Sign in to follow this  
Asakusa

Discrimination and Nazism in Chile

SANTIAGO – Removed from the induced coma today, Daniel Zamudio should wake up in three or four days, according to the expectations of the medical team of the Posta Central hospital. The 24-year-old man was brutally attacked last Saturday in the capital Santiago, allegedly by a neo-nazi group. Swastika marks were left on his body, and the crime is considered to be driven by homophobia. Despite all his injuries – severe head trauma and a broken leg – Daniel will have no sequelae according to the doctors. Sequelae are pathological conditions resulting from disease or traumatic injury.

The family is relieved and very happy, according to the general secretary of the organization Movimiento de Integración y Liberacíon Homosexual (Movilh), Alberto Roja. “It is a great happiness that Daniel has the strength to recover quickly. Only when he wakes up will he realize the severity of the attack he suffered, but he will also see that thanks to his case, the whole country has mobilized to quickly approve the law that ensures punishment for the discrimination of sexual minorities,” said Roja to I Love Chile.

Since 2005, an anti-discrimination law has been analyzed in Chile. It was already approved by the Chamber of Deputies as well as the Senate last November. However, the law has still to complete a third step and be approved by a mixed commission. This week, the Senate signed an agreement asking the government to guarantee that the process will be faster from now on. The text asks the government to “urgently process the project of law that sets out measures against discrimination and the incitement of hate”.

In the last decade, 17 homosexuals were murdered in Chile. In total, 837 episodes of homophobic discrimination were registered in the country, 66 of them with physical aggression, according to information from Movilh. In the most of the cases, no culprits were found.

The case of Daniel Zamudio has no suspects at the moment. The police do not know who or how many people attacked the young man. This afternoon, Daniel’s parents had a meeting with police authorities, to go over details about the investigation. Today the regional governor of Santiago, Cecilia Perez, announced that she will seek to prosecute Daniel’s attackers for the crime of “frustrated qualified murder”. Moreover, Movilh is going to send a letter to the Justice, requesting that the investigation be as fast as possible. The organization also sent a letter to the President and to the Interior and Security Ministry of Chile, asking for a meeting.

The aggression against Daniel Zamudio has also reached an international audience. Newspapers such as The Washington Post and the Huffington Post published reactions to the case, and the singer Ricky Martin demonstrated his support to Daniel and his family on the social media site Twitter.

“No more hatred, no more discrimination. I hope that justice is done NOW. Lots of light to Daniel and his whole family,” he posted.

I hate all this shit happening in my country...

Daniel died today...

and these "neo-nazi" fuckers were judged...

what's the problem with the people!?

we're living in the 21st century for god's sake!!

for god's sake!!

you do realize that from most of obsessed Christian's point of view those dudes did the right thing, since gays don't use seks for procreation and thus only indulge in sinful pleasures?

that's a horrible story and stuff, but I'm not really surprised.

rip poor dude.

for god's sake!!

you do realize that from most of obsessed Christian's point of view those dudes did the right thing, since gays don't use seks for procreation and thus only indulge in sinful pleasures?

I do not belong to Chistianity or any other religion but I think you are pretty wrong. Chistianity encourages to forgive, tolerate, and feel compassion, not to beat up to death the sinful people.

Neo-nazi attacks are not that rare here in Spain either but I have not heard of such a case like this one since a really long time.

May Daniel Rest in Peace.

Shit like this pretty much happens worldwide. :/ Hell America still can't get over skin color and we have a black president and cops are shooting little black boys that go to the store for candy because they look suspicious. Just five years ago I got attacked for being gay.

^ I'm sorry to hear that Maiku. Someone once asked me why I was friends with sinful people like gay men :/ dafuq

I do not belong to Chistianity or any other religion but I think you are pretty wrong. Chistianity encourages to forgive, tolerate, and feel compassion, not to beat up to death the sinful people.

and, ironically, the most homophobic societies are the one most obsessed with Geezus, because Bible provides enormous opportunities to judge others based pretty much on everything, but gay people have a special place in every Chreesteahns heart.

