Sign in to follow this  
iSin-Sama

Cradle of Filth

Yeah, CoF being black metal or not seems to be one of those never-ending debates, lol. xD I don't think they're black, they're more like 'extreme/dark metal with black and gothic influences' ...or something like that. :lol:

Anyway, I like them! :) My fave albums are Dusk...And Her Embrace and Midian. Their two longer EPs are pretty kickass too (V Empire and Bitter Suites...). The other stuff is okay too of course - though I have less and less of an urge to check out their newer stuff but it's not bad either. Lovin' Dani's lyrics and overall presentation too!

yep. I'm here.

it's just one thing.. they're NOT black metal :)

Really? They are tagged as Black Metal on Last.fm

Don't rely 100% on Last.fm tags :wink: There's a lot of shitty taggers on that site that will tag pop music as Black Metal and they're not even trolling.

This band is one of those, it's cool to hate bands. However, some of the dislike is because of the kind of fans they attract but otherwise I think most of the hate is because it's just cool to hate them without any real reason behind it other than "Dani Filth is a fag hur hur goths r dumb fags" and typical elitist metalhead circle jerk BS. I do agree that but I wouldn't really call them Black Metal, maybe Symphonic Black-ish metal? I dunno, I hate trying to throw things into a genre but at least they should have symphonic somewhere in it I think. Just that if you listen to a band considered Black Metal and then CoF, they just don't sound alike. CoF feels more polished (they're on a major label though) and cleaner than your typical "I EAT WORMS HAIL SATAN" Black Metal.

Anyway, here to say that Midian is my favorite release from them, I also have the compilation album Lovecraft and Witches Hearts which I also really like, because I have that I never bother to explore their discography as much since I was pretty satisfied with those two releases. Amor E Morte is my favorite song from them, could leave that on forever. Especially the extended version on the compilation release.

The last release I listened to them was the Nymphetamine EP and I didn't really like the title track and didn't listen to anymore from them after that. I didn't like the vocalist who I think is from Leave's Eyes, now their opera singer she's tight. Maybe one day I'll give their newer stuff a go.

For me this band been kainda joke , I liked old material and really care about that new one

I remember i once hung a gigantic poster of them at one point of my lifetime.

But i don't know where is it now nor knowing where my admiration for them went.

But this topic makes me want to do 2 hrs drive to L.A,

where i exactly remember i have stored some of COD CDs along with some other bands' in a plastic box in his cellar cos i never hear it anymore. :U

Shiiiit, so much hate. Expected all of you to love this stuff :P

The earliest stuff is decent, especially the second album. Their imagery was always pretty "gay" so to say ( which is why they succeeded as an mallcore band and as an T-shirt factory ), but I didn't mind since I couldn't make out the lyrics anyway. After Dusk it just got worse and worse and worse until they did the hilariously awful rock song " Forgive Me Father " after which I decided not to go on even for the lulz.

And Pantera is the Nickelback of metal. Everybody knows that.

And Pantera is the Nickelback of metal. Everybody knows that.

LOL

If anything Pantera, mainly Dimebag Darrel is like the Hide of metal. Metalheads circlejerk all over the band (Darrel) and to me it's very reminiscent to the Hide circlejerk you see with Visual Kei fans.

After Dusk it just got worse and worse and worse until they did the hilariously awful rock song " Forgive Me Father " after which I decided not to go on even for the lulz.

I hear that a lot which has discouraged me from trying their newer material.

the band's tenth studio album, The Manticore And Other Horrors will see the light on October 29th.

tumblr_m8y37ybYKk1qmehaoo1_500.jpg

a confirmed tracklisting is as follows:

01. The Unveiling Of O

02. The Abhorrent

03. For Your Vulgar Delectation

04. Illicitus

05. Manticore

06. Frost On Her Pillow

07. Huge Onyx Wings Behind Despair

08. Pallid Reflection

09. Siding With The Titans

10. Succumb To This

11. Nightmares Of An Ether Drinker

12. Death, The Great Adventure *Deluxe Edition Digipak

13. Sinfonia *Deluxe Edition Digipak

I don't really fancy the cover and that track pretty much sounds like typical average CoF. Still, I guess I'll listen to the album when it comes out. They're not bad.

There's rumors that Cradle of Filth are finally gonna release the 1995 version of Dusk... and Her Embrace. For those unaware, this album was recorded and supossed to be the bands second proper release after The Principle of Evil Made Flesh, but they took their label to court at the time and the release was delayed. The band then lost some members then recorded V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein instead, before they re-recorded Dusk... and Her Embrace. So next year we'll finally hear the original Dusk... and Her Embrace.

Dusk... and Her Embrace is Cradle of Filth' best release to date alogn with V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein and a proper black metal masterpiece to me, and finally getting to hear the original recording excites me. I'm not gonna say anything for sure, but if I am not mistaken it has different keys and some different guitar parts which should make it a very different album. I think it might be a bit rawer and closer to The Principle of Evil Made Flesh in sound. So less gothic and more black metal. But I am not sure. Think it's planned for a march release. I can't wait!

Guest lynchisizer

am I allowed to ask if anyone of you could recommend me a Cradle Of Filth album to listen to? :o a friend of mine always wants me to become a COF fan, but I dunno where I should start, they released a lot of stuff, so I dunno which album I should start with, which album is the best to get into COF etc...

^ When I got into them, I started with Midian - still my favorite album from them!

