fitear1590

Help! Where should I start listening?

^ If you guys would like, I can upload those albums tomorrow. :) (downloaded them a long while ago but dunno where from)

The links I found were mostly on Megaupload. Would be really great if you upload them to MF. :D

For "first-timer" noise: Merzbeat (it's hip hop-inspired noise but still, works as a great introduction to his style) or Merzzow

For "harsh" noise: Venereology

That's all I can suggest.

I got into Merzbow through Dharma, and it's the most approachable Merzbow album I'm familiar thus far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIsh1J4FbKU Check out this track and see If you are feeling it at all.

Vivid Short Trip 7 Stops Farther and Drop You Vivid Colors would be the best to start with.

I would recommend to start with "With Oden on Our Side". Or "Twilight of the Thunder God". Their most recent album is good too, but maybe a bit more harder to get into, just like their older stuff before "With Oden on our Side".

--

Ot Serdtsa k Nebu (От Сердца к Небу) probably. I'm surprised Arith hasn't popped in, she's she greatest Arkona fan around here. :lol:

So many recommendations : o Thanks a lot, all of you! I'll make sure to try them out.

I enjoyed this song the most:

That's a really good song! Thanks!

My recommendations:

Boris

If you're looking for some rockin' riffs: Heavy Rocks, Pink

If you're in an atmospheric post-rock mood: Flood

A bit of both: Smile

Zi:Kill

Any album is okay basically. Maybe In The Hole or Desert Town (or Rocket, for a more poppy sound).

Buck-Tick

If you're into a poppy but varied old-school sound: Seventh Heaven, Taboo

More mature/experimental and darker: Kurutta taiyou, Six/Nine

Electronic-influenced rock: Mona Lisa Overdrive

Gothy dark concept: 13kai wa gekkou

Straight-up pop-rock with some variation: Memento Mori

Kiyoharu

I suggest Mellow, to me it's his most perfect album: has a bit of everything, well-balanced.

Sads

Sad Blood Rock'n'Roll if you're in a punk-rock mood.

The Rose God Gave Me, if you're looking for something heavier, with a dark glam coating.

Kuroyume

Classic visual kei sound: Nakigara wo..., or Mayoeru yuritachi ~Romance of Scarlet~

Light but varied/experimenting pop-rock: Feminism, or FAKE STAR ~I'M JUST A JAPANESE FAKE ROCKER~

Pure punk-rock: Corkscrew

D'erlanger

From their classic/old-school albums: La Vie en Rose

From the post-reunion stuff: Lazzaro

Sorry, it got a bit long but most of these bands have such a varied catalogue of sounds.

Hope you'll find something to your liking! :)

To me there's only one way of listening to a band.

No matter what band you find, you should start with their first release, or earliest release available. That way you can follow their development, get of feeling of their ability to create their own sound. Or if they just screwed their sound and completely changed to something horrible (Girugämesh and Lycaon are perfect examples of bands screwing their original direction, and changing to a horrible monster!)

It's like reading a book, each band have their own story, and you just can't jump in right in the middle of it and expect to get the right "flow"

^ Yeah, actually that's the way I usually like to explore new bands. :) There are some bands though whose early stuff I find almost unlistenable but lovin' the new releases, so I guess it depends on bands + individual taste + luck too. :lol:

Yeah, a lot of bands just sound crappy on their first releases. I actually tend to start with the newest releases when first checking out a band. I expect a sound that's more matured, more versatile. Members can actually play their instruments, and they are more likely to have the means to make the songs sound like they actually want them to sound, in terms of production and recording. Yes, bands may change their style over time, but depending on personal tastes, who's to say that you don't like their later sound better? I know several of these examples.

As Jigsaw said, it really depends on the band and personal tastes.

If you really have the time to listen to the whole discography of a band, it probably doesn't matter where you start. But if you just want to have a first impression of a band before deciding if you like them at all, I don't think the very first release is always a good way to go. Probably something from the middle, or something representing the sound(s) they had in a specific period. After that you can still listen to all chronologically.

Can somebody help me out with getting into D'ERLANGER? I am curious about their sound, but they have released a lot of stuff and have such a massive career expan it's quite overwhelming.

^ Jigsaw9 already recommended their releases to bukimi_heishi on the second page:

D'erlanger

From their classic/old-school albums: La Vie en Rose

From the post-reunion stuff: Lazzaro

I agree, a lot of bands just sound crappy on their first releases. So you have to listen their own development since early times until leatest... you have to listen a lot of stuff before you can find out which is your "orientation" toward a band! Good luck!

Could anyone give me any hints as to where to start listening when it comes to BUCK-TICK? I've been meaning to check them out, but their discography is so big I didn't know where to start. I've heard three songs by them so far: JUPITER, DRESS and sapphire, and I liked all three of them.

^ If you liked those songs, I totally recommend their early '90s albums like Kurutta taiyou, darker than darkness -style93- or Six/Nine.

Also, here's a B-T albums recommendation of mine (from the previous page), hope it'll be useful. ^^

If you're into a poppy but varied old-school sound: Seventh Heaven, Taboo

More mature/experimental and darker: Kurutta taiyou, Six/Nine

Electronic-influenced rock: Mona Lisa Overdrive

Gothy dark concept: 13kai wa gekkou

Straight-up pop-rock with some variation: Memento Mori

The song Sapphire is on the One Life, One Death album btw, which seems to be a good "entry album" for B-T, or so I've noticed. ...actually personally it was the album that took the most time for me to enjoy thoroughly, but the majority of people seem to love it, so I dunno. :lol:

buck tick has many Compilations albums with best tracks.

if you want a general idea about their songs i say the latest would be fine.

i think it has all the most famous songs

it's big though i don't know if you wanted less songs for start or recommendations for albums and not a compination.

it's 3 discs for older songs and another 3 discs for new.

Catalogue Victor→Mercury 87–99 : for the older songs

Catalogue Ariola 00–10 : for the new songs

the songs you said are older songs before 2000 so i don't know if you would like better the older songs

also i recomment -"Muma The Nightmare" seems everyone likes this song

Favorite Shuuji 2 songs from Karry Garry ready go.

A.i.no.ka.wa.ki

Polaroid yuugi

Genshoku Elegant

Mama ga boku wo sutete Papa ga boku wo okashita hi

Mannequin

Yeah I always wanted to look into Ryuichi Sakamoto's music.

I would love a recommendation of your favorite album/ single/ demo etc.

I don't have time to be look into ;_;

thank you

edit: also Yoko Ono if any chance

I've been wanting to try 9GOATS BLACK OUT for a long time. Do you have any recommendations where to start?

At the beginning with devils in bedside. Go in order from there.

I tend to jump around a bit.  Usually I will listen to both their newest and their earliest to see how the styles match up and which I immediately gravitate towards.  If I like the earlier sound better right off the bat (for example), I will start exploring their earlier discography, and then I usually end up loving almost everything as I listen to them more.