Modern Russia is about as batshit religious as any mormon community in the US - and levels of homophobia (and passive homosexuality, that often go hand in hand) are alarming here.

at the same time, I've been living in the largely Buddhist Thailand for the past half year or so, and I've been super amazed by amount of openly gay people and variety of lgbt community here, and how no one really gives a fuck when two guys are making out openly outside of gay-only venues.

at the same time, I'm often browsing expat websites, and pretty much every gay-bashing thread is either started or fueled by 50 y.o. Aussie/Brits/redneck rejects, often ex-navy, who can't accept their own vigorous itch in the butt and morning cock craving.

and than goes don't ask don't tell, school bullying, etc etc etc

just because you don't see something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or I'm wrong doing my bitter and mean generalizations.

Shit like this pretty much happens worldwide. :/ Hell America still can't get over skin color and we have a black president and cops are shooting little black boys that go to the store for candy because they look suspicious. Just five years ago I got attacked for being gay.

if you see two black kids on a bike, lock your bike in the garage (too lazy to look up actual Tina Fey phrase here), so this part is not so undeserved, let's be fair.

I hope morons who attacked you die of aids they contract blowing some married closetqueen, though.

Any obsession with any religion or life-defining idea is a really a fertile land for discrimination to any degree imaginable. Over-inmersed Chistians are no different but in my experience I heard the worst news comming from other colectives.

What is really annoying about this whole Bilble thing is that although it has been re-written countless times, the old, stupid and clearly most primitive man guide-to-life kind of phrases remain as a part of the cult when it's clearly bullshit.

I am a straight guy, so, yeah I've never been bullied in chool o college for my sexual condition, never got interested in homosexual bashing internet threads or suffered in my own skin but I am well aware of the kind of things and attitudes that happen regaring this theme. But as well as I am not happy with your generalization and your deliberated wrongness. There is much to be critisized about Chistianity as a institution and as doctrine. But Chistians themselves are individual persons that live their cult differently.

I understand that most of the ideas that the institution itself are regreteable and dusty attitude they show regading this and many other subjets are hate worthy but none of them apply to the whole chistian community, formed by millions of individuals that make their own decisions.

Talking about the original subjet, never will understand the need of some people has the need to harm people just because the live their lifes differently or posses a diferent cultural or racial identity.

If you are going to beat someone up do it because he is a scumbag and deserves it as an individual because of his own choices. Not because his existencial conditions.

^ you're strongly and redundantly disagreeing with something I have not implied with my post ( -s), and take a lot of context out of stuff that I type.

but your white horse looks gorgeous today.

Jesus is supposed to be a symbol of love for the fellow man. And that is totes cool. We are all human. We are all family. We are all one. That is what people are supposed to learn from Jesus. But no. Christians get confused somehow and hate. I don't get it. :/ It's like this story about this guy who is the symbol of love and human compassion totally did not get understood by a large group of humans. I see the bible as a tale to get people to live morally and lovingly. I guess things just get misconstrued.

But no. Christians get confused somehow and hate. I don't get it. :/ It's like this story about this guy who is the symbol of love and human compassion totally did not get understood by a large group of humans.

I think, in fact, that the message is missanderstood by a small group of people. The problem is that peole are the ones in charge to offer a somewhat canonic interpretation of that teaching that most of the people sadly follows.

Jesus is supposed to be a symbol of love for the fellow man. And that is totes cool. We are all human. We are all family. We are all one. That is what people are supposed to learn from Jesus. But no. Christians get confused somehow and hate. I don't get it. :/ It's like this story about this guy who is the symbol of love and human compassion totally did not get understood by a large group of humans. I see the bible as a tale to get people to live morally and lovingly. I guess things just get misconstrued.

The thing that we aren't mentioning here is that most Christians (judging from my experience living in America at least) are hardly actual Christians. They don't act any different than every other person, but what does differentiate individuals is their personality. I have seen Christians get shunned by other so-called Christians for bringing a bible to school. These people are simply massive hypocrites.

Also there are different types of Christianity, some teachings of it being far more corrupt than others. Some of the nicest most amazing people I have met were so-called christian, and some weren't. Some of the meanest people I've met were so-called Christian, some weren't.

Sign in to follow this