Sign in to follow this  
Karma’s Hat

Emperor ( also Ihsahn and Zyklon. )

Thread for the oh-so awesome Norvegian Black metal band, and it's spawns. Ihsahn Solo career, Samoth's and Trym's Death metal band Zyklon.

I shamelessly stole that ( v ) from their Last.fm wikia

Emperor is an influential Norwegian black metal band that represents a synth laden, progressive yet brutally aggressive and chaotic part of the genre, something quite different from the minimalism of other originators of the Norwegian black metal sound (e.g. Darkthrone).

The band was formed around the core members Samoth and Ihsahn of the death metal band Thou Shalt Suffer and bass player Mortiis in Notodden, Norway, 1992.

They released their critically acclaimed and widely influential debut In the Nightside Eclipse in 1994 after being joined by drummer Faust and having replaced Mortiis with Tchort on bass.

Around the same time as the release of the debut, most of the band's members are arrested on various accounts (drummer Faust for murder and arson, guitarist Samoth for arson and bassist Tchort for burglary).

Two years later, after Samoth's parole, the band released what many consider to be their landmark achievement, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, having invited Enslaved's Trym Torson (Kai Jonny Mosaker) to man the drums.

Emperor went on to release two more albums (IX Equilibrium in 1999 and Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire and Demise in 2001) before splitting up in 2001. A live album titled Emperial Live Ceremony was also released in 2000 as both video (VHS / DVD) and CD. And, in addition, a "best of" double CD titled Scattered Ashes: a Decade of Emperial Wrath was released in 2003.

Any other fans around? :)

Just in case you haven't heard anything from them yet, Curse you all men!

If for some reason you didn't like it, there is something wrong with you. But! Still check out Ihsahn Solo which is far more progressive and... avant-gardeish? A Grave Inversed and

While Emperor were awesome, I vastly prefer Ihsahn's solo stuff. Miles better. Never really liked Zyklon.

While Emperor were awesome, I vastly prefer Ihsahn's solo stuff. Miles better. Never really liked Zyklon.
The funny thing is, i don't care for Zyklon that much either. Mostly sounds like your average 2000's Death metal, atleast to me. They have good songs though, just don't feel like coming back to their stuff. If that made any sense :D

Zyklon's only good album was World ov Worms, and the only big reason why I say that is because Garm did some clean vocal work on one song. Lol.

Ihsahn's solo work on the other hand is pure amazing.

Emperor were really outstanding. Sad to see, that they broke up, just when they started to sound far more mature. Zyklon was never my Cup of Tea and did not match Ihsahns Abilities.

I love his Works with Peccatum and his actual selftitled Project, which is no Black Metal but a more amazing Sort of progressive, avantgardish Type of Metal. "After" is a brilliant Album! Some may think its boring, because they can´t find access to his Music. But for those who love progressiv Music, its a real Offering.^^

To make it short: Ihsahn is a God among Gods. :banjo:

I love progressive music but I think Ihsahn suck and I think Emperor got even worse when they went progressive. Garbage!

To make it short: Ihsahn is a God among Gods. :banjo:

Indeed.

I must admit I never tried Emperor (or Zyklon), but I love Ihsahn and Enslaved (especially the RUUN album), so I shall give them a try.

For Emperor you should try out Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. I hate the album, but I am sure this is the album you'll like the most. Not as "harsh" as In the Nightside Eclipse and not as progressive as the albums to come later. You'd love it.

Sign in to follow this