Sign in to follow this  
ficsci

present day youth culture

Honestly I'm not very in touch with the rest of the world. Maybe a part of it is because the college I'm going to tends to have a population that does not correctly represent the rest of the mainstream world (e.g. disproportionate number of hipsters). Anyways, I was wondering, what is "the" youth culture of the present day? Is it hipsters? It seems that the change in trends, at least from around the 90s, was something like:

goth --> punk --> emo --> scene

Of course it's not totally linear, but I feel like several years ago such trends seem so clear.

Or... don't tell me that being a Jrock or anime or a Lolita fashion fan is the new "youth culture of the moment" (o__o)

Or perhaps it's being a K-pop fan

I'm just curious about these stuff in general, thinking of whether those almost-linear trends in the past may have been influenced more by television (which is probably dying along with MTV... even more so than it already did before), and perhaps the increasing popularity of East Asian culture may be partly because of the increased number of Korean students who study abroad, lol.

What do you think? :)

Justin Bieber. SWAGGIE~!! :lol:

Yes seriously.

Anime and Japanese music mostly just a phase for many teens especially VK music.

Those that lasting and have many listeners around the world are Enka music.

Don't even recognize it as a worldwide trend because it isn't as infectious as we thought. Matter of fact, in general, language barrier is one big problem.

However Japan is attractive for everyone because of their culture, foods and fashion.

Though very little are really into it.

Not many of so called enthusiasts that really can differ type of sushi and how to eat it for instance. Many just understood sushi is seafood served with special rice that already mixed with vinegar and not more.

And many still eats it with wasabi that they mixed with the soy sauce which in Japan will cause everyone to sneer at you.

Well most people I'm in college with are not very different from the ones you described. Sometimes even bigger asshats, but that's besides the point. I can't really answer the question since I'm kind of cut of from today's youth culture.

Asian culture isn't really big here in my country. They're still so immature to make jokes about the shape of their eyes, I mean seriously. All we have is the regular Chinese people with restaurants and a few Asian markets. When these people hear you're interested about their culture they're usually very nice, because not many people here are interested by it.

I am talking about Finland all the time unless another country is mentioned.

Overall, Asian culture isn't visible yet in backwoods countries like Finland, but the growing east-Asian community here is definitely affected by what's going on in places Korea, even though you would be able to count all the Koreans in Finland with two pairs of hands. A sort of "global Asian culture" has born some time ago and now I seem to stumble upon stuff like "ASIAN PRIDE YAY *some Korean phrase*" ( its okay 2 have pride bcuz they r not white&straight ) even in the most unlikely of places, and it's very commonplace in social networking sites. For now it seems that the movement is of 80% Korean and 20% Japanese cultural influence, although this ratio will alter with time depending on who's music is in at the moment and so forth. This may not be new phenomenon in places like the US, but it certainly is in Finland.

As for those of Western origin, they are pretty much all except for two dead in here. Scene is dying, goths barely exist, weeaboos dwell within their own circles and most of them look like regular folk now, which could be because of the Kpop influence which involves a more casual style. Punk however will stay because it has an ideological base and thus stronger, coupled with the fact that actually good music has spawned from it.

Metal is most likely much more prominent here than in anywhere else in the world and it has come to the point where it's not in or out, it will be here in the same numbers for as long as nothing big happens.

"Indie" culture is the thing now with the ethnically Finnish middle class, but it's the hardest to notice because it blends so well with the standard Finnish street fashion. It doesn't make noise or look weird, and while their music may suck, I barely even notice it's existence as it is the most down to earth of all of these movements. I wouldn't say that they are hipsters, but the influence of the myth of hipsterdom is clear to the style and the music they listen to. Yet I don't want to recognize it as a movement since it's so casual and totally lacks the tribal like aspects of other youth cultures and is filled with people who just like the style and fuse it to their own.

I don't think that there's a single youth culture that is clearly the thing right now. All of them are either dying, marginal or too casual to be even considered as a separate culture from the regular ol' folk, unless we are talking about the biggest minority groups who pretty much all represent the youth culture that is is most commonly attributed to their people.

I hope visual-kei comes back though! :D

Sign in to follow this