Sign in to follow this  
KazumaFujiwara

Dragonforce

Guitar Hero hype aside, DragonForce rocks. If you disagree, Im pretty sure that lightning will kill you.

It may be cheesy, it may be overdone, and it may never dip below 200bpm. But DF is true to their art, and dont shy away from making fun of themselves. Few bands really show the joy that they have in doing what they do like DragonForce can.

:gaga: Plus, Ive dropped about 25lbs over the past 4 months on a drumming regiment that is about 30% DF, so forget the Jazzercise, time for DragonCise! :urg:

Unfortunately, I know a lot of people who take this band seriously.

I take them completely seriously. They are hella-talented dorks; extremely disciplined goobers.

Most of the flame wars that errupt over them are from frustrated and jealous musicians who are upset that the band makes it look so easy. I know I want to break Dave Mackintosh's legs sometimes! :evil:

I think anyone that takes any band "seriously" is unfortunate. Any band that takes themselves seriously is utterly lame. Its entertainment, and its all for show.

Everyone looks for reasons to hate this band, most of the time, I find they are frustrated musicians who are mad about such goofy guys having fun and making it big playing music.

I would like for someone to point out bands that dont write repetitively. Unless you change the lineup every song, you are going to have patterns of influence on the style. This is true with any band from any genre.

Fact is, DragonForce has made metal accessable to a whole new generation through their pop appeal. That is a HUGE service to the metal genre. They did this without having to sell-out their style and go totally pop just to get mainstream attention. (Lacuna Coil, Disturbed, Apocalyptica, etc...) DragonForce was getting plenty big in the metal world before Guitar Hero, but now that they are famous from that, everyone is out to pick sides as fanboys or trolls. I say its ok to be in the middle and either listen or pass.

I for one dig them, and love the workout I get on the kit. If you think their drums are repetitive, you might want to avoid the entire genres of death and black metal with their blastbeats. Better yet, you should likely avoid anything at all that isnt Progressive, as 99% of what I hear on the radio uses 3 to 4 different basic kit patterns. Its all repetitive.

I would like DragonForce more if all of their songs post Sonic Firestorm didn't sound like carbon copies of one another. This is the one band where I can truthfully say that all of their music sounds the same and it's to the point where I can't listen to either of their last two albums entirely in one sitting because I get bored. It's more than just "similarities" to me. A lot of their songs follow the intro -> first verse -> guitar wankery -> second verse -> chorus -> guitargasm and EXPLOSION OF CREATIVITY -> another chorus -> explosive ending. I actually would like them more if ZP wasn't their singer because he gets on my nerves a lot. I just feel like listening to ZP for three minutes is the tradeoff for then being able to enjoy the massive amounts of talent that you can find in the middle portions of all of their songs. That's usually where all the goodness is.

Their first two albums were great though. Then I just like particular tracks from Inhuman Rampage and Ultra Beatdown (most notably E.P.M., god that track is sick). Everything else...I don't know. It just doesn't click for me.

First note, you might check the upcoming album. ZP is gone! :hyper:

Yes, the new guy is still in the same vocal range, but from what tiny bit Ive heard, he isnt as nasaly about it.

As far as their composition copy and paste, its really like that with a majority of non-prog music though. I can see how one gets exhausted from the energy drain it takes to really focus on their tracks. Its as much about the endurance of 180-210bpm for 7 minutes, as it is about musical dynamics.

That said, its certainly not for everyone, I just feel its unfair to call them out when most bands have a fairly small dynamic range in their song construction. Ill take an album of DF over 2 songs by Nickleback or Shinedown... once someone convinces me its not the same band in different clothes.

I dont think its so much that Herman Li is "overratted" so much that other guitarists are underrated. Li is a master at his art, and deserves that credit. Its sad that many others dont get the same credit, but that doesnt nullify his.

I heard that ZP was gone! I wonder why he left.

And I can't disagree with that. One of my favorite bands of all time is Mono and they are so guilty of doing the same exact thing. Other than what you mentioned, I can't think of any reason why I can tolerate Mono and not DragonForce for more than one song.

and ew, nickelback.

Wooo, I like them. My favorite song of theirs is Where Dragons Rule, even though I knew DF because of TTFF. Oh, and I like a song of theirs that was on NHL 10, but I can't remember which one was.

EDIT: It's Heroes of Our Time, now that song was FAST! XD

I used to like Dragonforce but got sick of them after a short while,

The lyrics were so bad and so similar in each song.....very cheesy too.

Anyone check out out their new album? The new singer can definitely hold his own. I like how they went easy on the keyboard and all the crazy effects and brought the attention back to the guitars. It was a good move on their part and does wonders on their songs.

Sign in to follow this