Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Annabyss Coast - 双対のカレント

Score :4.0: | Is VK experiencing a small resurgence or what?

So what happens the creative mind behind Reschwa Limize decides that he wants to start a band? Prior to the formation of Annabyss Coast, the answer was up in the air. It's not everyday that artists step into the visual kei scene. But now I can tell you that the answer is this. And this is good.

Annabyss Coast isn't your average half-assed visual kei upstart headed by people that rehash month old releases and can barely play their instruments. There's enough progressive elements, bass licks, well-utilized piano passages, and acoustic flourishes to indicate this band knows their goal. Annabyss Coast comes off as a mix of late-era Rentrer en Soi with the musical vision of a budget 9GOATS and the pop-rock feel of BAISER. The combination of all these elements results in a sound that's familiar but fresh, which is everything I could ask for from visual kei.

Shaky spots in some of the tracks reveal the band is still in it's infancy. The rhythm section isn't always in sync with the lead section - problems which correct themselves after a few seconds. For those that expect Satsuki-like vocals, you won't find them here. Vocalist Yasu can benefit from some lessons but he gets the job done. Once the band learns how to play off one another's strengths, I expect these minor quibbles to disappear.

Sotsui no Current is a great surprise coming from a scene I continually underestimate and do not expect much from. This may be one of the best, most underrated music VK releases of the year.

Guest mitsubana

Finally got my copy of this minialbum in the mail today.  Since I got home, I've been listening to it nonstop. Just...amazing!!!! I can't really think of any visual kei bands recently that have such an impressive first release like this...especially one that's more unique in my opinion in what you find in the modern visual kei scene. Of course, there's always room for improvement (vocally and musically), but a very solid release nonetheless.

Wish I was better at reviewing music, but I feel like Zess said it all.

Worth a listen!!! 

Sign in to follow this