe making trashy indie PVs is actually pretty cheap but doing trashy old indie PVs isn't really Dir en grey's thing anymore and so they're trying to do fancier looking videos which just results in trashy overproduced PVs? HA!

Okay okay, I'll post something more modern instead of being an old school fag and posting 90 videos.

Yet I thought Lynch's Ambivalent Ideal PV was really well done.

http://youtu.be/3v5rAWC8tMw

It's pretty simple, not flashy and over the top and suits the atmosphere of the song perfectly. 

Deadman also had really well done PVs. They weren't flashy and glittery but fit the song and style of the band perfectly, creating videos that aren't silly or outdated feeling.

http://youtu.be/hNrylQ4rfcc

@hyura:

http://www.visualtrap.co.jp/vt/home001.html here's a list of VISUAL TRAP's works, seems like they started in 1995-1996-ish? 

Woaaaah~

Thank you for the link. It's so interesting to see how many of my favorite PVs were actually made by them.

Also funny how the director added some anecdotes in their blog.

Like how he got drenched in somebody's blood while making ASH and later finding out that person had hepatitis. The hell.

Sign in to follow this