Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

DOPPEL - エッグノック (EGG KNOCK) Review

DOPPELeggknock_zpsae4bb896.jpg

First of all, I’ve never really listened to DOLLY (but I’ve heard great things about them!), so I don’t have much to compare DOPPEL to.  This was one of those rare “blind purchases” for me, where I wasn’t familiar with the band members or their previous work, but I went on my gut feeling of really liking the PV preview and some song snippets on Amazon.jp.  In any case, I’m thoroughly enjoying this release!  “-胎瞳-“ is a pleasant little SE track.  Nothing to write home about, but it does set the mood well.  “エッグノック” starts off like an old Moran track (the style that I love): prominent basslines, airy piano, lovely violin.  I don’t know how much to attribute to the compositions or the great guest musicians, but the music is beautiful.  I’m also enjoying Mitsu’s voice!  Like I said, I’ve never listed to DOLLY before, but Mitsu has one of those highly exaggerated "VK" voices, but in the good way.  “Anemθne” has a great funky beat to it and some cool guitar riffs.  Once again, some great musicianship.  “Till” amps up the electronic elements.  It’s a combination of a very dance-y beat in the foreground, with some beautiful twinkly bleeps and bloops in the background (kind of reminded me of the group neue nahel’s take on electronic).  However, I’m not AS keen on Mitsu’s singing in this song; sounds a bit strained (or restrained?)…  Still a very solid track.  “-朔剥-“ is another SE track, this time combining heavy beats and some faint piano chords.  “MOONLIGHT xxxx” is a worthy closing track.  It opens with a very video game-y synth line, before going into some pretty piano.  As the song builds, it introduces all kinds of elements like some string arrangements giving it a “grand” feel, as well as a beautiful acoustic guitar solo. 

My favorites are definitely “MOONLIGHT xxxx” and “エッグノック” and they exhibit a kind of feel-good, yet mature, well-composed pop.  The songs are very pretty, “pleasant,” and easy to listen to in a “pop” sense, but there are also creative compositions with many layers of piano, strings, and synths.  I’m looking forward to what this group will do next and I feel like I also need to peruse the DOLLY discography in the meantime.  Also, from a purely visual perspective, I think the band has a unique aesthetic, from their costumes to their booklet design.  DOPPEL is definitely a band to check out!

:4.0: 

This has everything I always loved from Dolly late works, which in my opinion is a vk take on the western recent dance-pop-rock trend. What makes them stand out is the always awesome guitarwork, Yuina is one of the most talented musicians on the scene today, he's composition style is really distinct...

Fave tracks are EGGKNOCK, and Anemone, with Moonlight close behind. Totally recommended!

I really like this mini-album. I haven't listened to Dolly since their first single, so it was nice to listen to this CD without any solid background on the member(s). It's nothing mindblowingly good; I'd say it's just really damn pleasant. Everythings flows very well and it doesn't get boring in any moment, even in the SE tracks. Favorite songs are エッグノック and Till.

Sign in to follow this