- if you enjoy a more rawer sound, but with the signature Cradle gothiness: Dusk and Her Embrace

- if you want polished, punchy, epic and awesome: Midian

- if you'd like to crank the epicness up to 11 (and enjoy longer albums): Damnation and a Day

The early stuff is cool too (basically anything up to the Damnation... album), but these would be my initial rec's. :)

It depends on if you want black metal or extreme goth metal, but if you are just gonna check out one album then then I'd say Dusk and Her Embrace which is their best album and a true black metal classic. Haunting, gothic atmosphere with a proper vampire-feeling to it. If you want something closer to extreme goth metal with lots of heavy metal then I'd say Damnation and a Day which is the best of the albums post-Cruelty and the Beast.

Hammer of the Witches are totally recommended as well. Their newest album and probably their best since 1998's Cruelty and the Beast. And it's a ste back to a more black metal sound as well. Still have to give it a few more rounds, but it sounds very, very good.

Not only is Hammer of the Witches the best since Damnation and a Day (for sure), but maybe even Cruelty and the Beast, it also has the best artwork since Dusk and Her Embrace. Ever sine Midian I think the bands artwork has been rather poor IMO. Midian, Damnation and a Day and Nymphetamine are OK, but the rest sucks and for the past 10 years they've looked awful. Cheap, boring and efortless. But Hammer of the Witches features a proper good, fitting cover that give me the chills. It's the kind of cover I'd like to have a a big-ass-poster and hang on my wall.

cradle-of-filth-hammer-of-the-witches.jp

Been playing both The Principle of Evil Made Flesh and Midin a lot lately as I transfered both to my MP3 player not long ago, and Midian I just hadn't heard in many years as I remembered it as poor. Far from their best, but not as poor as I remembered. A rather enjoyable album. The Principle of Evil Made Flesh is a masterpiece. Always been, always will be. Thought I'd try to make a top 5 list. The two first are equal, though. Which one is best of the two depends on my mood.

1. Dusk... and Her Embrace (10/10)

More symphonic and technical than the bands' previous releases, and an album that would define Cradle of Filth's sound. Whenever someone talk bout Cradle of Filth it's the sexual, vampiric and gothic atmospher eof this they think of. And Dani Filth delivers his best lyrics ever. It's so well-written, focused and amazing. Say what you want about Dani Filth, Cradle of Filth or this album, but there isn't many out there who is as talented as this man. He's simply a big writer, and this is one of those albums that are worth your time based on the lyrics alone. They are that good. The production is fantastic as well. The guitars sounds amazing and the drums are pue magic. That sound, man. Beautiful! Perfection! Standout tracks are every single one, but the title track Dusk and Her Embrace and Haunted Shores.

2. V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein (10/10)

An EP that was hastily written and recorded just to end their relationship with label Cacophonous Records, but that is something you'd not be able to tell from the sound of it. The sound of the EP is more focused than the debut, and it's a lot more original than than the debut featuring a more gothic and vampiric sound, something that would become the trademark of the band in the following years. Less brutal and more emphasis on melodies and atmosphere. More technical than the debut as well. Brilliant EP, and all sounds here are standout tracks. The 10 minute long epic Queen of Winter, Throned and rerecorded version of The Forest Whispers My Name, which is both faster and better than the original, are easily the highlight of the EP. A perfect mix of what once was and what would be. Perfection!

3. The Principle of Evil Made Flesh (9/10)

Their rawest and most brutal album to date, and an album full of death-thrash riffing. Cradle of Filth's trademark gothic atmosphere are present, but not quite as prominent as it would be on the next release. And already here, Dani Filth , 22 years at the time of its release, showcases some mad writing skills and prove himself a proper poet in the making even though he would become a lot better and more mature already for the next release. Just check out the lyrics for The Forest Whispers My Name, which also happens to be one of the standout tracks here along with The Principle of Evil Made Flesh, To Eve the Art of Witchcraft and Summer Dying Fast. Superb album!

4. Cruelty and the Beast (9/10)

Music-wise this album is superb, a continuation of Dusk... and Her Embrace but with a lot more heavy metal in the sound. Dani Filth shines once again and the lyrics are well-written and really impressive. However, they fucked up the production big time and the drums sounds awful, especially the bass drums, and Sarah Jezebel Deva's vocals sounds very off too. But despite this I am fully capable of enjoying the album which says all you need to know about the music here. Exceptional! Deserves to be released with a slightly different mix. Best tracks is Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids
 and Bathory Aria: Benighted like Usher, a Murder of Ravens in Fugue, Eyes That Witnessed Madness. Also, a big bonus is the narration done by Ingrid Pitt, one of my favourite actresses ever, and a girl who actually played Elizabeth Bathory in the masterpiece Countess Dracula. This album happens to be a concept album based on Elizabeth Bathory as well. That alone is cool as fuck! Also, great lyrics by Dani Filth once again. Would've been a 10 if not for the production.

5. Damnation and a Day (8/10)

Heavy metal oriented gothic metal with catchy tunes and great lyrics as usual. But at 75 minutes this album is 15-20 minutes too long, but at its best this album is amazing. Tracks like The Promise of Fever, Better to Reign in Hell, Babalon A.D. (So Glad for the Madness), Mannequin and Thank God for the Suffering are total classics. And it's not like this album features any bad songs, because it doesn't. All songs are good, but it's still too long. This entire album has a movie soundtrack feeling to it, which makes it easy to enjoy and a fine start for people who are not into extreme metal to begin with. But it's too long, like most albums released since this. Such a shame.

Sign in to follow this